Basement House Footings Poured Out Of Level 2 - Walls Up

Old 01-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Developer
Rewards Points: 2

Basement House Footings Poured Out Of Level 2 - Walls Up

Im specing a house build. Its 24x56 on a narrow lot in the city. Full basement, frame construction

Long story short I found after the walls were poured, underground plumbing done and as they were prepping the basement slab that the footings were not level. They are 2 higher on the 56 long wall at the rear of the property than they are the front. So with that if they poured a 4 slab as was specd the walls would be lower at the rear than front of house by 2.

I called my GC who of course said no big deal, why you worrying. The foundation contractor blamed the lazer

I called my architect who said it was a pretty major mistake. But not enough to pull it down

Now the floor was poured and its 6 deeper in the front than the back of the house and it appears to be ok. Although grade is off 2 from front to back.

Im pretty pissed about this and consider it complete incompetence. Give me your opinion on this. How Big of a deal is this? The footings literally being lower on one end of the house then other

I havent paid anything for this job yet and am thinking of talking to my attorney before writing a check.

Am I over reacting? Is there any long term effect / issues that could arise here?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,458

Re: Basement House Footings Poured Out Of Level 2 - Walls Up

wtf? Hire a builder.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
New Guy

I have a GC I just stopped there to check progress. WTF was my response as well.

What should I do have them tear it out and start over? Kind of my thought

Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,226

Are the concrete foundation walls level at the top? I'm a little confused about the numbers. The floor is 6" deeper even though the footings are 2" deeper?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,324

I think he probably means it's 6" deep at one end, and 4" at the other.

As long as the top of the foundation is level and the walls plumb and where they are supposed to be, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Are the concrete foundation walls level at the top? I'm a little confused about the numbers. The floor is 6" deeper even though the footings are 2" deeper?
Yes appears level in relation to the poured floor. I checked various measurements of wall height and they all come in at 67" which is what is on print. In Chicago we build on a Knee wall. Windows are framed in the Knee wall.

The footings appear to be 2" lower in front than rear of house. So it sloped 2" from back to front

Itsbasically a rectangle house. front and rear are 24' wide and sides are 56' long. At the rear the slab is 4" thick and at front it's 6". Slab is level
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
I think he probably means it's 6" deep at one end, and 4" at the other.

As long as the top of the foundation is level and the walls plumb and where they are supposed to be, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That is correct
Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 874

Did the next higher bidder offer to build the house square, level and plumb, or was that the high bid?

Why did you let them pour the floor if you were concerned about the walls being out of level?

Pouring a slab to give you the same reveal on the basement walls doesn't make the walls level, what is going to happen when the 1st floor goes on top of those basement walls?

what does your contract spec for quality of work?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
New Guy

The GC I hired included the foundation in the total bid. The plans detail all the foundation and detail and was fully approved by the City who issued the permit.

The GC is also doing all the framing and is saying he can fix it all with the framing.

I have doubts which is why I'm on here asking.

So what your saying is, it's not level. I can see it wouldn't be level according to grade but level according to basement floor??

The lot does slope towards the back.

I'm pissed but I haven't paid anything. I'm tempted to have them pull everything and start over
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,883

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement