2nd Story Bath Addition...or Not.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Remodel

2nd Story Bath Addition...or Not.

Remodeling kitchen and mud room in my two story 1936 home. Part of the kitchen was an addition and bumps out about 4 feet and has a nearly flat roof on it. This bump out was not continued up to the second story. Above the kitchen is the bathroom shared by all three bedrooms upstairs. It's pretty small. Since I will be opening up the ceiling in the kitchen and knocking out the wall to the living room I question whether it would be much more difficult to bump the bathroom out over that little roof at the same time. Can this be done relatively easily? Is it expensive if I do it myself? Are there obvious issues/difficulties with this that I don't see due to my lack of framing experience? Please see attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd story bath addition...or not.-15122409005241386102967_1512240918104.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 180

Re: 2nd Story Bath Addition...or Not.

Are you involved in the construction industry professionally?

We will offer help, when we know a bit more about the poster.

Delta

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Sorry, thought my profile listed those details. I'm 37 and an avid DIY'er with an eye for detail but a good big picture view of most projects. I'm a licensed Builder in the state of Michigan and have owned my own remodeling company for 6 months. I have been involved in residential and some commercial construction for 6 years and flipped 15 houses with a team of three. I'm pretty good at drywall, decent at framing, electric, HVAC and plumbing, and fare very well at just about any finish work I've encountered as I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it's necessary. Corian countertops to hardwoods to complex custom trim, to tile, vinyl siding, wall coverings, masonry, I'll do anything I can get my hands on and thirst for new knowledge ... But alas, Jack of all master of none.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VADA For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (12-02-2017), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (12-03-2017)

Old 12-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,200

When was the addition put on? any drawings?
So many times homes that old have had DIY additions and I mean DIY, framed with scraps and hand full of nails.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

By the time you frame up a space like that realistically how much space are you going to get out of it.

Factor in having to run all the plumbing electrical and what not is it worth the time and effort?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

I would guess the early 70's. They did add to the stone and cement foundation walls and extend it under the kitchen sans any sign of a slab. No drawings or anything. Walls and attic show scabbed together mazes of true twos and a variety of other reused building materials such as pieces of a church door for floor joists in the mud room, 4" t&g hardwoods for sill plates, and 3/16" ply for walls. So sorry I can't tell you more. Demo was planned for today but wife got sick so I've got kid duty.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

It would push this wall back another 4.5 feet. Plumbing is already being rerouted to take out wall between kitchen and living room. (There's a small bathroom in the kitchen that's going away) Pictured is the second floor bath.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd story bath addition...or not.-15122504364581989604782_1512250455424.jpg  

Last edited by VADA; 12-02-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Goin' Down in Flames....

Thanks for the participating in our vetting process.

First thing I would check is the foundation. I'm not familiar with Michigan building codes, but here in California, the footing requirements are different for 1 or 2 story structures. So if the footing was only poured for a single story addition, it'll probably be more money than you want to spend to try to beef it up to support a second story.

If the footing/foundation checks out, you'll need to have a look at the wall framing.

Delta
Old 12-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
Goin' Down in Flames....

The framing for that is a couple days max. Tear off, sheath the floor, and frame a couple walls.

What is the biggest issue, is what are you doing with the roof? You don't have any headroom to continue that roof down, and a short gable is gonna look like hell.

If ScipioAfricanus checks in on this thread, he'd have some good ideas about what to do with the roof. Or Warren.

Delta
Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

Awesome Delta. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have never seen a corner that brought three roof lines like this together in a sensible manner.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #11

Thank you Delta.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
Goin' Down in Flames....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADA View Post
Awesome Delta. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have never seen a corner that brought three roof lines like this together in a sensible manner.
I suck at design. ScipioAfricanus is a really good draftsman/designer who is pretty active here, and Warren is a master framer, especially with roofs, and he's active here as well.

Delta
Old 12-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADA View Post
I would guess the early 70's. They did add to the stone and cement foundation walls and extend it under the kitchen sans any sign of a slab. No drawings or anything. Walls and attic show scabbed together mazes of true twos and a variety of other reused building materials such as pieces of a church door for floor joists in the mud room, 4" t&g hardwoods for sill plates, and 3/16" ply for walls. So sorry I can't tell you more. Demo was planned for today but wife got sick so I've got kid duty.
I would expect to reframe that 1st story wall. Many people on drugs building in the 70s
Old 12-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,831

I believe You're going to have to lower the roof pitch on that side to bring it out over the addition. I'm guessing the existing roof system is 100+ years old. You may be stuck upgrading that whole section of roof to bring it up to code once you touch it. Either way, It's an expensive proposition.

Obviously, avoid making a blind valley
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,479

I see some problems with the roof. I don't see a simple way to do it. That area is already not ideal, with the 2 different fascia heights there. I think I would recommend doing a shed dormer off of the higher roof, ending in a fascia that is the same as the higher one currently.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,408

I'm not a big fan of flat roofs, but the simplest thing would be to raise the flat roof so that it is even with the eave of the lower roof and fall to the long wall of the addition. The water from above is already falling on the flat roof, so in my mind it is a little bit better situation than what you have now. Another option would still be to have the flat roof meet the eve on the higher roof, and fall to the short wall of the addition. I don't think that either of these options would look any worse than what you already have.

Warren's way would look more professional (or less patched together) as a whole.

Either way the biggest concern is to make sure that the roof is supported properly after you remove the existing wall. It can be tough to get a point load carried down to the foundation, even more so if it is balloon framed.
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #17
Pro

could do this.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd story bath addition...or not.-window.jpg  
Old 12-30-2017, 12:29 AM   #18

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 186

1st is that the you will need to make sure that the new floor beams will match the bathroom floor level. The kitchen bump out wall plates may be set at a point that will cause a problem for your new floor beams to match up.

Also, i see the up above there are 2 different gable rooflines meeting right in that corner. You will need to know your framing in order to make that look good.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #19

Thanks for everyone's comments. Decided not to do the expansion. The remodel inside the kitchen turned into a beast once I got the walls open. Next week a framing crew will be installing a 16' double or triple LAM beam across the separation of the kitchen from the living room. Then hanging three 10" LAM's off the sides to support the rooms above (the ones that had the load walls cut out in a previous remodel). So much for a budget!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to VADA For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (01-06-2018)