Wrapping Round Windows

Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Home Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Wrapping Round Windows

Went to look at the detail and bid a large siding job. Cust wants all casings wrapped in aluminum. I am fairly experienced but I have never had to wrap round or curved windows. This job has both. Any suggestions on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Wrapping Round Windows

Make an L for the inside of the wrap then relief cut about every 1'' or2" so it will bend around the arch. Face nail the tabs created by relief cuts.Hold a piece of coil large enough to cover the arch and trace around the inside of the arch.Trim to fit so that it hangs down ever so slightly(about 1/16")I prefer to glue it on as opposed to face nails.Or you can make your wrap and cut it into about 6" pieces and install around the arch in pieces.I prefer the first method!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 54

Those relief cuts may not be acceptable to your customer, I would do a sample, and show them what to expect.

But....You could try to talk them into wood composite and replace the existing wood on the difficult windows, and wrap the easy ones.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Home Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the suggestions. I will just have to try to see what works best. The funny thing I am dealing with now is finding black coil stock. This guy is certain that he wants white on white siding, black facia, gutters, and trim. My guttering sub has no idea where to find black downspouts.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Pro

[QUOTE=Pearce Services;202589]Those relief cuts may not be acceptable to your customer, I would do a sample, and show them what to expect.

Those relief cuts are not seen, they are covered by the piece that was traced and put over top.The relief cuts are just to allow the inside jam to bend around.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by house bldr View Post

Those relief cuts are not seen, they are covered by the piece that was traced and put over top.The relief cuts are just to allow the inside jam to bend around.
Last one I did, (yours must be a better way) I did cover it with a flat piece, but from underneath you could see the tabs, I left them exposed, and did not like the look, but did not want to cover it because I did not want to trap moisture.

Do you have any pictures of an install? I'd like to see a better way than my last one. BTW, mine was a bow window, not palladian.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Pro

Sorry I don't have any pics(or the knowledge to post them) but Tom R posted some pics of an arch he did a few months back that looked good, maybe you could do a search and take a look at them.He did pretty much what I'm trying to describe.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Pro

Tom, If you are out there, can you link me, or repost a few of those pictures, I went back about 200 posts of your, and could not find the pictures of the windows you wrapped in aluminum.....THX

However I did get a good feel for your political bias.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
my own boss

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

house bldr

i remember those pics but i cant find the thread..

Pearce...you wont master that one in one try, but what bldr explained is the neatest way and keep searcin for Tom R's pics...from what ive seen of his (pics), he does impeccable work and worthy of listening to, no matter his political leanings..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Home Improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Mr. Pearce I tried to call you yesterday !! Did you change your # ? Give me a call.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #11
Pro

Paul, I'll PM You....Kevin
Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #12

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

If anyone here has a picture of a wrapped round window or arch, please post it. I have tried a few different ways and never came out with anything that I feel acceptable to me. I just tell customers that round openings can not be wrapped and either replace the brickmould with new maitenance free products or put a new coat of paint on.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #13

Trade: Siding
Rewards Points: 25

i have wrapped many round openings and found the only way to make it look decent was to trace the metal around the window and the flex J and Liquid Nail the metal to the wood. I then would caulk around the flex and the window.... I would never attempt this with black coil... If you havent already done this job I would talk the HO out of using black coil.. Absorbs too much heat and in a year I would bet you would see bubbles everwhere....There is a reason nobody uses that on thier house

Advertisement