Windows - Milgard Vs. Anderson

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: scab
Rewards Points: 500

Windows - Milgard Vs. Anderson

I just took on a new fire-restoration job in a california city with huge emphasis on historic preservation. The original windows are wood. Vinyl is prohibitive according to local codes. So fiberglass replacement windows are being considered as they can be painted/ordered to replace destroyed windows in-kind. All the windows were either destroyed by fire or by fire supression, I'm looking at over 30 windows.

Does anyone have experience as to which is a more durable and cost-effective window manufacturer (Milgard, Marvin or Anderson)?

Is it possible to order double-hung windows with a top-sash with grids and the bottom sash without grids...and the glazing would be matte/obsecure on the upper sash, normal glaziing low-e on the bottom sash??

Last edited by slowforthecones; 06-28-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 4,540

Re: Windows - Milgard Vs. Anderson

Marvin will make you whatever you want, as long as you can afford it.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
Pro

Thanks. I am exploring simonton impression 7200 windows for my own home and this project. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 520

I'm curious how you got the job before you even knew which window your going to use? Why not use any wood clad matching window
Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Pro

How? it's a fire restoration job, I'm the structural engineer and g.c. Whynot wood clad or fiberglass.. Cost!! Customer is on a budget since this is insurance..but insurance isn't paying for all the windows...just some. So I made him a deal, do all of them in vinyl instead of half in fiber wood clad.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Pro

thought you said vinyl was out, wouldn't meet code. If your replacing frames as well as sashes you won't pay much if any more for wood clad. I'm also guessing the insurance adjuster has allowed for wood windows on his/her settlement. Whats costing more? A hugh emphasis on historic preservation? this seems contrary to your goals of furnishing a "cheaper" window so you can do them all. For the record its andersen windows
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Pro

The customer was paid out in cash by insurance so in order for me to get the job, I agreed to some bonus items for the customer out of my profit. I'm a engineer so I'm in a unique position to offer design/build value.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Pro

translation? You now are giving work away, lowering the standards of a historic district, and quite possibly headed for a fall. So do you giveaway your engineering also? I still don't know how you landed this repair without submitting a contract spelling out the specs of the job. You may be a fine engineer a contractor you are not.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

I've done a few insurance jobs and in fact I've got one pending. The way it usually works up here is the HO takes bids, turns them into insurance Co., then gets approval for funds and HO picks contractor that falls in the price said insurance co. approves. Cash payment? Things run different in Ca. I guess.

Historic district is a whole other can of worms I don't get. Wood means wood, not vinyl clad or other. I think you're walking a slippery slope here and you best be careful.
www.phbconstruction.com

Last edited by Paulie; 11-16-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Pro

In California, owners have a right to cash out on the property from insurance and decided to bulldoze scrap the building too. In his case I'm not sure why he choose the cash option.

Actually there is a contract, it's being worked out. I made a proposal to be final into a contract soon. They gave a variance/exception for the windows.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: retired
Rewards Points: 2,000

x2 with Marvin. Also Norwood Windows & Doors - smaller company - pricing is comparible. More customizing options probably. Search for them on the web, I don't know if they have locations in CA.