Windows. American Craftsman?? Taylors??

Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 129

Windows. American Craftsman?? Taylors??

Hey guys, I'm looking into replacing my windows come spring. Right now I have double pane aluminum frome windows circa 1984. Most are hazed over and are a huge pain to open. The American Craftsman line by Anderson at Home Depot seems decent. I'm not looking for top of the line or bottom of the barrel. Something "good" that will keep the heat out better in the sumer and in in the winter.

For 9 windows its roughly 1500 $ and I plan on having a carpenter buddy install them.

Another company I looked into is alled Taylors and they are made locally in SC and sold direct. Windows & installation are around 4500 $

The only think I noticed was the Taylors have no metal in the glass that would hold it to the sash and they say it helps with sealing as the metal doesnt expand and contract. I think the Anderson windows have metal in them.

Advice would be helpful

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Windows. American Craftsman?? Taylors??

american craftsman windows that home depot sells here in new jersey are made by silver line. they're a vinyl replacement window and have nothing to do with andersen. their better line is not a bad window. stay away from the cheap line that they sell. they're junk.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

If you dont want "bottom of the barrel" then you don't want anything labeled American Crafstman.... Check out some builder supply houses in your area like ABC, Richards, Allied, etc. Softlite,Gorell, Sunrise, and Plygem all sell some of their windows through distribution and would be solid choices in vinyl.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
If you dont want "bottom of the barrel" then you don't want anything labeled American Crafstman.... Check out some builder supply houses in your area like ABC, Richards, Allied, etc. Softlite,Gorell, Sunrise, and Plygem all sell some of their windows through distribution and would be solid choices in vinyl.
Good reply. These are really cheap windows. Some specifics are they have very thin vinyl frames, both the main frame and sash rails many times bow. They have poor quality control, especially on replacement windows(special order sizes). The balances may be too strong or too weak to hold the sash properly, grids may be wrong, tilt locks may be mis-aligned causing the sashes to chatter in the frame when the window is locked. These are all very common problems.

They can also be hard to repair, sometimes I think Silverline got a great deal on parts and hardware and bought enough to last 20 years, because some of the ways they build windows are things other companies did 20 years ago but have since been updated 5 times.

Edited to add Simonton to the list of decent windows to look for, not too expensive and a very solid window.

Last edited by W-Tinc; 11-08-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Woodworker
Rewards Points: 1,062

Look at the SHGC and U factor on any window you're considering. Then look at the warranty from the manufacturer. It's also worth googling a potential window manufacturer and model to see if there are any known problems with their windows.

Now one note on aluminum window replacements. Aluminum window replacements are tricky because they typically have a nailing flange which is fastened through the sheathing and is behind the siding, or trim boards, or brick. Also, aluminum windows are very narrow (1 1/2" plus or minus) whereas vinyl replacement windows are 3 1/4" thickness plus or minus. That means you don't just pull out the aluminum and pop in the vinyl replacement as you would if you were dealing with wood windows.

My preference when dealing with aluminum windows is to replace with new construction windows and then re-trim out the interior. The other option is to use a replacement window which you either cut back the drywall return (or jamb material) and slide the window in or you undersize it to fit inside of the drywall or jamb. Either of those options requires reworking the exterior trim up to the siding.

My preference for the new construction window comes from the fact that we're able to better flash a new construction window.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor

yes. simonton makes a great vinyl window.

i've had a silverline window come in once with a piece of nasal booger in between the glass. unreal!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISM37 View Post
i've had a silverline window come in once with a piece of nasal booger in between the glass. unreal!
That is awesome!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Pro

RemodelGA, I was planning on going with the new const kind and doing what you mentioned. Only think I may have to do is cut more out of the trim since the new windows may be thicker. House is wood siding with 2x4 trimmed around the windows.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Pro

If the interior has jamb material and casing, what I would do is rip out the jamb and casing (be careful when removing the casing not to tear the drywall). The new construction windows typically come with jambs and then all you have to do is add casing. If you step up a size of casing, you don't have to worry about the wall/casing caulk joint as it will be covered.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Pro

Dammit, I just painted.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrzoz00 View Post
Dammit, I just painted.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

You could pull the 2x4's off, cut the wood siding back just past the old windows nail fins, and just pull the old windows out. You may find the window fins right under the 2x4 with no extra cutting.

Then you could mark a line where the new windows need to extend into the jamb and cut it. If its wood you can use a skill saw and finish the corners with a multitool of some sort. No disturbing your new paint then.

Even though you are planning to use new windows with fins it would be a good idea to bend a drip cap to go up under the wood siding and out over the 2x4 on top, wether the trim is getting wrapped or not.

If you hire someone to do it make sure you get it in writing you want windows with fins installed like new construction windows, many times people just fit the window into the existing jamb and it would be an easy thing to slip through the cracks and cause a big problem.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Pro

W, Thats exactly what my carpenter buddy said he'd do. I think it's just up to what brand now.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: sales

American craftsman are complete garbage and I question any contractor that would suggest using them. It's always the same story..I have a buddy that will do the install la bla bla..in other words, you want to go the cheap route. If your installer buddy was a true window guy, he would never even think of using American craftsman. Plenty of Hugh grade vinyl windows and American craftsman ain't one of them. Simonton 5500 and 9800 are average..
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #15

Trade: GC

Take a look at Hayfield, real nice windows for the price, they are very popular here, probably because they are built in Hayfield MN. They are worth a look I have installed quite a few of them in the past few years.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #16

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

IF you can get them in your area I love the Paradigm line of windows out of Portland Maine. They make an excellent vinyl new construction as well as replacement windows. After the fact service is also very good. Best of luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwctbuilder View Post
IF you can get them in your area I love the Paradigm line of windows out of Portland Maine. They make an excellent vinyl new construction as well as replacement windows. After the fact service is also very good. Best of luck!
I'll agree with Paradigm's. We've installed quite a few and it's what I put in my last house. They do make a good window. Unlike most other manufacturers, their replacement windows didn't have to be modified to meet the energy tax credit - they were always that well insulated.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: exteriors
Rewards Points: 272

This is a relatively old post I suppose but am responding to it anyway.
I just completed a 14 double hung window job with Sheetrock returns/ jambs. Guess what brand of windows needed to be replaced ? You guessed it, American Craftsman vinyl windows by Andersen. These are truly one of the lowest quality windows I ever have to deal with and they were only 3 years old. These were the 9500 series supposedly their top of the line but my gosh, what a flimsy ,cheap looking window. The homeowners were complaining of air leakage and warped Sash's which is very common in lower end windows.
Anyway. We cut the drywall back using a multi master and it made things easy, pretty straight line.
The other contractor using the American Craftsman just set the window between the drywall. Technically you can do that but you need to trim the stool and set the window behind it.
Be warned, American Craftsman is the same as Silverline.
Just because its owned by Andersen in no way means its a decent window, its absolute garbage.

Advertisement