Window Labor Warranty....what Do You Guys

Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 500

Window Labor Warranty....what Do You Guys

what do you guys do for your window labor warranty? i have seen some giving a lifetime? then some 1 year and some 5 years. can anyone tell me why they all don't give lifetime? its a selling point.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Window Labor Warranty....what Do You Guys

Post your location, please. Up here, the law is one year on labour. After that, who knows what the HO has been doing. I don't warranty anything for life.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

We do a 7 year installation warranty. A longer warrany is a good selling point.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,014

I only do doors, but a lifetime warranty on labor?? That's asking for trouble. 15 years from now when the windows start having problems they will want you to change them all for free. I give 1 year.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
what do you guys do for your window labor warranty? i have seen some giving a lifetime? then some 1 year and some 5 years. can anyone tell me why they all don't give lifetime? its a selling point.
The only reason they give a lifetime, is because they know... they will be nowhere to be found
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,022

I always just tell them, "if you EVER have a problem with ANYTHING, no matter how small or tiny you think it is, call me"

simple as that. We're not out running mass sales so my audience is completely different than the audience sales based only places are, that have to cover their butt since mass production + general public dont equate to long term trouble free installs. I used to sub in the beginning and got to see how shops developed bad reputations, sell to anybody and hire anybody to keep installs flowing....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:
Home Serve (03-09-2010), rock16 (03-09-2010), Tom Struble (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 512
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
I only do doors, but a lifetime warranty on labor?? That's asking for trouble. 15 years from now when the windows start having problems they will want you to change them all for free. I give 1 year.
If the installation fails because of workmanship we fix it or replace it free. I can count on one hand the times this has happened in my 32 years. If you do your installations correctly this won't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
The only reason they give a lifetime, is because they know... they will be nowhere to be found

In a word, no. My 32 years in business disagrees with you.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

When asked about the labor waranty I do explain that window components do wear out, glass can break and screens will tear and it might cost a little for a repair. Give me a call and I'll be there.

When you get a call it sometimes lead to another project.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

I agree with Buddy... An installation warranty is just a guarantee that you've done a proper install. If I have not, I'm going to fix it for free whether it is in 6 months or 15yrs. I have good manufacturer support on glass-breakage, screens, etc all being covered so its a win-win for everybody. The way I look at it is that if I'm going to do it anyway, I may as well advertise it..... I can see how this would be harder to do on custom remodeling projects, but windows are so straight forward it only makes sense. Even if the customer has an issue that is not due to installation and not covered by the manufacturer, I still fix it. It is worth far more than a couple hundred bucks to keep a satisfied customer. Referrals are the best lead source, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-10-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: windows and doors/ construction supervisor
Rewards Points: 150

my windows have a 20 year or a 40 year warranty(100% material), my labour a 5 year warranty. After 5 years, if a seal goes or handle breaks, depending on the time and hassle, I'll just charge an hourly rate. There is a company around here that has a lifetime warranty on windows and labour. They are double or triple my rate, but the catch is that the warranty is not transferable after 10 years. Not worth the extra cost. I tell people if they want to pay double, I'll give them any warranty they want