Vinyl Vs. Fiberglass Windows

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl Vs. Fiberglass Windows

I Live in a cold climate (Upstate NY) and have been hearing that vinyl windows, due to the difference in the expansion and contraction between the vinyl and the glass, have a lower lifespan than fiberglass windows. I'm looking at the Marvin Integrity Series (all ultrex) vs.Paradigm (vinyl) for an upcoming house. Anyone with experience in this area ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Supply
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Vinyl Vs. Fiberglass Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter 22 View Post
I Live in a cold climate (Upstate NY) and have been hearing that vinyl windows, due to the difference in the expansion and contraction between the vinyl and the glass, have a lower lifespan than fiberglass windows. I'm looking at the Marvin Integrity Series (all ultrex) vs.Paradigm (vinyl) for an upcoming house. Anyone with experience in this area ?

well I would imagine you have seen the claims of both types of product. In my experience (which is all based on contractor feedback) the fiberglass is a big hit. Strength, energy transfer, expansion rate, heat retention etc. .

Integrity will also now make an all ultrex to order in all colors (this is great).

Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemfk View Post
well I would imagine you have seen the claims of both types of product. In my experience (which is all based on contractor feedback) the fiberglass is a big hit. Strength, energy transfer, expansion rate, heat retention etc. .

Integrity will also now make an all ultrex to order in all colors (this is great).

you are paying too much attention to the Marvin rep. The vinal windows are fine in our climate, I have some that are over 20 years and still working fine.
That being said, I do like the Marvin line!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
you are paying too much attention to the Marvin rep. The vinal windows are fine in our climate, I have some that are over 20 years and still working fine.
That being said, I do like the Marvin line!

I'm not saying it's a no brainer, but the fiberglass does offer a sturdier product. I have seen more then my fair share of vinyl windows gone bad. That being said, vinyl has been on market much longer.

The biggest benefit I see in the Ultrex Marvin in the bronze exterior. I ahve never seen a brown exterior vinyl window I feel comfortable with. i think this could be a big hit with condos and townhomes that require brown windows.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

You're trying to compare a BMW with a Dodge. I am familiar with both lines of windows and have installed both. As far a vinyl windows go, the Paradigm ones are one of the better ones but they still don't hold a candle to Marvin Integrity. You're comparing apples to oranges. You are definitely right though, the fiberglass and glass combination is far superior in that it contracts and expands at virtually the same rate. The seals will last longer, the exterior will not chaulk, fade, or get brittle, and with a company like Marvin, you know they will stand up with their warranty.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #6

I just need to compare prices, another vendor is telling me that Pella has a fiberglass line that is respectable.... looks like it will be between Pella and Marvin.... unless anyone knows of another fiberglass product they would recomend.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Mickey

Trade: residential remodeling

I have used the Pella Impervia and like them a lot. I'm not sure if they are fiberglass, I think Pella calls them a composite. Supposedly the finish is a powder coat. I think they have been out about 10 years so don't know how it lasts long term. Plus I really like Pella's system for finishing the frame out on the outside. I have put quite a few in and never had a problem.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #8

Trade: Energy Efficient Building

The coefficient of expansion and contraction for fiberglass frames and the plate glass is nearly identical. This minimizes air infiltration when it is the coldest or hottest out, so when you need insulation the most!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Home Pro

Trade: problem solver

I have dealt with fiberglass products in the past, in the elements. How are these windows finished? Gel Coated? how do they hold up on the long term, a lot of fiberglass delaminates over time in direct sunlight.

I have never installed fiberglass, I only hear about them, i typically install vinyl or wood clad.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Vinyls final

Trade: siding, window, doors, trim

I personally have not used the fiberglass windows yet. However, My last Employer before I got out on my own used wood frames with fiberglass wrapped finish and they seem to be a real nice window. They were quite expensive. $900 each but they are supposed to hold up for 50 years minimum or so I have heard. I personally install vinyl and I am not a particular fan of ANY vinyl window I have ever come accross with the exception of the sheoco window from National Energy Systems but they are an all in one company from manufacture to install.
I am from CNY btw
Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,364

im looking at 2 jobs from the 90s with rotten wood frame marvins that the company is NOT standing behind
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
im looking at 2 jobs from the 90s with rotten wood frame marvins that the company is NOT standing behind
The 90's musta been a bad year for wood windows because we've worked on and are still looking at replacements from that era, does'nt matter brand, Anderson, Pella, Marvin, we're taking them out due to condensation rot, severe UV fade/dry rot, leaky seals, worn out hardware...90's were'nt good for window companies i guess LOL!!

Yrs ago we installed some Owens Corning fiberglass windows, i had to laugh my azz off when the place we were installing for had us load'em up, fricken held to together with L brackets on the jambs That was my first and last job installing those POS windows. Now a few years ago we installed a house full of Pella Impervia's and i personally thought the rubber gasket system was a joke for the exterior seal against the outside stops, that was the first and last time i sold them, i had to go back on latches not working properly/pulling out of the sashes, and pella's fix was a larger screw because they had a screw up in the factory, they went out due to HO calling about some seal coming off the window, i never got a call from the HO about it, but her sone told me about it...that was just 2 problems too many for my tastes.

we've isntalled thousands upon thousands of vinyl replacement windows over the past 20 years and many of the people i know personally still have them and they're still working just fine. I have a problem with the vinyl and aluminum clad since overtime they ALL develope cracks at the joints which allow water penetration which then rots the window from the outside in.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post

What is Marvin saying? Why aren't they covering it?