Vinyl Vs Fiberglass Vs Wood

Old 05-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Siding Gutters Windows
Rewards Points: 250

Vinyl Vs Fiberglass Vs Wood

Is there such a thing as being in the middle? Either go vinyl or go wood. Why do people even consider fiberglass windows? I've never had a fiberglass window installed and am still currently learning about them.

I just know about Marvin's Ultrex (wood & nonwood), Pella's impervia, and Anderson 100s. Which of the 3 brands carry "good" fiberglass product?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,602

Re: Vinyl Vs Fiberglass Vs Wood

I think one of the plus sides to fiberglass windows is they can be injected with foam insulation because they are extruded. This ups the r value in the windows.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,688

One of the other things about fiberglass windows is that there is more color selection .Also with dark colored ones you don't have the problems with heat like they did with dark vinyl ones.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

fibreglass are way better than vinyl for a million reasons
Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
One of the other things about fiberglass windows is that there is more color selection .Also with dark colored ones you don't have the problems with heat like they did with dark vinyl ones.
Exactly. Plus from a sales point of view just the fact that they are different from what everyone else is offering probably helps alot.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Gonna die a glass guy

Trade: Skylights and Glazing

Fiberglass.. No Rotting, No Warping, structurally superior to both Vinyl and Wood.

As Previously said color and stability with dark color heat, add moisture or at least humidity to that.

One caution I think would be mechanically fastened corners. At least making sure that the manufacturer has a corner sealing method and material that will hold water until it evaporates or makes it to the weep system.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccappaul For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build

the only thing good about vinyl is the price
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #8

Trade: Windows and Doors
Rewards Points: 25

Fiberglass windows -- as close as they come to maintenance-free. The above posts offer fair explanation -- more color choices, strength, etc. ...

Last edited by ReVisionsWindow; 09-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
I think one of the plus sides to fiberglass windows is they can be injected with foam insulation because they are extruded. This ups the r value in the windows.
WRONG on so many levels. fiberglass is pultruded. vinyl is extruded and injected with foam. marvin infiniti is fiberglass and they offer no foam. good window though. serious windows offer fiberglass by inline with foam.
where do you guys get your info !!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 508
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Fiberglass windows are 800% stronger (modulus), more stable and environmentally friendly. They don't expand and contract like vinly which is why a mechanically fastened corner ISN'T an issue. They won't separate provided that have a sealed corner key. Vinyl windows are welded out of neccesity and the welds look like ....

FG are paintable, don't warp pit or chip and with proper coatings will retain color longer than vinly. Because FG is made from glass it works in concert with IGU's and seal failures are virtually non existent. Unlike vinyl which moves more than a welfare mom with her 26 children, caiusing seal failures up the wazoo

Inline and Pella gel coat thier products. This is an inferior coloration process as anyone with a boat will tell you. The color fades quickly. Marvin uses a propriatary process by which the color is layered in during the pultrusion process. Similar to a cap stock only it's cohesively bonded to the fiberglass. Meaning it becomes one not painted on, so to speak.

The Infinity window is the best looking, thinest profile window I have ever seen. My installers love them and we have virtually NO service on them. To say they're vastly superiorto vinyl is an understatement
Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

Trade: General Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Guess no one out there uses ViWinco vinyl replacements? I have been using them for two years and they are probably the best window I have ever installed in the vinyl line. Lifetime warranty that puts Pella to shame. Downside is they don't offer a wood line interior choice.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesidingplus View Post
Guess no one out there uses ViWinco vinyl replacements? I have been using them for two years and they are probably the best window I have ever installed in the vinyl line. Lifetime warranty that puts Pella to shame. Downside is they don't offer a wood line interior choice.
When I (rarely) do window replacements, and vinyl is the choice, I almost exclusively use ViWinco.

But that isn't what the thread was about.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Lots of salesmanship goin' on in this thread............ Each material has pros and cons without a doubt. Vinyl= best for price and performance. FG= pros of wood without the rot. Wood= structurally solid and pretty. If you think that one is vastly superior to another then you've read one too many brochures.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Gonna die a glass guy

Trade: Skylights and Glazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Lots of salesmanship goin' on in this thread............ Each material has pros and cons without a doubt. Vinyl= best for price and performance. FG= pros of wood without the rot. Wood= structurally solid and pretty. If you think that one is vastly superior to another then you've read one too many brochures.

So you're sitting the fence on this one ?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccappaul View Post
So you're sitting the fence on this one ?
He has to. he sells wood and vinyl
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy110 For This Useful Post:
Winchester (05-12-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Pro

Fiberglass as a window material is vastly superior to vinyl. Vinyl windows do have better performance numbers, at least initially so they're a less expensive option...Unless you speaking of Serious windows which have ridiculous numbers but at a ridiculous cost
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
windows & siding

HA! Just tryin' to be honest... I sell all three (as most window guys do), and they each have their place. That's all I'm sayin... Vinyl for volume (for the reasons mentioned), wood for the more affluent types who demand it or may be required by an HOA, and fg for those who want something different. The one thing is, I let everyone know what each material has to offer and let them make the choice. Personally, i have vinyl in my own home, but at the same time, I dont fault those who would choose fg or wood based on their own wants/needs... I'm an equal opportunity window seller!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
HA! Just tryin' to be honest... I sell all three (as most window guys do), and they each have their place. That's all I'm sayin... Vinyl for volume (for the reasons mentioned), wood for the more affluent types who demand it or may be required by an HOA, and fg for those who want something different. The one thing is, I let everyone know what each material has to offer and let them make the choice. Personally, i have vinyl in my own home, but at the same time, I dont fault those who would choose fg or wood based on their own wants/needs... I'm an equal opportunity window seller!
What FG do you sell?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
windows & siding

buddy & fg = mike holmes & spray foam..... Seriously though, I like the products, but lets not get carried away here.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
windows & siding

I've sold Weathershield, Integrity, and Milgard. I've also been very close (not that I'd like to admit it), to a couple Impervia installs.