Suresill Door Pan

Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Trade: painting and remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Suresill Door Pan

Anyone ever use the suresill sill pan when installing replacement doors? I'm bidding a job right now where they experience some water infiltration under the front door that went unnoticed for quite some time. When their dishwasher let go and they pulled the floating floor throughout the kitchen and living room, they discovered a good deal of water damage and rot. I have never used a product like the suresill and I've never had a problem, but it looks like a quality unit and I'd like to give it a try. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Suresill Door Pan

I use pre made pans if they come with the door, otherwise I make my own out of lead.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,658

Better hope there is room in your RO to accomadate the size of that SureSill.
On a side note: The guy peddling SureSill in their video may want to be selling fountain of youth elixir since he claims to have been doing construction "since The Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show". He looks quite a few years younger than me and I was 5 when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Trade: painting and remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Better hope there is room in your RO to accomadate the size of that SureSill.
That's my biggest concern. I'm not sure exactly how much it's going to add to the bottom of the opening as I've not been able to get my hands on one. We'll see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to mpminter For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-15-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

I have used the sure sill pans. I install for a big box and we order them on custom doors or when there are water probs. The only thing I don't like is the up bend on the inside shows. So it's pretty hard to add a quarterround or cove mold against threshold. I think it adds about 1/8".
Lead pan? I thought that was illegal?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpminter View Post
That's my biggest concern. I'm not sure exactly how much it's going to add to the bottom of the opening as I've not been able to get my hands on one. We'll see what happens.
You can usually get around the height issue by making your pans out of a peel & stick material like Grace Vycor or similar. Just be sure to turn up a leg along the back for a back dam.

Any sill pan is better than no sill pan IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to GRB For This Useful Post:
Cole82 (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,408

iv'e found full depth metal pans to be a potential condensation issue
GRB (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
iv'e found full depth metal pans to be a potential condensation issue

Never thought of that before- I usually site bend a metal sill pans and put vycor down prior to the pan- may have to change up my practices.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

Trade: Windows/Doors/Siding

I have wondered about the condensation with full depth metal pan as well. What if instead of a full depth you two piece the pan with aluminum and use the flashing tape to break conduction? Kind of depends on the detail and the extent of the existing water issue.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,408

you can do that but why not just use tape?or tape all the way to the back and then a small L lapping over the tape then taped to the tape

i see some window pan details that call for a vinyl L like corner bead

and don't think that just because a door may be well under an overhang that flashing the sill is not necessary

even tho it may be thermally broken i have seen sweating under the aluminum thresholds

Last edited by Tom Struble; 02-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #11

Trade: Windows/Doors/Siding

I usually use dupont flex wrap but have sometimes tried to use like you mentioned a small L bend for a dam and then set the patio door tight to that to give a clean finish on the interior where the door meets the floor material
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Windows and doors, general contracting

Heres what we do. After removing the door we apply a tar tape to the sill and up 6inches on each leg, making sure atleast one inch folds over onto the exterior face. We then lay beads of caulking and lay a field bent pan that extends out from under the door to what evers on your exterior. Make sure you have proper slope for run off. We then install more caulk and lay the door threshold into it. After installing we use foam insulation spray around the door, Pella tar tape around the door frame then the exterior trim and interior trim. Dont see many leaks from this method
http://www.kc-pella.com/
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Trade: Windows and Doors

We use a custom pan that addresses most issues found in door installs. Back dams can be made to accommodate your specific DP rating and are still easily covered by trim. We were installing doors in a sub- division where the framing wasn't always perfect, these pans were made without a front lip so the door could be adjusted within twisted framing. An added plus, they are one piece which eliminates the dependency on sealant to make the pan water tight.