"spring String" Broke - Amer. Craftsman

Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

"spring String" Broke - Amer. Craftsman

I just did a 24-window replacement on a house - homeowner got a 'deal' from home depot on American Craftsman windows (2110 series)

no real complaints, BUT on one of the windows...

one of the strings that 'springs' the window up when opening it broke! The string on the other side of the window is fine, but of course the h/o wants me to fix it.

anyone messed with this? looks like a first class pain in the.....tail

i've gotta go back to replace 3 broken sashes anyway (they'll be in in a week or so), so it's not a 'special' trip

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,322

Re: "spring String" Broke - Amer. Craftsman

I hope your charging for it since you did not supply the windows. We all warned you against using such Sh#ty windows. BTW when you use a reputable window/supplier, they have field techs that fix these sorta things at no charge to you. Only three broken sashes

Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Pro

Patdick - thanks bro - valuable info, as always

I guess this ain't such a common thing - American Craftsman has reps, too - H/D will send one out

I had hoped some other window folk had run into this before and could give me a quick fix tip - the sashes take 30-45 seconds each to replace - hoping to fix string at same time
Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHMConstruction View Post
Patdick - thanks bro - valuable info, as always

I guess this ain't such a common thing - American Craftsman has reps, too - H/D will send one out

I had hoped some other window folk had run into this before and could give me a quick fix tip - the sashes take 30-45 seconds each to replace - hoping to fix string at same time
If an American Crapsman rep comes to your job site let me know, it will be a first. I did a 6 of their triple patio doors years ago and the rep would not visit the job site. He offered free doors, frames, panels.....whatever I wanted but no jobsite visit.

Lock your cam, unhook the clip that holds the sash to the frame, move the cam toward the top release slot and you are done. Buy better windows next time.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Pro

dougchips

did you have trouble with the patio doors? I heard they were a nightmare but i found it to be easier than others i've messed with - i guess time is the real test

i need to find a good window/door dealer - any suggestions?

thx
MHM
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,252

I usually use either Traco replacement windows or Anderson windows. As for doors I usually use Anderson and Pella for patio and sliders. And usually Thermatru or the occasional......gulp...feather river brand if the HO can't afford Thermatru.

Dave
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
Lock your cam, unhook the clip that holds the sash to the frame, move the cam toward the top release slot and you are done. Buy better windows next time.

not sure how this will fix the broken string - are you just talking about removing the sash?

have not heard the term "cam" or "top release slot" - but then again I make up my terms as I go

can anyone help here?