Soffit And Fascia Pricing

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
gutrman
 
gutrman's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutters, Gutter Protection & Under Deck Systems
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 75

Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Hi guys... First time poster, long time noser.

I own a gutter contracting business with my Father. I have been working with him for 12 years and he has been in the business for over 25 years. After letting me join him with the headaches last year we have been looking to expand our business.

We are starting to get into the installation of soffit and fascia. We have done a few jobs and more or less just charged for time and materials. Not enough of course but we wanted to get the experience for us and the employees. Now that we are getting more calls to do this type of work I would like to have a better way to quote a job. At this time we charge per linear foot for the gutter depending on structure and height. Ex: House 8' high to the eaves = 2.50/ft. , House 9' high to the eaves = 2.60/ft... so on. Would I be able to charge in the same manner for soffit and fascia, and in the price is f-channel and J-channel included? I am sure I will have more questions as will you but it is a start.

I have been reading for some time now and I really enjoy the great advice w/ humor that you guys give. I have a feeling that Grumpy will have good advice for me on this subject.

Oh by the way, I would like to think that I have some expertise regarding gutters/spouting, so if you have any questions I would love to help.

And yes my mind is always in the gutter... just ask my wife.

gutrman
gutrman is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 11-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Custom Builder
 
Glasshousebltr's Avatar
 
Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South Central Illinois
Posts: 4,406
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Welcome Gut.

2.60 is a bit low for retail around here, we sub out at a little over 2.

Soffits? you should be able to pin that to a LF rate easily, however, better watch out, sub wood can get in your pocket.

Just a little trick, if you run across an eve that's pretty straight, but rides up and down a little, like so many do, try F on the fascia as well, but don't forget to price for it. Pop a line on the fascia and it really helps true it out.

Bob

__________________
Bob
Glasshousebltr is offline  
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Pro
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing and Gutter Specialist
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,573
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


I will tell ya that the method for estimating anything to to determine yoru costs such as materials, equipment rental etc... then figure out your labor (how long will this take me to do and what am I worth?). lastly add in your overhead such as vehicles, phones, etc...

Add the two up and then add 30% for profit.

After you have done it a few times you can come up with a per foot price. I pay my subs about $3 a foot just to cap fascia and another $2 for 1' soffit. This includes all materials. Every job is a little bit different even with subs, but these are minimums.
Grumpy is offline  
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Pro
 
IHI's Avatar
 
Trade: General construction and remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waterloo, IA.
Posts: 2,400
Rewards Points: 1,022

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


I dont know your area, but "generally" a starting price for standard soffit fascia install if you are the one doing it starts about $7/ft and this will cover typical 12-16" vinyl soffit. If bidding aluminum I go upto $10-12/ft cuz material is more and aluminum is ALOT more time consuming to install than vinyl...I know the aluminum/steel is alot better long term or spanning big widths with no droop, but I hate all things metal when it comes to siding related tasks!!
IHI is offline  
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
gutrman
 
gutrman's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutters, Gutter Protection & Under Deck Systems
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


I dont know your area, but "generally" a starting price for standard soffit fascia install if you are the one doing it starts about $7/ft and this will cover typical 12-16" vinyl soffit.


Does the $7/ft cover the fascia also?

BTW, thanks for all your help guys.
gutrman is offline  
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #6
Pro
 
IHI's Avatar
 
Trade: General construction and remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waterloo, IA.
Posts: 2,400
Rewards Points: 1,022

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


The $7 is for all material and labor for a complete soffit/fascia job since typically, if not always when installing vinyl/aluminum/steel soffit you have to cover the fascia as well.
IHI is offline  
Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Pro
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing and Gutter Specialist
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,573
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI
I dont know your area, but "generally" a starting price for standard soffit fascia install if you are the one doing it starts about $7/ft and this will cover typical 12-16" vinyl soffit.
That is about what we would charge on an average sized job. Obviously if it is smaller, tall, or has many miters we will charge more.

Don't forget to add if there is a freize board.

It's funny because when someone tells me they want siding I assume they mean soffit and fascia as well. When someone tells my salesman they want siding he assumes they only want siding. The same thing is true about fascia or soffit. I had to explain to him that if someone tells you they want soffit they also mean fascia and freizeboard autmoatically it is highly unlikley they will want just soffit, and highly unlikley it will look good if we install just soffit. That was just me venting
Grumpy is offline  
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
Pro
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing and Gutter Specialist
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,573
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI
when installing vinyl/aluminum/steel soffit you have to cover the fascia as well.
We've actually done this once. All we did was install soffit channel at the wall and fascia. It looked weird but worked well. To this day I do not know why the customer wanted soffit only, but read my above post venting about my salesman... It happens.
Grumpy is offline  
Old 11-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Pro
 
IHI's Avatar
 
Trade: General construction and remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waterloo, IA.
Posts: 2,400
Rewards Points: 1,022

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
We've actually done this once. All we did was install soffit channel at the wall and fascia. It looked weird but worked well. To this day I do not know why the customer wanted soffit only, but read my above post venting about my salesman... It happens.
LOL, I bet that was a treat having to bend every piece into place. I think with that situation it might come out in the wash when comparing total material price since you'd need twice as much J or F channel as opposed to running how many feet with just a standard roll of coil with a little less labor involved too.

Some folks do things differently, that's for sure. Got a few stories of my own on that one
IHI is offline  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Something new's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Never posted before was just hopin to pick someones brain. A friend of mine wants to sell me all the tools to do aluminum soffit and fascia. I have installed soffits and fascia on houses I have built for the last 12 years but always just charged by the hour. I have been looking for something new to get into I am just trying to figure out profitability for this type of work. I am trying to find out what guys are charging for 16"-20" soffit and fascia, also how about large porch coverings. Any input would be great
Something new is offline  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Eater of sins.
 
ScipioAfricanus's Avatar
 
Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 2,441
Rewards Points: 1,758

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Start a new thread on this instead of using an old one.

You will get lots of responses to your query.

Just trying to help?

Andy.
ScipioAfricanus is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Pro
 
galla35's Avatar
 
Trade: Framer
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


I did some storm damage almuminum fascia and i charged 9.50 per lf including the material. I perfer to do it from coil stock though it gives it alot nicer look imo
galla35 is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Registered User
 
vand56's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


I just finished a house but I found it is cheaper to bend my own Fascia because alot of overhangs are not the same size,( I.E) this house had 7",
4 1/2",5" and around the gutters I left the old fascia on and bent 3" x 12' Plus if you buy fascia it is 10'. I bend a 1/2" tight and then a 1" and however high I need it. I am not wasting anything If I need a 7" piece I have to cut it down from 8" and around here 6" is $10.00 ea. I can buy a roll of 24" x 50' for $70.00
vand56 is offline  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Pro
 
jumbo's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 124
Rewards Points: 99

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Quote:
Originally Posted by vand56 View Post
I just finished a house but I found it is cheaper to bend my own Fascia because alot of overhangs are not the same size,( I.E) this house had 7",
4 1/2",5" and around the gutters I left the old fascia on and bent 3" x 12' Plus if you buy fascia it is 10'. I bend a 1/2" tight and then a 1" and however high I need it. I am not wasting anything If I need a 7" piece I have to cut it down from 8" and around here 6" is $10.00 ea. I can buy a roll of 24" x 50' for $70.00
Steel & aluminum fascia also come in 12' lengths. Coil fascia is too thin, I prefer factory bought.
__________________
It's better to die on your feet than to be living on your knees.
jumbo is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jumbo For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-03-2009), WarnerConstInc. (09-04-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Registered User
 
vand56's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Jumbo I feel differently, I bend mine 1/2' roll over, I pinch the 1/2" in the brake after the first bend then I bend a 1" or sometimes a little wider depending on the application, I have had to bend 1 1/2" just to make it cover. I do mostly older houses and no two things are the same.
I do agree that if I am only doing a small job I buy it, for a whole house I make it and then I roll a pattern into the face, I have a tool for making brickmold casings and fascia, plus if the customer ever needs something agian they have to contact me because of the pattern I used.I don't do that many Soffit jobs but I do have more of a use for Coil stock. The job I just finished was for a Guy two doors up from me and it was one of the worst jobs because it never fails they don''t even appreciate when you give them a break on pricing, it started out that I did 32' front gable done and Paid. Then they asked if I would do two back gables (house has been added onto one roof rasied) I charged them $5.75 a foot for the front including Materials and Labor, I had 33' on one gable and 30' on another then they decided to do the rest of the house it took Me a week to get all done except for one gable because I had to tie a ladder to a second story gutter and straddle a aluminum walk plank from the roof to the ladder, there was 8' from the lower roof to the upper overhang which the lower roof was a 10"-12" picth even if I installed roof jacks, I still would not have reached it, so a Friend of mine help me set it up and I tied off to the walk plank with a safety strap(body harness if you will or fall arrestor) for roofing. but the person that has the house kept bugging me when I was going to get it done and ladders out of the yard. so it only took about an hour to do now three days later and still no pay I installed 154 1/2' of soffit and fascia.I see alot of guys are charging anywhere from $7-$12 a foot I only chraged $5/foot.
vand56 is offline  
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
Pro
 
jumbo's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 124
Rewards Points: 99

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Quote:
Originally Posted by vand56 View Post
Jumbo I feel differently, I bend mine 1/2' roll over, I pinch the 1/2" in the brake after the first bend then I bend a 1" or sometimes a little wider depending on the application, I have had to bend 1 1/2" just to make it cover. I do mostly older houses and no two things are the same.
I do agree that if I am only doing a small job I buy it, for a whole house I make it and then I roll a pattern into the face, I have a tool for making brickmold casings and fascia, plus if the customer ever needs something agian they have to contact me because of the pattern I used.I don't do that many Soffit jobs but I do have more of a use for Coil stock. The job I just finished was for a Guy two doors up from me and it was one of the worst jobs because it never fails they don''t even appreciate when you give them a break on pricing, it started out that I did 32' front gable done and Paid. Then they asked if I would do two back gables (house has been added onto one roof rasied) I charged them $5.75 a foot for the front including Materials and Labor, I had 33' on one gable and 30' on another then they decided to do the rest of the house it took Me a week to get all done except for one gable because I had to tie a ladder to a second story gutter and straddle a aluminum walk plank from the roof to the ladder, there was 8' from the lower roof to the upper overhang which the lower roof was a 10"-12" picth even if I installed roof jacks, I still would not have reached it, so a Friend of mine help me set it up and I tied off to the walk plank with a safety strap(body harness if you will or fall arrestor) for roofing. but the person that has the house kept bugging me when I was going to get it done and ladders out of the yard. so it only took about an hour to do now three days later and still no pay I installed 154 1/2' of soffit and fascia.I see alot of guys are charging anywhere from $7-$12 a foot I only chraged $5/foot.
I didn't make it up. It's a fact. Coil fascia is thinner than box fascia. But I will agree that when coves or other step fascias are to be covered, not much choice but to bend it yourself. I myself haven't bid soffit & fascia by the foot for the last 15 years. I got tired of the fluctuation in profit.
__________________
It's better to die on your feet than to be living on your knees.
jumbo is offline  
Old 09-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
Pro
 
outlaw's Avatar
 
Trade: roofing,siding,gutters,windows
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 291
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


For you guys that still haven't gotten th epricing thing down yet.......


Materials
+
Labor
+
Overhead
+
Profit
=
Tree fiddy a foot
__________________
www.clarkroofingandsiding.com
outlaw is offline  
Old 09-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Registered User
 
vand56's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Soffit And Fascia Pricing


Well like I said it was for a neighbor and did not have alot going on just between jobs.

vand56 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum soffit estimate? K_Tile Windows, Siding and Doors 24 07-25-2008 11:56 AM
soffit and fascia corners Bukemdano Windows, Siding and Doors 11 06-09-2008 03:55 PM
Soffit fascia help stagger19 Windows, Siding and Doors 8 03-20-2006 01:33 PM
Need Help With Hardy Soffit Pricing abelc Windows, Siding and Doors 1 02-20-2006 12:37 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?