Smartside Questions

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

Smartside Questions

I have only done 3 Smartside lap siding jobs and have a couple questions for those with more experience.
My first two times were for other contractors (small jobs) and we installed to LP's instructions and were gone before siding was caulked or painted. We are now almost 1/3 of the way through a whole house install for my company and I'm wondering what will happen in these locations in the next few months.

1. Siding meets trim(corners, windows, etc.) : We have been caulking the 3/16" gap as we install around the house. Will this caulk be squeezed out as the siding is supposed to expand?

2. Walls with short boards at the end: Row of siding ends with a 3' piece after a 16' piece. Does the 16' piece expand to fill most of the 3/16" gap between them or should this gap be made smaller?

3. Short pieces: How short of a piece doesn't require the gapping and can be sprung into place? Currently we are not gapping anything under about 5'.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 746

Re: Smartside Questions

We've been using SS for the last few years. Always gap the 3/16" or 1/4" at butt joints, especially if the siding is very dry. We've found that sometimes it is obvious it's been exposed at the lumber yard and then it doesn't expand as much.

We gap every piece but if we are under 5', we just go 1/8" on each end. Never go tight on anything.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Windwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuhler View Post
We've been using SS for the last few years. Always gap the 3/16" or 1/4" at butt joints, especially if the siding is very dry. We've found that sometimes it is obvious it's been exposed at the lumber yard and then it doesn't expand as much.

We gap every piece but if we are under 5', we just go 1/8" on each end. Never go tight on anything.
Thanks Tim. We had only done a few sections that were "tight" and they were under 30". We are now gapping everything. Any idea on how long before expansion takes place? I'm sure it depends on moisture but is it days, weeks, months?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 878

The guys around here that install the stuff( I don't) are using joint covers for butt joints and clauk the rest while siding or right after it is sided.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Windwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
The guys around here that install the stuff( I don't) are using joint covers for butt joints and clauk the rest while siding or right after it is sided.
Thanks Randy. I had ordered a roll of color matched coil stock for drip caps and we made up some splines for the joints in the field and have been caulking other joints as we go.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwash View Post
Thanks Randy. I had ordered a roll of color matched coil stock for drip caps and we made up some splines for the joints in the field and have been caulking other joints as we go.
Again here they buy the color matched premade ones . Have not even seen anyone do drip caps with Smartside or Hardi here, just caulk it all.
Some guys use base and cap covers , others trim board covers and caulk.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i'm a big believer in well flashed pocketed trims
Old 10-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
Good thing it is not wetter here or guys would have all kinds of rot they way flash or should I say don't flash here.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Windwash

Quote:
Do you have a favorite(s)? I've looked at the Stealth (I think thats the name) corners but am concerned that they may be too brittle when its cold here, especially around doors or areas with a lot of traffic. Are you priming cut ends before installing in the pocket?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

yes,treat the ends,i typically fab may own pocket or use a pack out and overlay with 1x trim

the head needs a metal pocket,or at that point you can close the top off with a drip
Attached Thumbnails
Smartside questions-0807031216.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
Windwash

Quote:
yes,treat the ends,i typically fab may own pocket or use a pack out and overlay with 1x trim

the head needs a metal pocket,or at that point you can close the top off with a drip
Thanks. I like the pack out and overlay idea. No caulk and the cuts don't have to be perfectly 3/16" short. I'm only so-so with my brake so bending up a bunch of stuff would probably be too time consuming for me.

Advertisement