Replacement Windows For Aluminum Windows

Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,072

Replacement Windows For Aluminum Windows

I checked out a 25yr old townhouse which had all aluminum windows. what is a cost effective solution to replacing these without the hassle of peeling off the vinyl siding and installing new construction windows.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Quality before quantity

Trade: exterior remodelling
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Replacement Windows For Aluminum Windows

Run a reciprocating saw along the J channel to cut off the nailer on the aluminum windows.
Done it/don't like it,but I've done it.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

Measure the opening for a flush fin window. Remove the glass and use your extractor to remove the frame. Remove the j chanel. Install a flush fin vinyl framed window .

OR measure the outside aluminum frame and cut the opening out for a full size vinyl window. Do not remove the j chanel.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 134

I find that the easy way is the right way by removing the siding. Especially if if it's vinyl siding.

Any other way becomes to much of a hassle and in most cases is wrong.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidingpro View Post
I find that the easy way is the right way by removing the siding. Especially if if it's vinyl siding.

Any other way becomes to much of a hassle and in most cases is wrong.
If you knew how to remove and replace an aluminum window properly you wouldn't think your above thought. It takes us 15 - 20 minutes to remove and replace most any aluminum window in any house. There are a few methods to do this. The use of an extractor or the use of a saw are the way most companies do this. Get a LBM catalog and buy an extractor.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoemaker View Post
Run a reciprocating saw along the J channel to cut off the nailer on the aluminum windows.
Done it/don't like it,but I've done it.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS Get a flush fin window or remove the siding.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Windows Plus

Trade: Replacement of windows,siding and doors
Rewards Points: 150

I agree. dom't want any service calls
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenrty, remodeling , residential

figure in the labor to your cost of installing the windows , worth the results, take siding down , how many windows ? i would use a replacement style ,not new construction and insulate and cap exterior ,
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by odellconstruct View Post
figure in the labor to your cost of installing the windows , worth the results, take siding down , how many windows ? i would use a replacement style ,not new construction and insulate and cap exterior ,
I flush fin would not require wrapping It just back caulks to the aluminum frame. I think more wholesalers need to start pushing AAMA certification to their contractors. we so many installs where we are just left saying "why on earth would someone do it like this?"
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Pro

i would remove all aluminum framing and make window to fit framing if it was my job , im sure the aluminum at a scap yard would help offset the cost , to save money as he stated then the other way .but removing all aluminum def preferred. do it the right way first ! you wont have a problem
Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
i would remove all aluminum framing and make window to fit framing if it was my job , im sure the aluminum at a scap yard would help offset the cost , to save money as he stated then the other way .but removing all aluminum def preferred. do it the right way first ! you wont have a problem
LOL flush fin IS the right way, its AAMA approved, go out to California, thats gennerally the ONLY type of replacement window you will find as almost everyone has aluminum windows set in stucco where you cant just remove the siding
Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,072

I've never used flush fin replacement windows but did a little reading up on them. how have you trimmed out the inside of the flushfin window?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy sider View Post
If you knew how to remove and replace an aluminum window properly you wouldn't think your above thought. It takes us 15 - 20 minutes to remove and replace most any aluminum window in any house. There are a few methods to do this. The use of an extractor or the use of a saw are the way most companies do this. Get a LBM catalog and buy an extractor.
Flush fin windows are a joke. I wouldn't want them on my house so why would I put them on a customer's?

Trust me I've been there. Me and another guy replacing 20 windows in a day. It's not my cup of tea. I only do high end window replacement now.

Last edited by thesidingpro; 04-21-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
LOL flush fin IS the right way, its AAMA approved, go out to California, thats gennerally the ONLY type of replacement window you will find as almost everyone has aluminum windows set in stucco where you cant just remove the siding
his case he has siding !if he has siding then he has a wood frame , not a hard job,besides a 25 yr old town house prob built cheap anyway and any window is a improvement . dont really care about what california has i dont do work there if i did then i would do it the correct way ! what ever code suggest
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
his case he has siding !if he has siding then he has a wood frame
how does having siding constitute having a wood frame?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
Pro

Replacing Aluminum Windows

Learn the different options when replacing aluminum windows with vinyl windows.
When discussing the proper frame style for replacing the wood sash windows, I explained the difference between new construction frames versus replacement frames. When replacing aluminum windows, there is another option we have to consider regarding frame style. It's called a "retrofit" frame. Let's go over each frame type. First, we have the new construction frame with the nailing fin. If you choose to go this route, you have to remove the exterior around each window opening, pull out the nails holding the aluminum window to the studs, nail in the new vinyl window, apply flashing, caulk, and re-install the exterior around each window.(I get tired just talking about it!)In addition to being a whole lot of labor, you can run into major problems trying to install the exterior product around each window opening. If your home has stucco, you have to try and match the rest of the stucco. It can be done, but not by you. Even most professional stucco guys can't get a perfect match. What if you have wood siding? Well, you can cut away 2" of the siding around each window to get to the nail fin, then you can apply 1 X 2 or 1 X 3 trim around each window. Certainly not as much work as the stucco home, but probably more work than the average homeowner cares to tackle. What if each window is surrounded by brick? Let's not even go there! You would have to remove the bricks, then re-install them all when finished.

Trust me, you don't want to replace your old aluminum windows with new construction vinyl windows. You want to use either the replacement frame like the one used to replace the wood sash windows, or something called a retrofit frame , that is popular in the west where stucco is a common exterior. Since the procedure for measuring is the same regardless of the frame style chosen, this article will discuss the proper measuring procedure, and future articles will explain the difference in the installation process for replacement versus retrofit.

If you look at the portion of the aluminum frame that goes around the window opening into your surrounding walls, you will see three separate "legs" that form two pockets. The outside leg and the center leg form the first pocket. Your screen and stationary panel will be in this pocket. The center leg and inside leg form the second pocket, and your sliding panel is in that pocket. Find the "leg" that is the widest on all four sides. When measuring the width, run your tape measure from the widest leg on the left to the widest leg on the right. This should be the narrowest measurement. Then, subtract 3/8" from that measurement. This is the width of the replacement window. Measure the height the same way. When measuring the height, measure as close to the center of the window as possible. This is especially important on windows wider than six feet, because the top wood header has a tendency to sag over time, making the center of the opening the narrowest. You don't need to deduct 3/8" from the height like you did on the width. 1/4" is fine. These are the dimensions you use when ordering your vinyl window. If you have any picture windows(windows without a vent panel), there will only be two legs and one pocket. You still measure the same way.

Next week, I will discuss whether your home is a candidate for retrofit frames or replacement frames. John Rocco has been installing replacement windows since 1978. To learn more, visit How To Install Windows

By John Rocco
Published: 12/17/2006
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
how does having siding constitute having a wood frame?
regardless wood or metal studs you can screw it ! if its brick then make a frame

a 25 yr old town house i would bet there is wood framing !

Last edited by odellconstruct; 04-21-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Replacing Aluminum Windows

Learn the different options when replacing aluminum windows with vinyl windows.
When discussing the proper frame style for replacing the wood sash windows, I explained the difference between new construction frames versus replacement frames. When replacing aluminum windows, there is another option we have to consider regarding frame style. It's called a "retrofit" frame. Let's go over each frame type. First, we have the new construction frame with the nailing fin. If you choose to go this route, you have to remove the exterior around each window opening, pull out the nails holding the aluminum window to the studs, nail in the new vinyl window, apply flashing, caulk, and re-install the exterior around each window.(I get tired just talking about it!)In addition to being a whole lot of labor, you can run into major problems trying to install the exterior product around each window opening. If your home has stucco, you have to try and match the rest of the stucco. It can be done, but not by you. Even most professional stucco guys can't get a perfect match. What if you have wood siding? Well, you can cut away 2" of the siding around each window to get to the nail fin, then you can apply 1 X 2 or 1 X 3 trim around each window. Certainly not as much work as the stucco home, but probably more work than the average homeowner cares to tackle. What if each window is surrounded by brick? Let's not even go there! You would have to remove the bricks, then re-install them all when finished.

Trust me, you don't want to replace your old aluminum windows with new construction vinyl windows. You want to use either the replacement frame like the one used to replace the wood sash windows, or something called a retrofit frame , that is popular in the west where stucco is a common exterior. Since the procedure for measuring is the same regardless of the frame style chosen, this article will discuss the proper measuring procedure, and future articles will explain the difference in the installation process for replacement versus retrofit.

If you look at the portion of the aluminum frame that goes around the window opening into your surrounding walls, you will see three separate "legs" that form two pockets. The outside leg and the center leg form the first pocket. Your screen and stationary panel will be in this pocket. The center leg and inside leg form the second pocket, and your sliding panel is in that pocket. Find the "leg" that is the widest on all four sides. When measuring the width, run your tape measure from the widest leg on the left to the widest leg on the right. This should be the narrowest measurement. Then, subtract 3/8" from that measurement. This is the width of the replacement window. Measure the height the same way. When measuring the height, measure as close to the center of the window as possible. This is especially important on windows wider than six feet, because the top wood header has a tendency to sag over time, making the center of the opening the narrowest. You don't need to deduct 3/8" from the height like you did on the width. 1/4" is fine. These are the dimensions you use when ordering your vinyl window. If you have any picture windows(windows without a vent panel), there will only be two legs and one pocket. You still measure the same way.

Next week, I will discuss whether your home is a candidate for retrofit frames or replacement frames. John Rocco has been installing replacement windows since 1978. To learn more, visit How To Install Windows

By John Rocco
Published: 12/17/2006
Im confused now, You told me that using a "flush fin" window would not be the proper way to replace an aluminum window, then you go and post an article by a well regarded expert, who i happen to know, AND who happens to be from California as I said, AND he recommends using a retrofit frame, which is the same as a flush fin..... Make up your mind buddy!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #19
Pro

this is more of what i was quoting , regardless i would remove frame and use replacement style window s as stated before

Last edited by odellconstruct; 04-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:

this is more of what i was quoting , regardless i would remove frame and use replacement style window s as stated before.
I have been saying over and over again to use a "flush fin window" which is the same as a "retrofit window" neither or which look the same, or install the same as a new construction window OR a replacement window

I am not a remodeler/carpenter, I sell and install hundreds of windows every year. a Flush fin window, which is the same as a retro fit window has a smooth vinyl fin flush with the outside face of the window, which covers over the old aluminum frame, making for a fast, easy, clean, water tight install.

25 year old vinyl siding and J channels are not something that you want to be removing and reinstalling.

Last edited by Patrick; 04-21-2008 at 11:36 PM.