Replacement Vinyl Windows

Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #1

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 75

Replacement Vinyl Windows

I'm sure this has been asked 10 times already..but.
I'm rehading some older homes.
The windows need to be replaced...but i have a very tight profit margin on these.
Pella has the thermastar stuff I can get a Lowes....are they any good?
I need "cheap" replacement windows that are not junk. They may be odd sizes too...so that may be a problem for Lowes.
Any recomendations for replacement windows....keep in mind these neeed to be cheap(price wise)..but at least a reasonable quality.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Replacement Vinyl Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project53 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked 10 times already..but.
I'm rehading some older homes.
The windows need to be replaced...but i have a very tight profit margin on these.
Pella has the thermastar stuff I can get a Lowes....are they any good?
I need "cheap" replacement windows that are not junk. They may be odd sizes too...so that may be a problem for Lowes.
Any recomendations for replacement windows....keep in mind these neeed to be cheap(price wise)..but at least a reasonable quality.

Did you sell the job without figuring your material cost?

Stay away from the Blowes ones, you can find better quality windows for a little more money.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,634

Do you want good cheap work too? HAHAHAHAHA tHE SAME OLD STORY. Price the job for something worthy and reliable or walk away if the competition is cutting your throat.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #4

No..I'm rehabing these houses with an investor....I need to replace the windows.....I need it "cheap" but not junk.....the more I spend the less I make deal. So thats why I ask is the Pella Themastar junk or not? if so what replacement window are usable?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Insert title

Quote:
No..I'm rehabing these houses with an investor....I need to replace the windows.....I need it "cheap" but not junk.....the more I spend the less I make deal. So thats why I ask is the Pella Themastar junk or not? if so what replacement window are usable?
What part of the country are you in?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #6

I'm in NJ.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Insert title

Quote:
I'm in NJ.
There are a few people on this site from NJ that might be able to help you out with a local source.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Sidin Contractor

Quote:
So thats why I ask is the Pella Themastar junk or not? if so what replacement window are usable?
Yes they are junk check the ratings. Look at Simonton they are only about $25 more expensive but are to top rated window in the industry.

http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings...ndow/index.asp
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #9

Trade: CARPENTER
Rewards Points: 25

I'm IN S.Jersey
Allinance(sp?)windows, is a good middle of the line ,replacement window.
About a$175.00 per window.made to order.Just tell them if you want to exact size your giveing them. Usally under 10 day turnaround.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sider' Brian View Post
Yes they are junk check the ratings. Look at Simonton they are only about $25 more expensive but are to top rated window in the industry.

http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings...ndow/index.asp
Brian, Simonton makes a good window no need for the POS Jd Powers link. You said "top rated window in the industry", JD Powers is scoring the company more than the product. The only fair place to compare "window ratings" is at www.nfrc.org.

http://cpd.nfrc.org/pubsearch/psLine...21&pagenum=152
Old 03-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Supply

double post sorry

Last edited by kylemfk; 04-03-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
I'm in NJ.
i have an economical vinyl replacement by Metal Industries. Not the best or the worst. Been to the factory impressive production and QA They have custom sizes and get them in a week. if you need help i can reach out to my regional rep to find you a dealer local to you.

here is the company website, mods if this shouldnt be here i apologize
http://www.mihomeproducts.com/brandInfo.asp#Xact

Last edited by kylemfk; 03-31-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #13

OK, thanks....not all these houses need windows...some have been replaced...this is a rehab project with an investor.....I'm trying to cover all my bases here. It just depends on what he's buying.... From what I looked at ..the windows can be odd sizes. Of course the more I spend...the less I get...so what else is new...LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
Pro

If your familiar with Lodi Nj I use a vinyl replacment company that been around since the days of my Grandfather. They quality levels. I only people I deal with for replacments. Call American Jewel Window sytems they are on industrial way, Lodi. Stay away from Metal industries they are pure junk.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom m View Post
If your familiar with Lodi Nj I use a vinyl replacment company that been around since the days of my Grandfather. They quality levels. I only people I deal with for replacments. Call American Jewel Window sytems they are on industrial way, Lodi. Stay away from Metal industries they are pure junk.

wow, I wouldnt say pure junk, why do you classify them as such?? You get a DP rating of around 50 on an average DH, a U-factor of around .30 I believe. Outstanding lead time, is the intercept the best spacer?...no but no better or worse than duraseal, is it the finest vinyl replacement around..no but it is a solid product and an easy install in my experience. Good warranty, that the company never balks on including glass breakage. On my end if I need the rep he is out to me next day.

American Jewel is around the same level of quality in my experience, I certainly wouldn't put one of these windows that much further above the other. Just curious why you feel that way???
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
Pro

Be honest with you there is a hundred vinyl replacment window company in this 5 mile radius. I dont shop and sample every company I stick with for their longevity and reliability. Its just an insert window I will push and Anderson or full unit if and upgrade is suitable. Im not a big fan of putting new plastic windows in 30 year old frames. Thats what I prefer to sell. Anyway just my thoughts to each his own.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Insert title

Quote:
Vinyl windows have only been around since the 60's.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #18
Pro

Whats your point Doug? This company did and still does storm windows, awnings and patio systems. I didnt know or care how long vinyl windows have been out.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,308

Try HD's American Craftsman. They are made by Silverline right outside of New Brunswick on rte. 1
Just stay with a welded frame instead of a screwed frame.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
Insert title

Quote:
Whats your point Doug? This company did and still does storm windows, awnings and patio systems. I didnt know or care how long vinyl windows have been out.

I don't know what to say, so I quoted you.