Question On Storm Windows?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #1

Trade: tile
Rewards Points: 25

Question On Storm Windows?

a guy has an old house and wants to make it more energy eficent but save money by putting in three track storm windows. i know no one uses storm windows anymore but thats what he wants? do they give you at least some energy effiecency?
i know they are only 60 bucks a piece and about 50 bucks a piece to install so he is saving plenty of money. i just don't think its very wise but don't want to argue unless he asks my opinion.

Last edited by Cole; 12-19-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Moved to the Windows, Siding and Doors!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question On Storm Windows?

Waste of money...total waste of money. If installed properly the weep holes let in cold air....if you caulk the weep holes the sill will rot. I've seen sill rot even without caulking. The $100-$200 per window can be better invested in new replacement windows.....unless the windows come from a home center.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Pro Deck Guy

Trade: Jim's free government helper
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
Waste of money...total waste of money. If installed properly the weep holes let in cold air....if you caulk the weep holes the sill will rot. I've seen sill rot even without caulking. The $100-$200 per window can be better invested in new replacement windows.....unless the windows come from a home center.

Yup. I think they give maybe a value of R-1. And they're ugly. And they cause problems with the sill.

2 votes for waste of money.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

I forgot they they add 4 more surfaces to clean.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,292

Where are you buying decent storms for $60 a piece? A decent storm runs about $100 or more real real tough job to price and be competitive, last one I did was 45 storm windows. old Victorian under NO circumstances did they want to replace the windows. The storms came with LOW-E glass too
Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,098

I got a ton of used storm windows,give them to ya fer $25/each.

They are just scrap metal,waste of time and money.Replacement will pay back saving fuel bills.

Sounds like rental property or some of the old Italians I use to work for,penny wise ,pound foolish!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
I got a ton of used storm windows,give them to ya fer $25/each.

They are just scrap metal,waste of time and money.Replacement will pay back saving fuel bills.

Sounds like rental property or some of the old Italians I use to work for,penny wise ,pound foolish!
I say, YOU just lost a job. Ive learned this the hard way, people want what they want. As long as the product wont cause the house to fall down or other wise be unsafe, if thats what they want, sell it to them. We had one customer have us install storms, Called us 18 months later for replacement windows! I just made double my money
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I say, YOU just lost a job. Ive learned this the hard way, people want what they want. As long as the product wont cause the house to fall down or other wise be unsafe, if thats what they want, sell it to them. We had one customer have us install storms, Called us 18 months later for replacement windows! I just made double my money
I got my first call for storm windows this fall,I had just sided the house and asked the owner of the property how he wanted me to wrap the windows because the old storms were shot.
Well he didn't want replacements because it was rental property.(his brother in law lived there)and then he wanted me to buy the storms so he could put them in.He saved the old ones to replace the old broken wood sash.
Let's see,it is now Dec19 and no storms have been installed.He isn't paying for heat ,so he doesn't care.
Drove by his house,and he has new replacement windows,so I figure he's just too cheap to do what's right, or nothing at all on his rentals.

Sometimes you can tell the ones that will never spend the money.
The way I see it,if the guys getting $60 storm windows,he might as well just put up plastic,then he'll really save some money.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
President

Trade: Installing windows, siding, roofing, doors, patio rooms, gutters and shutters.

We still do 5 or 6 jobs a year with Storms because of Historic Districts and some time apt. owners want prices on storms. A good storm window from Harvey cost $135.00 plus install. I would, and we do, price jobs with storms and also give a price for single hung at the same time and let them choose.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Pro Deck Guy

Trade: Jim's free government helper

I own an old rental property with storms, and I eventually am planning to do replacement windows. Why do I care about the tenants? Because there tends to be less of a turnover when you can provide a place with much less of a heat bill. Not to mention the obvious added equity for resale down the road.