Question About Hardi Lap Siding Installation

Old 04-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Question About Hardi Lap Siding Installation

The Hardi website instructions are different from what I see happening on almost every job I drive by.

Hardi says put the boards around the windows and doors and corners first, and then put the lap siding up to these boards with a 1/8 gap. The gap, then tbe be filled with caulk.

But on practically every single job I see, they are putting the lap siding all the way to the corner and to door sand windows with the trim and corner boards going on top of the lap siding. Now I can see how this method might make a better water seal and the corners since don't have to rely on caulk. What I don't like at all is how the trim board above the windows and/or dorrs often appears to lean in at the top since it is resting against a slanted lap-siding board.

Any thoughts on this? Are most jobs done this way because it is easier? That's my guess. It does not look as good in my opinion.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Soon to be senile

Trade: Remodel and repair
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Question About Hardi Lap Siding Installation

I've never seen it done that way with the window, door and corner trim put on after the fact. I honestly can't imagine it looking very nice done in that manner.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

I'm with Shamrock. I have a difficult time believing that you see it all the time the other way. It would project past the window to far. I see people not using any window trim often. I saw on 1 job the corner skipped altogether...

Bob
Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Gaetano

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to vtgaetano

I too am with the majority here, doesn't even make sense. Trim on "top" of your siding?????? I put the stuff on everyday we do as the say, leave gaps everywhere and caulk. Not quite an 1/8" but a gap. Covers me in any "improper" installation claim.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

Trade: General

Thanks for this info guys.

I'm no expert but I am sure that is what I am seeing. The trim is definitely on top of the siding arounds doors, windows, and corners.

The only thing I can figure is it is the same contractor doing all the ones in this neighborhood. Or that this odd method has somehow caught on here in The Woodlands, Texas and surrounding areas.

But at least I feel comfortable now asking my contractor about it before I sign a contract.

And yea, I think realize 1/8 gap is a little big; it was just the first number that came to my mind.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Class A Contractor "BLD"

Trade: Remodeling and home improvements
Rewards Points: 500

Trim on top of the siding? Ha Ha ha...........
Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Sidin Contractor

Trim on top of the siding?

Yikes!!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

I just did a job that was 35 sq of hardi siding, this was on an addition and renovation job i'm doing. we put on all the miratech trim first and hardie soffits, then the hardie siding next. with 1/8" gap between boards, and at each end. i can't imagine any homeowner liking the trim over the siding. i just can't figure out why anyone would do that.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #9

Trade: siding,carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

If were talking about the same stuff I was installing last week, It's made like OSB 8" x 16' I have to put it up with my wood boards over the siding and caulk the gaps cause it is repair work and that was how it was installed in the whole complex.
We have been in and out of there for 2 years with this junk! There was a big law suit over this stuff here. fact is they dont eaven install it anymore over here on new work!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
Soon to be senile

Trade: Remodel and repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bridgewater
If were talking about the same stuff I was installing last week, It's made like OSB 8" x 16' I have to put it up with my wood boards over the siding and caulk the gaps cause it is repair work and that was how it was installed in the whole complex.
We have been in and out of there for 2 years with this junk! There was a big law suit over this stuff here. fact is they dont eaven install it anymore over here on new work!
If I remember correctly, that was a Masonite product (or something similar) your referring to. I do recall hearing numerous complaints about. Haven't seen it mentioned in years.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #11
Dan

hardie plank is not like OSB, not even anything like it. it comes in 12' lengths, and 6 1/4", 7 1/4", and 8 1/4. not sure if it comes in any biggers sizes. 1/3 of the price of cedar. kinda looks like asbestos, but isn't. I used fiber cement shears to cut it.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 1,098

I too have seen Hardi Lap done like that. In particular, it's a certain builder in the area. They make extension jambs out from the windows, then apply the trim over the siding. It is ridiculous if you ask me (they didn't ).

Also, believe it or not, we have done a ton of repairs for a builder in the area that has siding guys hang vinyl and then put cedar trim boards directly over the vinyl around windows and on outside corners. The honestly cut the vinyl to size, hang it all, then attach cedar 1x4's with 3'' deck screws, then paint it. We have been called out to so many leaks because of it.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Sidin Contractor

...cut the vinyl to size, hang it all, then attach cedar 1x4's with 3'' deck screws, then paint it.

That's disgusting, gives us vinyl guys a bad reputation.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
CRAZY4X4DAD

Trade: remodeling sub.
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to willbone3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sider' Brian
...cut the vinyl to size, hang it all, then attach cedar 1x4's with 3'' deck screws, then paint it.

That's disgusting, gives us vinyl guys a bad reputation.
those guys need shot! they have instructions for the inexperienced those guys keep us in SERVICE WORK
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #15
Valley Springs,ca

Trade: General and Landscape contractor

Although I prefer siding run to trim Hardie lists trim applied over the siding as an acceptable method.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows
Rewards Points: 500

here in north east pa. you would have a ton of bats filling the gaps left between the hardi board with trim on top. that instalation does not even make sense. all i can think of is yuke!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylguy
here in north east pa. you would have a ton of bats filling the gaps left between the hardi board with trim on top. that instalation does not even make sense. all i can think of is yuke!!!!

All I can think of is the word :HACK:
Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #18

Trade: general contractor

did a job the other day of 48 square of hardi(prefinished pain in the a**) but we used azek board around all windows butted siding up to it and caulked. OVER THE SIDING that sounds like women no good LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #19
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Maintenance
did a job the other day of 48 square of hardi(prefinished pain in the a**) but we used azek board around all windows butted siding up to it and caulked. OVER THE SIDING that sounds like women no good LOL
the job i described above was primed and then one coated from the factory with BM paint, but the painter will caulk and put the second coat on it, it's completely done now. and i told the home owner i wouldn't put a finish coat on it before it's installed due to the PIA factor, plus it still has to be caulked and it's nice to paint over the caulked areas so they are hidden. i can't imagine working with a finish painted hardie board and expect it to be perfect when you are all done. we didn't ruin our pieces with too much dirt, but it still needs to be painted once it's up.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential custom home builder

We went through a long learning process before doing our first fibercement job this spring. We looked at (and rejected) one technique where you put outside corners on of treated lumber just thicker than the siding at the lap. Then you side and caulk to that. A finish corner board is then put over the lumber and spans over the siding about an inch. It makes for a very clean look, but I'd think bugs and whatever might like that gap behind the corners.