Pella Vs. Andersen

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

Trade: Windows
Rewards Points: 10

Pella Vs. Andersen

Anyone experienced with andersen and pella patio doors? Trying to decide between the 2 for a 6ft door with a 1k budget for materials.

For andersen - what is the main diff between the 200 and 400 series?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Re: Pella Vs. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIContractor724 View Post
Anyone experienced with andersen and pella patio doors? Trying to decide between the 2 for a 6ft door with a 1k budget for materials.

same frame. The panels are not clad but factory finish paint.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,132

Quote:

I hate them both, However, I would go with the Andersen. DO NOT use the 200 series. The 200 is generally a builders grade. Use the 400 Series frenchwood, gonna run ya bout $1400. I also believe the kick plate height on the 400 is higher than on the 200 which is called a narrow line. Just make sure you bring your brain with you the day you install it, as its a nightmare sometimes putting those Andersen kits together. not to mention it comes in numerous boxes and your supplier will inevitably short you one of the boxes.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #4

thanks guys. one question - can you get the 400 series in a standard vinyl on both sides to reduce the price? the customer has curtains in front of the door, and doesnt care if the inside facing of the door is a finished wood....
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,132

Quote:
thanks guys. one question - can you get the 400 series in a standard vinyl on both sides to reduce the price? the customer has curtains in front of the door, and doesnt care if the inside facing of the door is a finished wood....
No the only option to wood would be pre finished white wood. If this is the case though, I would stronly suggest that the customer take a look at a Quality Vinyl door, Never have to paint or finish, no worries about rot, easy to clean, can be custom sized, CHEAPER, a GOOD vinyl door will run you about $800
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
No the only option to wood would be pre finished white wood. If this is the case though, I would stronly suggest that the customer take a look at a Quality Vinyl door, Never have to paint or finish, no worries about rot, easy to clean, can be custom sized, CHEAPER, a GOOD vinyl door will run you about $800

I'll add to this............vinyl doors from the home centers don't count.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #7

thx. customer wants to get all materials from home depot - what is the best vinyl door they carry there? i know the and. 200 series comes in a vinyl only, but somebody expressed some concerns about the quality of the door.

is there anything at HD that is of decent construction?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Insert title

Quote:
thx. customer wants to get all materials from home depot - what is the best vinyl door they carry there? i know the and. 200 series comes in a vinyl only, but somebody expressed some concerns about the quality of the door.

is there anything at HD that is of decent construction?
If that is your only place to shop go for the 200 or 400. Stay clear of their vinyl patio doors that say that they are an Andersen company (Andersen bought silverline/Amercian Craftsman and they place their name on the doors). If your customer wants one of the cheap doors find another customer.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #9

thanks again doug - i think the 200 should fit in the customers price limit.

any idea what a 200 series, white vinyl would run?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Insert title

Quote:
thanks again doug - i think the 200 should fit in the customers price limit.

any idea what a 200 series, white vinyl would run?
I think the door with a white handle and screen comes in at just under $1000. The frenchwood with a brass handle and screen comes in at $1500. Don't buy their sill supports or oak thresholds, I don't like them. You will need to get a 6' oak saddle and rip it down since their thresholds have a 3/4" offset.

For some reason people hate the Andersen kit doors, I love them! One person can install them in about 3 hours once they have done a few. Pay attention when you install the weather stripping on the doors, it is very easy to install the wrong piece or on the wrong side of the door. When you need to play with the rollers use a allen wrench, screw drivers don't work that well.

if you have any problems give me a call $4.99 per minute and I talk real slow.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Doug--
Do you buy your Andersen kits form a stocking dealer?
My problems with the kits are when it's ordered, and something doesn't show up, or is damaged.
Learned to unpack everything and look really closely before pulling an existing unit.
Crappy to wait 2 weeks for one part.
In the olden days everyone shipped K/D. I like that part.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
Doug--
Do you buy your Andersen kits form a stocking dealer?
My problems with the kits are when it's ordered, and something doesn't show up, or is damaged.
Learned to unpack everything and look really closely before pulling an existing unit.
Crappy to wait 2 weeks for one part.
In the olden days everyone shipped K/D. I like that part.
If I need them I buy them at the depot. I much rather sell a nice triple pane vinyl door over an Andersen or Pella door. Both companies make mid grade products at best and they both have a mid grade warranty.

Stay away from ordering them, you are correct about the missing or damaged parts. It hurts when you plan a day and find a damaged product, nobody wants to pay you for your wasted time.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
If I need them I buy them at the depot. I much rather sell a nice triple pane vinyl door over an Andersen or Pella door. Both companies make mid grade products at best and they both have a mid grade warranty.
Stay away from ordering them, you are correct about the missing or damaged parts. It hurts when you plan a day and find a damaged product, nobody wants to pay you for your wasted time.
REAL yards around here don't stock anymore, it's all ordered in.
I feel like I'd need a shower if I went in a Despot store, so not much choice there. Buying from them just seems to be feeding the problem to me --I know,, but I gotta try and have some standards.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

!8 lumber by me can get stuff within 3 days , sometimes next day. and they wont forget to call you when it comes in. They are one of the last surviving real lumberyards in my area.

other lumber yards near me that have bit the dust

raritan lumber
east brunswick lumber
rolfe building material
miller bergen and welsh
rosenthal lumber
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Curmudgeon

I'd rather do business with them than mourn their passing
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
I'd rather do business with them than mourn their passing

well I did. back when they were still in business. One by one the owners retired. passed away, became property for condos or chain retail. I would do business with them if they were still here. 18 lumber does a thriving business. A funny thing about 18, if you stop there to order material to be delivered. you better not stop for coffee or donuts on the way to the job site or the material will more than likely beat you to the job. their service has got me out of a jam in many instances. for example when you find out you need to re-deck a portion of roof in the morning a cell phone call and the material is there within hours.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #17

Doug another question - do you see any issues picking up one of the pre-built 200's that they already have in stock at HD? given all these issues people are saying about the kits, wondering if this would be my best option
Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #18
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

Just wondering, are the Home Depots "Pros" answering any of your questions, I mean they are selling you the door.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #19

Not really, they basically said the 400 series was the only thing i should consider. Looking for some unbiased advice....
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #20
Insert title

Quote:
Not really, they basically said the 400 series was the only thing i should consider. Looking for some unbiased advice....
I don't know the numbers (200/400) that well. Any of the Andersen patio doors are fine except the vinyl ones. The $1000 door/handle/screen one that I mentioned in an earlier post is a vinyl coating over wood. The door is a perfectly fine mid range door---the frenchwood looks better if you like the look of wood. One thing to watch for is the unit size, the width is 70.5" so you might have to rework your trim.

Don't let the kits scare you, read the instructions and you will be fine.