Pella? Certainteed? Simonton? Which Is Best?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

Trade: Windows
Rewards Points: 10

Pella? Certainteed? Simonton? Which Is Best?

I have a new construction and the homeowners are trying to decide between these three windoes - Pella, Certainteed and Simonton - mid-grade. What is everyone's experience out there with these brands? I know what I think but need more data than just my own experiences. Thanks...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 538

Re: Pella? Certainteed? Simonton? Which Is Best?

throw andersen 200 series into the mix. not alot of options but a good window and or patio door @ a good price point. contact circle of excellence dealer

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,684

I like the simontons. We have been using them on the last so many jobs and I put them in my own house.

Not a fan of Andersen any more.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Remodeler Extraordinare

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbreeze View Post
I have a new construction and the homeowners are trying to decide between these three windoes - Pella, Certainteed and Simonton - mid-grade. What is everyone's experience out there with these brands? I know what I think but need more data than just my own experiences. Thanks...

If your looking for mid range pricing on windows I recommend Certainteed windows. I've installed a few with no issues and they are definetely qaulity windows for the price!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbreeze View Post
Pella wood windows (clad) are ok. I actually have them on my house....but I am replacing them with triple pane windows.

Pella vinyl windows, I would not use if they were free.

I have replaced a bunch of Certainteed Windows that failed. The product line does not impress me.

Simonton, great company, great products. I can't get past how ugly their welds are on their vinyl windows. They sell a ton of them so the welds must not bother anyone else.

Andersen, I love their patio doors however I am not a fan of their windows.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Rewards Points: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post

Simonton, great company, great products. I can't get past how ugly their welds are on their vinyl windows. They sell a ton of them so the welds must not bother anyone else.
This is pretty funny as I thought I was the only one who thought that the welds are terrible. Other than that, I like the windows.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 150

I have used Milgard windows for years and LOVE them. Especially love the lifetime warranty. I did use certainteed windows on one job years ago and The clients on that job did seem to really like them. No experience with any of the others mentioned.

Sam
Old 09-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
Remodeler Extraordinare

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
Pella wood windows (clad) are ok. I actually have them on my house....but I am replacing them with triple pane windows.

Pella vinyl windows, I would not use if they were free.

I have replaced a bunch of Certainteed Windows that failed. The product line does not impress me.

Andersen, I love their patio doors however I am not a fan of their windows.

Interesting I have yet to have any issues with Certainteed. Where exactly was the failure point on the windows......the weep holes?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
The man with a plan

Trade: Union Roofer/Sider

Simonton windows are junk unless you get the 5500 series. Even still, they're still junk. I have installed a butt load of them. Pella is nice, but not for the price. In my opinion, Peachtree is by far the BEST window and doors made.Marvin is a good second choice.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,684

Uh, oh, here we go a Union man. They always know everything.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
The man with a plan

Trade: Union Roofer/Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Uh, oh, here we go a Union man. They always know everything.
For sure!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows

peachtree!
you've got to be kidding me. i could rattle off 10-12 windows that blow them away. i used to use them years ago but had lots of problems. maybe its a climate thing.
certianteed windows well i suppose their alright if your trying to buy cheap. i mean they are for sale in every lumber yard in america i think and where do you differenciate yoourself at when all the other truck and ladder guys sell them. it only comes down to a price thing. i'll do it for this counter i'll do it for this and so on!
simmonton decent window but they to are saturating the market at least in my area and your right that is something i point out to ho is the weld come on they have a decent window how much trouble is it to fix the weld? also we crush there warrenties
anderson no way we replace to many of them for me to be able to put them in althou i hear the renewal is cool however very pricey and who knows how fiberglass will hold up 10 years from now ?
now pella i would not use them just for the fact that they would sell such a crappy junky window in lowes to the public. anybody that would whore themselves out like that i want no dealings with.
go on the net and do your research find a great window that only yoou can install in your area charge a little more and have happier customers and less headaches!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #13

Trade: Windows

I appreciate all the feedback - especially about Milgard - don't have a lot of experience installing them - will definately research. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #14

Trade: glass and window company
Rewards Points: 75

Milgard is comperable to Certainteed. Now Certainteed just sold off thier window division so I would steer clear of them until the dust settles. A large transfer of hands like this usually results in a dip in quality, and delays with product. While you are researching check out Jeld-Wen.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Expert Roofer

Trade: ROOFING/HOME IMPROVEMENTS-WINDOWS/SIDING/GUTTERING/COPPER WORK,ETC
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via MSN to theroofinggod Send a message via Yahoo to theroofinggod

specific to vinyl??--pella thermastar suck,certainteed was the best including beating out the rest in a consumer reports study/test in 10/93,simonton was their top fabricator,and has improved the window dramatically---you have name brands on a lot of windows-certainteed sells the extrusions and has several fabricators who make the window differently,my money`s on the simonton ,fully welded(5500),low e/argon gas,full screen window--the certaqinteed also beat out the wood windows in that test as well,including pella,anderson,peachtree,kolb and kolb,marvin,and others---today definitely simonton-the balances,the denny clip pivot system,and on and on
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 AM   #16
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroofinggod View Post
specific to vinyl??--pella thermastar suck,certainteed was the best including beating out the rest in a consumer reports study/test in 10/93,simonton was their top fabricator,and has improved the window dramatically---you have name brands on a lot of windows-certainteed sells the extrusions and has several fabricators who make the window differently,my money`s on the simonton ,fully welded(5500),low e/argon gas,full screen window--the certaqinteed also beat out the wood windows in that test as well,including pella,anderson,peachtree,kolb and kolb,marvin,and others---today definitely simonton-the balances,the denny clip pivot system,and on and on
Not sure if you read my post but do you think the Simonton welds are ugly?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Expert Roofer

Send a message via MSN to theroofinggod Send a message via Yahoo to theroofinggod

Early On ,the Ones In My House Look Fine
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by go dart View Post
throw andersen 200 series into the mix. not alot of options but a good window and or patio door @ a good price point. contact circle of excellence dealer
Oh yea those are awesome, windows to REPLACE about 8 years down the road weve replaced so many 200 series with all vinyls on houses less than 10 years old. 200 series is strictly a builders grade.

Ive been looking into Marvins as a wood window, Has anyone done anything with Eagle windows? They seem like a nice solid window w/ lots of options except they seem to be out of everyones price range.

Also anyone care to comment on Shuco windows? They get a lot of talk on the replacement window boards. I had never seen one until I saw them on display at the mall one day didnt see anything to special about them to warrant the price tag

For a vinyl id rather stick to a local company that makes and sells the windows. We use mainly the Harvey Classic seem to perform well never had any serious issues with them either a nice solid window
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #19
Expert Roofer

don`t like shucco
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroofinggod View Post
don`t like shucco
Can you please elaborate. Anyone i meet that talks about them raves that they are the best window I cant seem to understand what they feel makes them so much better. What was your experience with them?? Are they made in the US? CT maybe but I think some of the parts come from Germany?

Advertisement