Pella Or Anderson

Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Siding Gutters Windows
Rewards Points: 250

Pella Or Anderson

we've been using anderson 400 as our primary wood window product for years. pella has been trying real hard lately to get us committed to using them as their primary wood window vendor.

i'm not too familiar with pella as far as what they have to offer and what their products are like. but we are considering using pella b/c anderson windows are very difficult to quote on the spot. we only have 2 options to quote an anderson window. 1) call it in and 2) use their unuserfriendly software.

pella offered a pricing booklet for us based on UI. granted it may not be exact but they promised it wont be under true cost. from a business stand point, this makes the most sense. 1 call closes are very important.

what are some of your likes and dislikes about either products?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 508
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Re: Pella Or Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractorjay View Post
we've been using anderson 400 as our primary wood window product for years. pella has been trying real hard lately to get us committed to using them as their primary wood window vendor.

i'm not too familiar with pella as far as what they have to offer and what their products are like. but we are considering using pella b/c anderson windows are very difficult to quote on the spot. we only have 2 options to quote an anderson window. 1) call it in and 2) use their unuserfriendly software.

pella offered a pricing booklet for us based on UI. granted it may not be exact but they promised it wont be under true cost. from a business stand point, this makes the most sense. 1 call closes are very important.

Andersons pricing is ridiculous. They just don't make pricing "in home friendly" Unless your an RBA dealer, which you don;t want to be.

Pella is easier but the window is just "ok". If I were you, I'd look into Marvin Integrity. They do have a user friendly pricing software and it's a better window than the other choices. They us Ultrex (fiberglass) exteriors and real wood interior.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Lemonade Salesman

Trade: Renovation and Concrete Renovation
Rewards Points: 298

I've used all three at one point or another. Pella was my mainstay for a long time. I liked their pricing methods and the way the company backed us up in the field. I used some andersons for some high end oak sash replacements on a historical renovation because of the crazy dimensions and the fact that their windows just matched the home better. I was working with Marvin for about two years and they were great to work with. I liked the fiberglass exterior because I didn't have to worry about scratches as much as I did with the pellas. I didn't think marvin had the best support but their windows were easier to work with. They all have their place depending on the job. If I go back to doing a lot of windows I'll be using all three next time so as to better meet the jobsite needs.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

all three use cardinal glass and all 3 basically have the same performance numbers. that said, Marvin is better quality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welterweight For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (03-02-2011), buddy110 (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
hurtlocker

Trade: homebuilder remodeler carpenter

Pella is still using old technology
If you look very closely at a few of the exteriors of the sashes
You can see wood through the corners
They are still cladding pine with mitered corners

Andersen is about 10 to 15 years ahead in technology
I am not a big fan of there service though
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailkiller1 View Post
Pella is still using old technology
If you look very closely at a few of the exteriors of the sashes
You can see wood through the corners
They are still cladding pine with mitered corners

Andersen is about 10 to 15 years ahead in technology
I am not a big fan of there service though

how does anderson miter their corners?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are looking for real quality check out Loewen.
The Following User Says Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
Bill Z (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
If you are looking for real quality check out Loewen.

thanks, ill check it out. im really just looking for something easy to quote and easy to sell.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Renovation contractor, finish carpenter

Anderson sashes are all vinyl clad and the corners are welded. They have started a new program to make almost any size window that you want.

They were losing a share of the replacement market because there sizes didn't match alot of other companies.

I have installed all three of the windows mentioned, I like the Anderson product and the Marvin.

Locally Anderson is a better buy for me plus I install for my local dealer. I don't care for the Pella product, main reason is there 2 piece glazing.

I have ripped out windows because the interior pane was stuck to the exterior part of the system.

Get the best product you can with the best service record and work out the other stuff.

I would imagine that a 49" window is nearly the same price as a 48" window of the same caliber?

Good luck
Chad
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
hurtlocker

Quote:
how does anderson miter their corners?
They don't anymore
its all solid continuous
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractorjay

Anyone familiar with Weathershield brand windows? If so how do they stand up to the other brands ?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
all three use cardinal glass and all 3 basically have the same performance numbers. that said, Marvin is better quality.
When did Pella start using cardinal glass? I had a rep come in a couple months ago bragging about how they do their own glass until I asked why they couldn't get their window to meet the 30/30 without an external hardcoat low e (Sun defense package)... Overall, I think the product is OKAY, but all the support I've ever gotten from them has been terrible.The mitered & cladded sashes are a weak point, as are all of their tilt-in systems. Funny thing is, I think that their slogan is perfect: they are "viewed to be the best", whether or not its warranted... I've been on the Weathershield bandwagon lately. They have some nice glass packages, features,options, and designs. They used to be really pricey, but we've gotten some better pricing lately that actually makes them cheaper than Pella and Anderson-- for what is a better window imo. The Marvins are really nice as well, but I can't find a decent price on them around here.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
When did Pella start using cardinal glass? I had a rep come in a couple months ago bragging about how they do their own glass until I asked why they couldn't get their window to meet the 30/30 without an external hardcoat low e (Sun defense package)... Overall, I think the product is OKAY, but all the support I've ever gotten from them has been terrible.The mitered & cladded sashes are a weak point, as are all of their tilt-in systems. Funny thing is, I think that their slogan is perfect: they are "viewed to be the best", whether or not its warranted... I've been on the Weathershield bandwagon lately. They have some nice glass packages, features,options, and designs. They used to be really pricey, but we've gotten some better pricing lately that actually makes them cheaper than Pella and Anderson-- for what is a better window imo. The Marvins are really nice as well, but I can't find a decent price on them around here.

i'm actually pretty confused as to what the importance of none mitered corners vs mitered corners. besides the fact that it may be structurally inferior to continuous solid frames. i understand that every contractor/installer has their own preference as to which product is the best. from a business stand point, consumer are uneducated as to what the real difference is from feature to feature such as options and glass packages. from my experience, 99% of the consumers who want wood windows just wants a product that is strong and energy efficient at a fair price. on very very rare occasions, ill encounter a consumer who researched the hell out of windows on the internet.

pella tells me that they are the most recognized window company in the market. pella the name brand should be able to sell itself. maybe i'm just hearing a lot of woos. i havent sat down in front of a marvin or weathersheild rep.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 508
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Quote:
pella tells me that they are the most recognized window company in the market. pella the name brand should be able to sell itself. maybe i'm just hearing a lot of woos. i havent sat down in front of a marvin or weathersheild rep.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

Jay, I installed Pella Architect Series in my house five years ago. The wood frame inside is not mitered, but its the metal clading thats mitered on the outside. So far I like them and have not had any issues, other than a few at installation. But what I have found is that Pellas service in our area is poor. It took me over a year to get Pella Service out to take care of some bad screens and a busted pin on a sash. I now inform my clients up front, that while Pella makes a nice window Pellas service stinks, since then I have not sold Pella.

Last edited by kswoodbutcher; 03-02-2011 at 06:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kswoodbutcher For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (03-02-2011), HomeSealed (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 150

I've installed Pallas for over 5 years. Their service and quality has gone down drastically. I do love the vinyl clad on the andersons, but wish they used the metal fins like pellas. Half the stuff I get from pella is busted or defective in one way or another, but we have a good rep in the norristown gunton factory who takes care of all my needs. I haven't had much time with marvins, but what I've seen they are nice windows. I think the andersons have stepped it up ever since they cladded the sides of the window sill where it used to be exposed wood. Pella is still going through lawsuits from their infamous miter problem when they made the sash reversible and it used to let water in the bottom miter because it overlapped in the wrong direction, ooops
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
windows & siding

Jay, the significance of the cladding on Pella's sashes is that it is usually responsible for them rotting out in ten years. Its thin aluminum, and when the seal of the metal fails in those corners, water gets in and rots the wood from the outside in.... Like I said, I dont think its the worst window out there, but there are better choices and friendlier companies to deal with. I'll still install them by request, but I always show another product with it and inform the client of the pros and cons of each.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
hurtlocker

Quote:
i'm actually pretty confused as to what the importance of none mitered corners vs mitered corners. besides the fact that it may be structurally inferior to continuous solid frames. i understand that every contractor/installer has their own preference as to which product is the best. from a business stand point, consumer are uneducated as to what the real difference is from feature to feature such as options and glass packages. from my experience, 99% of the consumers who want wood windows just wants a product that is strong and energy efficient at a fair price. on very very rare occasions, ill encounter a consumer who researched the hell out of windows on the internet.

It seems to me you have your mind set on buying the pellas
I would recomend touring some of the top manufacturer factorys
Pella, marvin, andersen

So you understand the problem with the mitered cladding
When the sash is closed on a casement window
I can look through the mitered clading on top outside and see the pine
it is covering
If this technology was good
All of the industry leaders would not be going away from it
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #19

Trade: Glass and windows
Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
No window company makes their own glass or does their own LowE coatings - but many make their own IG's - which may be what the salesman was referring to?

Weathershield also uses Cardinal...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
windows & siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
No window company makes their own glass or does their own LowE coatings - but many make their own IG's - which may be what the salesman was referring to?

Weathershield also uses Cardinal...
You're correct. I was using "do their own glass" and IG interchangeably.