Nichiha Siding

Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Nichiha Siding

Can anyone tell me about the siding that Nichiha produces for the fiber cement siding industry? Everything you can tell me about it would be appreciated. Especially if the information on it is negative.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Nichiha Siding

never heard of it - is that a Hardie competitor?

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

I read from 2 guys that install it and they both love it, except for one guys comments about trim on corners.

I don't know why though.

Ed

Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 164

I could tell you a lot about it. I've visited the factory in Georgia and installed a lot of it.

Since you obviously looking for dirt I don't want to get involved.

There's about 3 to 4 different systems though. Here's the paneled clip system and the last job I did..

http://thecontractorsclub.com/durret...ha-cp2-30.html

I've also done a lot of the shake panels. The new stuff there coming out with is supposed to compete with hardie and "should" be better than hardie. It's not layered like traditional fiber cement.

Last edited by thesidingpro; 12-06-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Here is the reply I got from the nearby Nichiha rep.:

Thank you for your interest in Nichiha products. We now make a line of products that include trim and soffit in addition to our shakes, boards, and panels. The following distributors should be able to direct you to local dealers who can answer your questions:

PPW
1831 Massaro Blvd.
Tampa FL 33619
800-273-4076

WholesaleWood Products
819 Cowarts Rd
Dothan AL 36302
(334) 793-6028

Please let me know if I may be of any more assistance to you.

Thank you,
Rachel Saxon
Marketing Coordinator
Nichiha USA, Inc.
6659 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Ste AA
Norcross, GA 30092
Ph: (770) 805-9466 X1012
Fax: (770) 805-9467
rsaxon@nichiha.com

So far I have NOT been able to find anything bad about this FCS company based in Japan.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 164

It's because it's new. I don't even think the traditional lap siding and trim is available yet. It's coming soon but not yet. I'm actually working up a bid that's going to be several hundred square of lap siding and a couple thousand feet of soffits which is all there product.

Last edited by thesidingpro; 12-15-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #7

Just got the new Nichiha product brochure in the mail. They now have a full line of products to compete with Hardie and Certainteed. It's called Nichiboard: 5.25" to 12" wide, 12 feet long, 5/16" thick, and smooth or cedar texture. Then there is Nichitrim: 3.5" to 11.5" wide, 7/16" to 1" thick, 10 to 12 feet long, and smooth or cedar texture. And finally Nichisoffit: 12" to 48" wide, 8 to 12 feet long, .25" thick, smooth or cedar texture, and vented or non-vented.

So far I have not been able to find anything negative about Nichiha. The product is one solid piece of fiber cement, not laminated. They use less silica than the competition, so I don't know how that will affect the durability; but Nichiha is proud of that fact. You guys ought to check this manufacturer out. Let me know what you find.

Advertisement