Material Choice For Fascia.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #1

Trade: I am a licensed contractor that has been building homes and doing remodeling for 20 yrs.
Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Material Choice For Fascia.

Hi Guy's new here.

I was looking for some ideas on which material to use on my homes new addition. I am at the point to where i have to install some fascia material. I have a contractor lined up to install the new cedar impression vinyl siding and aluminum trim work. I just wanted to know what the rest of you siding and trim contractors use as a fascia material that is going to be covered with aluminum coil stock. He suggested rough sawn 1x6. I am a little leary of the roughness and cupness of this material from past usage during other applications. Is there any other cheap alternative material that everyone uses. Would appreciate some help. Thank's Guy's.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to skymaster

Re: Material Choice For Fascia.

What about Azek or its cousin's and not having to wrap it?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,636

Rough sawn? You mean spruce. Ive used spruce on fascia boards for years knowing It would be covered in aluminum. If the eave has a gutter I will use #2 pine. I just tried the aztek nice stuff comes white only but soft and scuffs easily. Its also expensive even if you compare the cost of aluminun and wood verses just this board.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Every new house we do just has a 2x6 or 2x8 if its gonna be wrapped
Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

Trade: I am a licensed contractor that has been building homes and doing remodeling for 20 yrs.
Rewards Points: 10

Thank's for the info guy's. I purchased some 1x8 and 1x10 pre-primed #2 pine. I installed it today. It's only a small 12x12 dining room extension.I had to mock it up to the exsisting house. It has a 2' soffit with a 2x6 sub-fascia. I had to install a fascia to match the original. 1X8 fascia. I'm not a vinyl siding contractor. I guess in the future i can just cap the 2x stock used to cap the rafter ends.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Expert Roofer

Trade: ROOFING/HOME IMPROVEMENTS-WINDOWS/SIDING/GUTTERING/COPPER WORK,ETC
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via MSN to theroofinggod Send a message via Yahoo to theroofinggod

yeah that`s the way to go if you`re capping it,as long as your roof and gutter flashing are good you`ll never have a problem w/#2 pine