Marvin Windows - Alternatives?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Marvin Windows - Alternatives?

I'm on a big historical remodel and the architect spec'd Marvin wood replacement windows (the kind that just pop into the old frame)

Marvin is expensive and the arch said I'm OK to use another company - but has to be wood, etc...so, I am shopping around but other than Pella or Anderson, not sure where to turn....

Anyone?

OH - And how much should I charge???

Seriously, the first question was geniune

MHM

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,316

Re: Marvin Windows - Alternatives?

Eagle, Makes awesome wood windows with nice detail. They have tons and tons of options. If you work around some of their more common options you can get a pretty decent price. They are awesome to install and our customers always tell us they exceeded their expectations. If you dont care about looks, and just want cheap wood, look at Trimline you may have a local distributor that makes the trimline but just slaps a different name on it

Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Eagle, Makes awesome wood windows with nice detail. They have tons and tons of options. If you work around some of their more common options you can get a pretty decent price. They are awesome to install and our customers always tell us they exceeded their expectations. If you dont care about looks, and just want cheap wood, look at Trimline you may have a local distributor that makes the trimline but just slaps a different name on it
You mentioned Eagle to me once before. I am in Massachusetts and I can not find a distributor. Any ideas?

For the original poster. I have use Marvin's before and I think you are going to have a hard time finding anything cheaper with any quality. I've used Harvey Majesty's. I think they are decent and have never had a complaint. You can get them with a nail fin or as a replacement window. I doubt they will be any cheaper. My only issue with them is they do not cut down on the outside noise as much as an Andersen
Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Jen weld

No one say or throw anything at me

Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maceycon View Post
You mentioned Eagle to me once before. I am in Massachusetts and I can not find a distributor. Any ideas?
They are only sold factory direct. Their local distribution site is
Eagle Windows of New England They are in Hatfield MA, but they service from the Berkshires to Cape Cod http://www.eaglewindowne.com/
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Eagle is owned by Andersen? unless im at the wrong site

http://www.eaglewindow.com/About-Us/Overview.aspx
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
Eagle is owned by Andersen? unless im at the wrong site

http://www.eaglewindow.com/About-Us/Overview.aspx
Andersen purchased them about two years ago. LUCKILY, other than allowing Eagle to offer Lowe-4 glass and truscene screens, they let Eagle do their own thing. This stuff is nothing like an Andersen, and the people are top notch, and the service is excellent. Everything is still made in the original Eagle plant in Dubuque Iowa
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 254

I have been happy with the MW Window. Local distribution folks are a pleasure to deal with.
http://www.mwwindows.com/
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Money Changer

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Weathershield makes vinyl exterior/wood interior.

http://www.weathershield.com/windows...r2=9&subNav=11

I am going to install some of these in about a week or so. Haven't actually lain my hands on them yet, but from the site they look good. I have the new construction windows in my place and like them.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
Jen weld

No one say or throw anything at me
Put those in my home 2 years ago. You can feel the cold come from the bottom below 20 degrees. The French door is great, nice looking and tight.
Nice lockset too.
I'm not too happy with my casements, but I saved $8000 at the time.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #11

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 75

Trim line is actually a nice wood window if you go with the eclipse series. they use krypton.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

Let me add this, because of the savings and because all my woodwork is painted I went with Jeld Wen. I went to the fenestration Council website and compared specs from Jeld Wen, Marvin, Pella and Anderson.
Jeld Wen actually did better on the ratings, or matched the others.
So after 30 years in building, I still got less than I hoped even after doing the research.
I think they are still better than the Andersons that were in my old house.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

thank you gents....

I will check out Eagle, etc.

Anyone ever heard of/dealt with PEACHTREE WINDOWS??

My local building supplier is talking them up, so I'm curious.....

MHM
Old 01-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 500

peach tree is a very good window.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #15

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but looking for recommendations for new construction vinyl windows for an investment property. Saw the SuperSeal windows and was impressed with them in the showroom (as opposed to Marvin's more expensive Integrity and Infinity lines), but can't find any independent info online - positive or negative. Any thoughts/experiences with these or other lines would be much appreciated. Budget range is in the $2-400 range per/unit.

Also, anyone know how to post a new thread so I can stop piggybacking others and changing the subject ??? I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #16

Trade: Commercial Project Manager

Kolbe Windows and Doors has a nice pocket window(the kind that just pop into the old frame), however the price will be similar to Marvin. They are used on a lot of historical remodels.
They have an Ultra Series and a Heritage Series.
Kolbe-Kolbe.com
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

I like the Pella Architect series (much better than the proline) and Windsors are pretty nice.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Door and Window Installer

I think Marvin Integrity windows are pretty good. Marvin name but they are fiberglass with wood on the inside. Pretty nice and alot cheaper than regular Marvins.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
peach tree is a very good window.

Their windows may be good, but their customer service sucks.
I did a clad french inswing patio door with two sidelights.
The one door panel had a scratch on it. First they said it was impossible for the door to leave their factory that way (the scratch was behind their sealed packaging), then when the new panel arrived I had to reuse the hardware for the throw bolts. I asked them to fax a drawing of how the rods and lock mechanism was installed and they said they couldn't, they could only fax to the supplier. I asked to talk to someone in the "technical dept." and again they said only the supplier could talk to them. So I had to call my supplier and have him be the middleman in a three way phone conversation. The throw rods would not unscrew out of the door even with a pair of vise grips on them. They said the mechanism wasn't defective and the supplier would have to pay for a new mechanism to be sent out. Three weeks later, the new mechanism comes. In the mean time the HO is beyond balistic (luckily not at me, at Peachtree). The main reason they were so po'd was because they need another identical set up for their first floor that they want me to do this spring and they hate giving their money to a suck*** company.
I don't know about now but all the older Peachtree entry doors I have to replace are all undersized in their height. Normal jamb size 81 1/2", Peachtree 81". You can keep Peachtree.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #20

Trade: architectural drafting / residential design

I like both Marvin and Eagle windows.I like Eagle a little better than Marvin.
Marvin does have the better wood window and you can get it w/ actual divided lites.They use to offer a storm panel.Being in Florida are you on the coast?what is available for coastal applications (stainless hardware)

you can also try your local cabinet/mill shop and have them make replacement sash.Maybe you have or someone here has a "brosco" book.
use to order "boston"type windows which were all wood.

Andersen - is a good lower cost window has been getting better the 400 series is a good window.
pella - designer comparable to Andersen 400
Peachtree-good window gets expensive because everything is a add to the windows.
Kolbe &Kolbe also a good window have not use in a while.
jen weld - I have not use but I did see a aluminum clad that I liked.

let us know what you end up with
Djs