Maibec Siding

Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Kitchens and Baths

Maibec Siding

Hi All,
Been lurking for a while , great site by the way..

I run a small contracting company in central Ontario along with a partner. We do alot of smaller stuff (decks,fences,windows,doors and smaller renos).

We have been asked to do a wood siding job with Maibec. Have any of you used this stuff? It looks good but wondered about any problems with the product or installation quirks.

Wally

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling

Re: Maibec Siding

I've never heard of the stuff, did you "google" it?
Dave

Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
New Guy

I did google it and found their website. Was just looking for any info I could get from someone that has installed it.

maibec.com/
Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Supply

I have not installed it but I distribute it, same product out of Quebec. Maybe the most complimentary thing I can say is that it is the first thing I show a builder. The product is great, the finish has always been a great match to the samples (if you get the cabot pre-finished). Installers have no complaints either that I can recall. I highly recommend!!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
New Guy

This stuff is the cabot prefinished and it great looking stuff. Warranty looks pretty good also.

Looks like we now have 2 houses to redo in this product.One is a complete reno (board and batton) and the other is just replacing 16 sq of vinyl. We'll see how it installs

Wally
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #6

Trade: Sales

How is this coming? I sell miles of this stuff in the Collingwood, Barrie, Muskoka regions. Can I help?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
New Guy

Jobs have been done for a while. This stuff is not too bad to install but slow going. The board & batton job was bad because of the cupping but looked awesome when done.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #8

Trade: Residential remodeling/building

I had installed the Maibec shingles pre-finished with Cabots beechgrass stain. have many issues with the product even after several visits from the Maibec rep. Maibec did not stand behind what they told me
They are not a qaulity shingle. they use white cedar because red cedar would "bleed" through the stain. White cedar is what is called "mixed" grain. mixed grain has mostly flat grain and is not very stable.
If you must use it keep your exposure to 4 1/2" to limit movement, and plan on taking extra time to be sure nail placement is no more then 1" above the exposure line, and for warn your cleints that they will not lay perfectly flat in direct sun light.
I suggest you use a vertical grain western red cedar shingle. I have used them for years with no issues at all.
Google "maibec problems" you can also find a link at JLC where I have posted some pictures. take a look and see for your self.

Steve
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #9

Trade: Home builder

I am also having issues w/ Maibec siding. Mfr reps' been out a few times, they do stand behind the shingle from a fading perspective, but not from a cupping - they blame it on the sider. Of course the sider blames it on Maibec - with the builder / homeowner stuck in the middle.

W/ your recommendation to use WRC, should it be primed first to minimize the bleeding through the stain? I'm hesitant to re-use Maibec on the affected part of the house - which is the 2nd story front section (Entire) - which is eastern facing - any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #10

Trade: General Contracting Remodeling

Maibec Issues
I installed Maibec shingles and now some two years later the stain is flaking off and I have been called back to see if I can remedy. Upon looking at the job the flaking is very intermittent and dampness does not seem to be the issue but on one other side of the house it looks like there is also some mold dots in the stain. I looked into some touch up stain but find it hard to match closely and have been told Maibec has special mixes from Cabot that are hard to match.
Has anyone been called back on the stain flaking or developing a mold?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #11

Trade: roofing

Found this little story about Maibec wood siding, seems some contractor in NJ is filing a lawsuit about the product and that they were not honoring the warranties. I have not used it myself, but it seems to be intriguiging.