Leaking Patio Doors

Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Why not do it right?

Trade: General repairs
Rewards Points: 10

Leaking Patio Doors

I have been asked to try and fix a Anderson double Patio door that leaks. This is a new door in a new construction. (original installer moved), The door is installed correctly, plumb,level & sq. Copper pan under door. The door leaks in the middle where the two doors go together. The doors seem to close tight but when you look from the outside it is tight at the top and bottom but a gap in the middle. I have no clue as to why it is gaped in the middle. I have ajusted the hinges.
Any idears. Could it be the door is defected.

I said the door is installed correctly, the door was taken out and reinstalled because it leaked and the reinstall did not help.

Thank you for your help

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: Leaking Patio Doors

Get a 6' level and see if the panels/slabs have a bow in them. Andersen makes great patio doors but on occasion they send them out warped. Good luck getting there service tech's out there to look at the door---make sure you are there or they will blame it on anything but the product.

The compresion weatherstripping on the doors will not accept a bowed panel, as you found out they will leak.

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Why not do it right?

Trade: General repairs
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Thank you Dougchips, I checked the door with a level like you suggested and one of the double doors is bowed in the middle. How ofter have you seen this. Anderson has caused this home owner a lot of Heartache. They have 12 Woodright (stormwatch) Andersons top of the line windows that leak due to incorrect sealing at the factory. Anderson has tried to patch them for allmost a year. Now they have decided replacement is the only answer. Now replacing them is a major project as all the trim has to come off and it is a 3 story house. I will post back as to what is done about the door.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix-it View Post
Thank you Dougchips, I checked the door with a level like you suggested and one of the double doors is bowed in the middle. How ofter have you seen this. Anderson has caused this home owner a lot of Heartache. They have 12 Woodright (stormwatch) Andersons top of the line windows that leak due to incorrect sealing at the factory. Anderson has tried to patch them for allmost a year. Now they have decided replacement is the only answer. Now replacing them is a major project as all the trim has to come off and it is a 3 story house. I will post back as to what is done about the door.
I generally say alot of positive things about Andersen. When their $10 an hour staff can sit two time zones away and blame installers for Andersen's errors I begin to have negative feelings. It would help them if they held regional training classes for installers and certified them. These certified installers could then determine if their product was defective prior to the installation. Andersen is in the process of downsizing due to the market, I was hoping that this would increase quality.

When the door slab is replaced in 12 weeks let me know how it works.

In regards to bowed panels it is hard to guess the percentage, defective runs come and go. We had 5 PS (vinyl in/out) doors with defective weatherstripping within a month last fall. The doors actually leaked air and in one case water. Come to think of it we are still waiting for some parts.......

BTW the Andersen FHG on my house works great and does not leak even with the winds we get on a lake.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,026

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.