Larson Storm Doors

Old 07-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

Larson Storm Doors

After how many installs do they no longer become a pita? This is my third, and swore after the last I wouldn't do another. Guess I am glutton for punishment.
Attached Thumbnails
Larson Storm Doors-cimg0336.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,522

Re: Larson Storm Doors

I gave up on all storm doors a couple of years ago----A Larson was the last straw.

I'd rather install a new door with side lights--They don't take much longer to install and pay a whole lot more!!

Depot has been running a $100 installation special--Last one I installed I billed $225 and wished I never saw that door.---Mike----

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
jb4211 (03-02-2012), jkfox624 (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: retired
Rewards Points: 2,000

Interesting.

I've actually found Larson's to be the easiest to install.

Except for the old EMCO pressboard-core doors - but they are cheap as all get out and no one seems to want them.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
Interesting.

Except for the old EMCO pressboard-core doors - but they are cheap as all get out and no one seems to want them.
I sure as hell dont want to install them i can tell you that. Even if the install goes ok i can never get the damn closer to work right. Oooof it smacked my ankle before i can get in the door. Ah crap now it doesn't close. Ahhh closes now, that is until i put the glass up and close the main door. Grrrrr......is there a gun to head smiley?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkfox624 For This Useful Post:
paul100 (07-11-2011), robert c1 (11-15-2012)
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Painting & Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
Interesting.

Easier than a prehung? The larsons don't even have the lock and handle holes, or the hinge pre drilled.

Ones I get from the local builders I can install in 30 minutes. That Larson above was almost two hours.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,490

yes they do,they even have that handy key hole in the side jamb and no cut z bars...whats not to like?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
I sure as hell dont want to install them i can tell you that. Even if the install goes ok i can never get the damn closer to work right. Oooof it smacked my ankle before i can get in the door. Ah crap now it doesn't close. Ahhh closes now, that is until i put the glass up and close the main door. Grrrrr......is there a gun to head smiley?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 1,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
yes they do,they even have that handy key hole in the side jamb and no cut z bars...whats not to like?
I agree. I'de rather install a Larson than a Pella or Anderson anyday of the week.

It usually takes me longer to assemble and install the handles on those two than to actually set the door.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #9

Trade: siding/remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

larson anderson and pella are the cadillacs of storm doors the best thing is when you have the opertunity to choose the storm door for your customer choose the one you have the most experience with an eazy storm door application can turn in to an all day affair expecially when your using a door system your not familiar with i prefer larson because 1 ive installed many of them 2 most supply houses carry them 3 all the frames are basically the same no matter what remember when you get a stormdoor figured out and you can take it out the box a nd install it hardware and all in an hour the companies will change the kit on you so allways keep the directions and follow the steps
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: home remodel/repair
Rewards Points: 368

Try Gerkin.

www.gerkin.com
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,876

I have put on a lot of Larsons and others . Some are easier then others , on the fancy ones just have to read the directions to see how they want them on. IMO I think Anderson full glass with pull down screen are one of the worst ones for quaility. I do agree it is hard to get some to close right when both doors are sealed good. It is not a door problem as much as a air problem. that is where two closers are nice.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Why in the world would you guys mess around with a crappy home center door like Larson? I sell ProVia doors both entry and storm Doors. I get $700 installed on the Deluxe Series and $900 (and up) on the Decorator series storms. These are professional grade storm doors that put the best from Larsen and Pella to absolute shame. My installers love them.

http://www.proviadoor.com/

Not to mention the quality of their entry door systems. Their Signet Fiberglass door makes every other fiberglass door I've seen look like a childs toy by comparison.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Bill Z (03-05-2012)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,808

That model Larson from OP's photo had a hardware change. Previous door hardware was from China and worked well. The new hardware is from India and can be a real PITA because the clip ring that holds the interior deadbolt turn button on rubs the edge of the hole you drill.

As for their closers, they had a bad batch about a year ago. Larson is aware of it and if yours doesn't work they should send a new one for free.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Why in the world would you guys mess around with a crappy home center door like Larson? I sell ProVia doors both entry and storm Doors. I get $700 installed on the Deluxe Series and $900 (and up) on the Decorator series storms. These are professional grade storm doors that put the best from Larsen and Pella to absolute shame. My installers love them.

http://www.proviadoor.com/

Not to mention the quality of their entry door systems. Their Signet Fiberglass door makes every other fiberglass door I've seen look like a childs toy by comparison.

I would have to see one up close and personal. From their website I see no difference to justify $900 price.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 610

No problems with Larson here.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
Painting & Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
That model Larson from OP's photo had a hardware change. Previous door hardware was from China and worked well. The new hardware is from India and can be a real PITA because the clip ring that holds the interior deadbolt turn button on rubs the edge of the hole you drill.

As for their closers, they had a bad batch about a year ago. Larson is aware of it and if yours doesn't work they should send a new one for free.
Yup its totally different than any I have seen before. You are correct the D clip doesn't install correctly, or at least like it did before.

I was freaking out after drilling and installing the lock. It was upside down, and I had to take it apart to flip the catch.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
I would have to see one up close and personal. From their website I see no difference to justify $900 price.
That $900 price is what I SELL them for. Not what they cost you. Find a professional wholesale window and door distributor who carries the brand and check them out. The "Decorator" line of full view doors are technically, their second tier line. But they are some of the heaviest most well constructed doors I've ever sold. A clear "Decorator Series" door from ProVia through distribution should cost you right around $400 - $450. That includes a color matched heavy duty piano hinge, color matched 2" adjustible bottom expander/sweep, the HD mortised lock set, reinforced corner gussets, twin HD color matched closers, lifetime Schlage hardware, a lifetime warranty on the door and a seven year warranty on the paint finish.

I generally pay my guys $150 - $200 on a storm door install (R&R) and I've never had a customer who said they didn't agree that they were worth every penny. In all the years I've sold them I've never had a call back on anything made by ProVia. Their stuff, while definitely more expensive than most, is worth it in quality materials, construction, fit and finish and ease of use. They are extremely contractor friendly for sure.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 07-09-2011 at 02:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (07-10-2011), jb4211 (03-02-2012)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 568

I installed a Larson on my house a few years back... cursing up a storm, although my fault for not looking closely into a better series the hinge was reversable but not the handle, so the handle goes "up" to open door. Ill let it ride for a few years until I decided to kick it in : then have Tinstaafl install me a new one so I can get a good warranty
CookeCarpentry (07-09-2011), Tom Struble (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
I installed a Larson on my house a few years back... cursing up a storm, although my fault for not looking closely into a better series the hinge was reversable but not the handle, so the handle goes "up" to open door.
A mortise handle set??
Take the latch mechanism out of the door edge. The the trim plate should have one or maybe two screws in it. Undo those screws and take the trim plate off. Take the latch and rotate it to the opposite direction. Screw trim plate back on and replace latch mechanism. You now have a handle set for the opposite swing.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
Capra aegagrus

Rewards Points: 3,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
the hinge was reversable but not the handle, so the handle goes "up" to open door.
I've never seen a Larson like that. Methinks you need to have Tin teach you a couple of classes in instruction-reading.