Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Labor Est. for swapping vinyl rep. windows to wood clad rep. windows?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  grob62 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Putting together a proposal to swap out some 15 year old vinyl replacement windows with new aluminum or vinyl clad wood windows, probably Pellas. Theres a whole bunch, first phase is 50 windows, followed by about another hundred in 2 stages. The existing windows are vinyl tilt units in a wood frame in a masonry building. The trim inside is oak with oak stops, probably in good shape as the building is only 50 years old and seems to be in decent shape. The outside of the windows are wrapped with aluminum which is probably sealed to the outside of the replacement frame. Im guessing that if I allow 4 labor hours for each window, undo jam stops, unscrew window, scrape sealant, clean up RO, pop in new one and reseal and insulate jambs, does that sound about right? Im thinking 2 guys per window for 2 hours including loading the new in and junking the old one. Its a 4 story dorm type building, its actually a monastery of all things. I try to go conservative with labor, as to not get burned. Ive replaced tons of windows before, but not this many at once. Thanks in advance,
Blair
:thumbup:

#3 ·
If they actually take you 4 hours each give me a call and I'll come watch you work. Honestly I can't see over an hour each unless they are paying you by the hour............then 4 hours is dead on!

Get a good push cart so you are moving 2-4-6-8 windows at a time instead of one.

#5 ·
Im thinking 2 guys per window for 2 hours including loading the new in and junking the old one.
Without looking at it, I think I'd be pretty comfortable bidding 2 hrs/window just for me alone (not counting any work necessary to get the units to the upper floors). If wrapping also, add a half hour each and I'll kiss you in the morning.

Of course, only you know how your guys work.

#6 ·
Wow, is it possible to get someone elses professional opinion without all the friggen sarcasm? 4 hours per was a "conservative" estimate. You gotta load in, set up, get rid of the old windows, eat your friggen lunch, pick your a#$ a few times, you know, all the real world sh#@ that eats up time. Im not some home owner coming here to say " blah contractor how much should he charge blah blah" or asking you to do my job for me, just a second opinion. And if people are immature and condescending, then other people will stop coming here and that defeats the purpose of having a forum eh? To people who gave a real opinion, thanks I do appreciate it. B

#7 · (Edited)
No offense to you, Blair. But if you've installed "tons" of windows then it should be no problem for you to bid this job without any help from the forum. 50 windows X 4 hours per window = 200 hours? Over 2 weeks for 2 guys? I wouldn't plan on getting that bid, unless you charge $10/ hour. You did get some good info here though, like how long it should take a window professional to do the job.
I tell you what, bid it out at 200 hours x 50 = 10000 for labor. Then hire my crew to install, I'll only charge you 5000 and then you can pocket the other 5 g's and sit back and chill. It would take us 3 days tops to set 50 windows, and that's being conservative. :shifty: But only if I measure the windows.

But hey. Good Luck with that. :laughing:

BTW, I checked out your website. Very nice work. You look like one hell of a remodeler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.