Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How to cut vinyl cedar shake siding for addition?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wellbuilthome 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have a project to cut an opening and frame an addition for a fireplace in an existing wall. The opening I have to cut is 5x4' vinyl cedar shake siding. The frame needs to be 5x4x4.
I also have to pour foundation for the addition.
What's the best way to cut the siding?
I don't know if I have to screw wood into the siding before I cut so that it doesn't fall, and then frame and slide j channels in existing siding.
I'm also not sure of how deep the foundation should be. This is for a gas fireplace that does not need a chimney.

#2 ·
What works best for me is a battery skill saw or electric skill saw with a plywood blade ( they do make a fine cutting blade for vinyl siding it is thicker) install the blade backwards this way it will not chip or crack.

#5 ·
After you cut it I would slip in a piece of aluminum L bend the same color as the siding, then frame and sheath the addition, and install your J ON THE ADDITION butted against the old siding

#7 ·
I had to add a fire place bumpout to a addition after it was sided .I use a 4 " grinder with a cement blade .When i cut the sideing I like a porta-cable 315 trim saw with a cement blade and cut up on the pumps ,on the work bench.You could use a saw blade backwards with some soap on it ,or wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.