Hanging Certainteed Cement Siding

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #1

Trade: arch. design
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Hanging Certainteed Cement Siding

so! I took some advice from local building supply company... bad info
I have 26 square of siding to cement plank siding to hang and started sat
and the info I was giving to hang did not work just wrecked a few pieces of siding. I would very much appreciate any info on how to hang more specifically what to use to hang siding, air nailer? hand nail? screws?
can I use a roofing nailer thats the problem what to use to hang the siding?

thanks in advance for any help

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Hanging Certainteed Cement Siding

Almost all of our siding is fiber cement, some board and batten, but mostly planks...we've also started using a cedar shake style....

A few tips I've learned....

The nippers, IMO, are the best cutting tool. Dust free? Takes a little x-tra forethought, but if you can mark and cut your pieces upside down your ends are crisper. Trimming a 1/4" is tough so keep a palm sander nearby to adjust a cut if necessary. For long rips, I suggest using a circular saw with a diamond blade.

For notches there's abrasive jig saw blades that last longer than wood or metal cutting blades.

Personally I don't like working with fiber cement planks....They're not beveled so you're dealing with gaps under each course. The material isn't rigid enough to span any waviness in the wall and thus telegraphs any framing or sheathing issues. From the street it looks great, but if you're used to wood siding, at close inspection, you won't get the same aesthetic quality...I don't think.

Our nailing has evolved over the last few years. We blind nail, but you have to be careful not to nail too low....4" exposures with 5 1/4" planks doesn't leave much room especially if you have to cheat a little. Nail too close to the corner and it will break off.

For a while we were using #8 galvanized twist nails in a framing gun, but now we use a ringshank siding nailer. We have a plastic collated, coil siding nailer by Porter Cable that takes some time getting used to... We've had better luck using a little less pressure from the compressor and setting the nails with a hammer than risking nails blowing through. loading them is a pain, and they jam frequently. We do some face nailing when needed...I've found that a 16 ga finish nailer works pretty well with small strips and for drawing in the bottom of a plank. Pre-drilling and using a hand driven MAZE nail I'm sure is better.

A roofing nailer probably would be fine, but I have more faith in a ring shanked nail.

We've been using fiber cement consistantly for the last 8 years or so. Using the techniques I described in a harsh northeast climate and we haven't had problems to date... Cement board will brake down in a moist environment so take the same precautions you would with wood siding.

Good luck...I hope my input is helpful....

The Following User Says Thank You to WNYcarpenter For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-23-2009)
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Build, Remodel, Roofing, Siding etc...
Rewards Points: 250

WNY said it all, but here are a few things to add. I use stainless nails and nail 1" from any edge. I have Fiber Cement shears for cutting. I feel it is the best way to go for cutting. just my 2 cents

Spencer
Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Trade: arch. design

that helped alot thanks for that information.

would it be worth me buying a new gun for the 1 job. I'm doing this on my personal house and won't be doing it again and I do have a coil roofing gun. and would rather use that unless it makes that much of a difference I would rather have it done so it lasts and looks good. I plan on blind nailing this I'm using 7 1/4" siding. I also was unsure regarding the joints. I have had people tell me to use felt behind joints and some say not to, and the same with caulking joints I have heard good and bad from people. some guys say just caulk the joists and other guys say the caulking will fall out of the joint because it does not adhere well to the siding???

Thank you
for this helpful information

Last edited by PROJECT MAN; 01-07-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

Trade: Siding, Trim
Rewards Points: 25

We specialize in fiber cement siding and I love the stuff. The way I like to cut it is with the Hitachi Hardiblade, it works great for us. We also used a coil siding gun, but my guys like a framing gun with a soft tip. We shoot 2 3/8" full head ring shank galvanized, and as long as your depth is set flush they work great.
If you are using the pre finished siding factory specs call for no caulk and usually a slip sheet behing the join, but if you are installing the primed siding we always caulk the joints and then it gets painted. No problems yet with caulk not sticking.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #6

Trade: Siding, Windows, Doors, Decks, Remodel & New Construction

Being in the trades and siding being our main jobs, we found that hanging hardiplank, we use 1 1/4" Coil nailers and granny clips. The granny clips keep your laps consistent. Caulk seams as you go. Use color match nails on bottom of panels to help with bubbles, and the shears suck, grinder with diamond blade is the way to cut angles and cut out around stuff. We use skill saw with diamond blades or the actual fibercement blades to cut lengths. Space laps very well, at least 2' between, thats what we normally do and never had problems.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #7

Trade: Siding installation
Exclamation

I work for a company that installed Certainteed Fiber Cement siding on over 150 units and I am having issues with the product. I am located in northern Illinois and installed the product between April 2005 thru March 2006. Since then Certainteed has changed the formula in the panel. I am wondering if anyone else is having troubles with the Fiber Cement produced by Certainteed?
I have used the Hardi Fiber Cement and have had no issues. Installed Hardi on around 80 units.

Any imput would be great!!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer View Post
I work for a company that installed Certainteed Fiber Cement siding on over 150 units and I am having issues with the product. I am located in northern Illinois and installed the product between April 2005 thru March 2006. Since then Certainteed has changed the formula in the panel. I am wondering if anyone else is having troubles with the Fiber Cement produced by Certainteed?
I have used the Hardi Fiber Cement and have had no issues. Installed Hardi on around 80 units.

What issues are you having ?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy sider View Post
What issues are you having ?
The product is shrinking at the seams over 1/2". I used the water diverters and they are now visable. The builder specs a pre-finished product therefore I am unable to caulk the seams. Also the nails were pulling thru the product. After close review we found the nailing to be per spec. (flush nailing) We are thinking the product was absorbing too much moisture and froze during the winter months, making the product weak. Since we have had these problems Certainteed has re-formulated the product and added more flyash to the panel.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Red devil makes a product called "create a caulk" that you can match to any color.( If you have latex paint that matches) We used it on a pre-finished cement board job and it seemed to work real well. I don't know if it would fill 1/2" cracks, but it does work well for other applications where you need to match a custom color.

Last edited by buckeyeso2; 05-08-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Siding Windows Doors

Quote:
The product is shrinking at the seams over 1/2". I used the water diverters and they are now visable. The builder specs a pre-finished product therefore I am unable to caulk the seams. Also the nails were pulling thru the product. After close review we found the nailing to be per spec. (flush nailing) We are thinking the product was absorbing too much moisture and froze during the winter months, making the product weak. Since we have had these problems Certainteed has re-formulated the product and added more flyash to the panel.
Would this problem be covered under the Color Max 2 year Sure Start Waranty from Certainteed ?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #12

Trade: Building & Remodeling Contractor

Quote:

Our company installed 25 sq. of Certinteed Fiber Cement Siding on a house April of 2006 and 3 month later we had chalking and discoloration problems that had to be repaid at our expence. At that time a represenitive told us it was an excelent job of installing. 9 months later we more discoloration and shrinkage at end joints, bottom of boards cupping out, and boards cupping between studs 16"o.c. We contacted or supplier and ask to file a warrenty claim they contacted Certinteed and they sent a Rep. out to look at the siding. A few days later they responded with a letter and said it was basicly a installation problem or a moister problem from a bad roof, or poor bath room or kitchen ventilation. We had installed Hardi Fiber Cement Siding on a house before this one and one house after this house with the same cutting and nailing system with no problems. You tell me if Certieed dosen't have a product problem.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #13
Siding Windows Doors

The Certainteed reps always say its someone else's fault. Most of these reps only know whats in the brochure. Saint Gobain owns Certainteed and has a policy to pass the buck. Certainteed replaced 170 sq. of vinyl siding for us last year. The rep claimed improper install and denied the claim. When the next rep came out he saw the problem and the claim was approved.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #14

Trade: General/Rough Framing

I am now having the same problem of cupping, shrinkage and pieces litterally falling og. We had this problem two years ago on a section of a home and after much hassle from the reps we were given replacement product but had to pay for tear off and installation. Now two years later boards are loose, cupping, sagging and faling off of all the buildings in this condo project.

Can anyone give me come more insight or ammunition for dealing with this company and product again? The end guy gets screwed all the time. Certainteed should stand behind all costs associated with their bad product, including the re-installation cost, and feel that the supplier should be on board to help as well.

Again, any and all help and info would be great....the more we get together on this the further we can get collectively.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigoWhiteboy View Post
We specialize in fiber cement siding and I love the stuff. The way I like to cut it is with the Hitachi Hardiblade, it works great for us. We also used a coil siding gun, but my guys like a framing gun with a soft tip. We shoot 2 3/8" full head ring shank galvanized, and as long as your depth is set flush they work great.
If you are using the pre finished siding factory specs call for no caulk and usually a slip sheet behing the join, but if you are installing the primed siding we always caulk the joints and then it gets painted. No problems yet with caulk not sticking.

You are not suposed to use ring shank nails as it will blow out the back of the fibercement panel. You should use smooth shank nails. Double check with your supplier.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethom View Post
I am now having the same problem of cupping, shrinkage and pieces litterally falling og. We had this problem two years ago on a section of a home and after much hassle from the reps we were given replacement product but had to pay for tear off and installation. Now two years later boards are loose, cupping, sagging and faling off of all the buildings in this condo project.

Can anyone give me come more insight or ammunition for dealing with this company and product again? The end guy gets screwed all the time. Certainteed should stand behind all costs associated with their bad product, including the re-installation cost, and feel that the supplier should be on board to help as well.

Again, any and all help and info would be great....the more we get together on this the further we can get collectively.
I am involved with a law suit with Centex Homes and Certainteed regarding the fibercement. We have spent 900,000.00 on repairs at this point and still have more to do! (out of pocket) They told us it was installation error but sound like there are a few other people having the shrinkage, cupping and in some cases product falling off the wall. I will keep this sight updated as we move foward with the suit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Installer For This Useful Post:
alanheth (04-27-2009), strehlow const. (06-19-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #17

Trade: builder/owner

I put on 950 pieces of Certainteed Cementicious board on a residential building. April 2005 to August 2005. It was pre-painted and we installed like has been suggested above. WE NOTICED PROBLEMS IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. UBC sold us the product and said 50 years on product and 25 years on paint.

No paint problems, but we notified UBC by phone about numerous cracking and shrinkage at the joints. Time past, we were busy with other projects and trusted the UBC manager to address our concerns (it was not structural or life threatening).

Months when by... so I took pictures and email the complaint and pics to UBC. Months went by again so I called the UBC manager. He then contacted Certainteed who had a rep come out and look. She called UBC and myself. To us both, she said the siding was defective and stated a compensation that was less than $9 per board.

A week later we get a letter from Certainteed that stated the installation was done incorrectly and they would send us 950 pieces of unpainted siding instead of the cash offer. Nothing for removal and install or paint.

Repeated correspondence with CT has still left us with that option. The UBC supplier/agent for Certainteed agrees we may have contacted him within the Two Year install guarantee. CT still states that they will only give us 9500 pieces. Why would they offer us anything if the problem was installation?

Reading the earlier post about manufacturing problems during the exact time period our situation existed makes me think fraud with Certainteed.

Has anyone else had problems with Certainteed products in that 2005 time period?

Installer, how did things turn out for you? alanheth@yaoo,com

Thank Contractor Talk for this site guys.

Last edited by alanheth; 04-28-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #18

Trade: windows-siding

did certainteed fix the problem; change the material a bit?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #19

Trade: siding

Long live vinal siding!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to siding guy23 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-04-2009)
Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #20

Trade: builder/owner

still hoping to hear from someone who knows about the Certainteed formula change that has something to do with fly ash?

Alan