Fan Fold Insulation

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250
Question

Fan Fold Insulation

We have been into siding for a couple of years here in Central MO and have been looking for cost efficient ways to help folks reduce energy use. I personally like the sytrofoam backed siding (like polar bear) but it is pretty pricey for the extra R- value that you get. I believe a 3/8" foil backed fan fold gives the same or even more protection without all of the cracks.
What do you guys find that works well?
How about house wrap first? Good idea?
I have seen a product called "low e insulation" that is like a radient heat barrier. Think r value might be about 7. Ever use it and if so what result? at low-e.com
Thanks,
Dave

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
home improvement contract

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Fan Fold Insulation

I 3/8 mainly for the smooth / flat surface you can get if installed right. I find using 3/4 foam works great for soundproof quality and a little r value. It is difficult to do on houses with out sufficient overhang at rakes and eves.
What about blown in insulation? I dont deal with it but reccomend a guy when asked. People are usuallly surprised at the low cost. Home centers usually let you use the machine free w/ an average house size purchase of insulation.
good luck

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Prodigy is a R-5.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Pro

Hey Doug, what is Prodigy?
We do have some insulation installers in our area that will fill the walls with cellulose or foam for about 1 thin dollar per sq ft. I think that is pretty good value for the customer!
Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Serve View Post
Hey Doug, what is Prodigy?
We do have some insulation installers in our area that will fill the walls with cellulose or foam for about 1 thin dollar per sq ft. I think that is pretty good value for the customer!
Dave
Alside makes the product, it has a good r value and a nice warranty. It's has built in insulation and sits flat. I think the web-site is www.prodigy.com or you can find it via Alside's site.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,396

Fan Fold Insulation
I used something similar years ago for the outside of concrete basement walls set in Henrys 108. I like the R-15 for metal buildings.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2007, 05:02 AM   #7

Trade: Siding - Windows - Doors
Rewards Points: 10

we use alot of 3/8 foil backed green board. have even had customers use it and put polar wall siding over it!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Pro

Thanks BAB,
Good idea. What is the R of that green board? I'd expect that would in combo with the Polar would make a difference.
Dave
Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #9

Trade: Vinyl Siding Installer
Rewards Points: 10

I am a big supporter of 3/8" fanfold. The R value is not terribly significant, but it does help. The major contribution, to me, is the rigid backing. Fanfold and wood lathe can work miracles on a curvy exterior.

I wouldn't bother with house wrap unless you're stripping the original siding off.

Advertisement