Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Cedar siding removal bid help

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  rwa 
#1 ·
I am bidding on the removal of 1000 sq's of cedar siding and trim on a 10 unit apartment complex. All siding is on the second level. First level is brick. Only 2 story apt buildings.

At first they wanted 4 guys at $12/ hr but after I showed up to talk to the apt. manager we thought we'd go with by the sq. They already have a company lined up to install so all we will be doing is removing the cedar siding and trim and installing tyvek.

The job is 1000 sq's... 10 separate buildings in one complex.
I was wondering if $50.00 a sq to remove and install tyvek (not buyinh any materials) is a good number. Or higher or lower?

Also when writing the bid, since this is going to be strictly labor what type of payment schedule would be best? After each building is removed and wrapped? This is what I was thinking.

Any suggestions from the experienced out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank YOU

#5 ·
The only caution I would look for is the fact you would be on a scissor lift or scaffold, and it may prove tricky to move as needed. Stretching the Tyvec will be a bear, so I would be thinking about how much equipment, how fast to set up, etc. With what little you have stated, I would guess 10 square a day x 4 guys....if they can work the height with no problem.

If you have to rent, a telehandler with a manwalk...maybe 16 feet long, would be the way I would hit it...that way you could pull the old siding and drop it in a dump truck under you, and 3 guys could work fast. Same way with the Tyvec install. Good luck.

#15 ·
Hask, I do siding on apartment complexes all the time. I'd say you are low at 50 per sq. Factors to consider; can you just go in and remove the siding at your pace or can you only work as fast as the installer? What about hidden damage? If window framing is rotted will you get a change order or will you have to wait on the installer to submit a change order and do the repairs? Work hours, most complexes want you to stop work at 5pm. That's when their staff leaves and the residents come home. Generally they will not let tou begin before 9am. I've often said, if I could make a living just doing demo, I would, not much to the punch list. Few complexes pay within 30 days. Should you want to contact me, if I happen to know the management company, I will give you info on how well they pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.