Cedar Shake Vinyl Siding

Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Improving Outdoor Living

Trade: Outdoor Living and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

Cedar Shake Vinyl Siding

I couldn't find a recent post about cedar shake vinyl siding. Obviously price is almost always a consideration, so I'd like to know what an estimated cost per square would be for various brands, but I'm really interested to know what brands to look at for the most natural and realistic cedar shake. I've used certainteed perfection 5" straight edge before in wicker color. I don't think they had come out with the mountain cedar color yet, and from the pictures that I have seen of that color, it looks very impressive. I also have some samples of the foundry shakes from about 4 or 5 years ago, and am not a big fan, but maybe they've improved.

Anyway, we're about a month away from siding a house we're building so any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Cedar Shake Vinyl Siding

the mountain cedar may be available in 7'' perfections,it was supposed to be in the whole shake line up but thats been postponed for some reason

mastics shake line is nice too and imo a little easier to install

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

locally its rarely done. i think the cost is the killer most people will simply go with fibre cement or something along those lines after they see the cost of the cedar shingle looking vinyl. we've done 2 homes like this in 9 years.. but weve done countless wood and fibre cement jobs with the odd normal vinyl here or there

Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,202

I've used Certainteed, Crane, Royal and Novik. IMO, all have their good and bad points. Availability would be first consideration, including accessories.

I would have no problem using any of the above again, but all in all, I like Royal from an installation standpoint.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,652

I used certainteed before... It was a nice product, But to me had a sort of "rubbermaid" look..... It was pricey too.... I think it was about $300 a square.

The neat thing was each section had a thermometer on the back that dictated the spacing...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharles View Post
I used certainteed before... It was a nice product, But to me had a sort of "rubbermaid" look..... It was pricey too.... I think it was about $300 a square.

The neat thing was each section had a thermometer on the back that dictated the spacing...
The thermometer is nice because it gives a good guideline as to where you set the spacing at the seams. You still need to store the panels out of direct sunlight until ready to install to get an accurate reading on the thermometer.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,570

Royal was my preferred product to install as well.
It all started with Nailite
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
locally its rarely done. i think the cost is the killer most people will simply go with fibre cement or something along those lines after they see the cost of the cedar shingle looking vinyl. we've done 2 homes like this in 9 years.. but weve done countless wood and fibre cement jobs with the odd normal vinyl here or there
fc shakes are not cheaper than vinyl around here in material or labor

uncoated wood is a little cheaper material wise but no way is the install going to be
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Pro

certainteed is the one everybody knows about,the only thing really significant you can say about the others is ''their a little cheaper''
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
certainteed is the one everybody knows about,the only thing really significant you can say about the others is ''their a little cheaper''
The one thing that stands out about the others is that the graining returns under the butts of the shakes. The last time I saw Certainteed, it did not.

When I did my house, the supplier had discontinued Novik and brought in Royal. I got old stock for a significant discount and have no regrets. The Novik is holding it's color well and I like to appearance of the product.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Pro

there are really 2 styles of shake panels..well 3 if you count the single row panels one has the nail slot in the middle at the end of the panel which is what most other panels besides ct have,as Tom said this was in the original Nailite perfection panel.CTs panel design is proprietary

i like Royals products,but wood grain on the butt is a non issue imo
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 278

certainteed cedar impressions are terrible in my opinion. there is so much waste when siding gable ends.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Pro

properly installed they all have the same waste factor,they all have a ''half/whole'' starting pattern except for the Foundry panel,which has very low waste

you know you can use the leftover peak panels in the rakes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

CT cedar impressions can't find any pics of the garage but we did the garage this way too.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,570

One of these reasons I like Royal was the continuous lock on both adjoining pieces and that temp guage. Some of these products had individual tabs on one side the was a pain in the ass work with. I think one of the cheesiest was Wolverine(I think) they had a single row bubble which was installer friendly but flimsy.
The proper way to terminate these materials to to uses a punch to make your own nail slot then cover with a snap on cornice trim to hide it. Of course not all the suppliers like to carry it and if they did it was white only.
On gable ends I used some kind of construction adhesive in the lock on small pieces. I learned not all adhesives work well long term.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
properly installed they all have the same waste factor,they all have a ''half/whole'' starting pattern except for the Foundry panel,which has very low waste

you know you can use the leftover peak panels in the rakes
foundry!! thats what we use. couldnt remember the name

yup they go up nicely and little waste
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
fc shakes are not cheaper than vinyl around here in material or labor

uncoated wood is a little cheaper material wise but no way is the install going to be
from what ive seen fc shakes arent available here.. never seen them in use or at any home show with harti having a booth. im not saying fc is cheaper.. saying the vinyl shakes are so much more than reg vinyl people here just upgrade to fc or cape cod siding
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
KemoSabe

Quote:
....... the butt is a non issue imo

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
One of these reasons I like Royal was the continuous lock on both adjoining pieces and that temp guage. Some of these products had individual tabs on one side the was a pain in the ass work with. I think one of the cheesiest was Wolverine(I think) they had a single row bubble which was installer friendly but flimsy.
The proper way to terminate these materials to to uses a punch to make your own nail slot then cover with a snap on cornice trim to hide it. Of course not all the suppliers like to carry it and if they did it was white only.
On gable ends I used some kind of construction adhesive in the lock on small pieces. I learned not all adhesives work well long term.
I predrill and face nail with a ss ringshank any piece that needs it,Ill tuck them in a groove so they are less noticeable,some may say no but ive found its the best for me

When installing over foam you may have trouble interlocking the ends

the small stand off lugs sink readily into the foam

laying in a straight edge behind the panel under the lug will make interlocking much easier
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar shake vinyl siding-0126021038a.jpg   Cedar shake vinyl siding-0126021038.jpg   Cedar shake vinyl siding-0126021041.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: GC, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,652

Quote:
I predrill and face nail with a ss ringshank any piece that needs it,Ill tuck them in a groove so they are less noticeable,some may say no but ive found its the best for me

When installing over foam you may have trouble interlocking the ends

the small stand off lugs sink readily into the foam

laying in a straight edge behind the panel under the lug will make interlocking much easier

Those were the exact vinyl shakes I have installed... They install nice, and I totally think they are a nice product, but IMO will never look as nice as the real thing.

I install lots of vinyl. I think it is a good siding choice. I would never put it on my own home. Rental home for sure. My house not a chance.

I am a purist, but that's why my weekends are always packed with chores around the home.

Advertisement