Blown In Cellulose Versus Blown In Fiberglass?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #1

Trade: remodelling

Blown In Cellulose Versus Blown In Fiberglass?

which is a better insulation?
thanks
stan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement

Re: Blown In Cellulose Versus Blown In Fiberglass?

Cellulose is better for your health......

Bob

Old 01-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I'm with bob for a few other reasons. Cellulose is recycled. Anybody that ever has to go into the attic will thank you for it. It is also better insulation.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #4

thanks guys,just want the best r value!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the builder
Cellulose is better for your health......

Bob

Please elaborate on this. I have heard nothing good about cellulose because of the fire treated material in it (Boric Acid) and god knows what else. I read somewhere is was 30% chemicals. I also read that alot of them news papers that are recycled are old and the ink they used in the olden days was not good for you... Again, I am just going by what I have read and would love to know why cellulose is "healthier"
Old 01-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling

Dont hold me to this, but I thought the fiberglass had better insulating properties per inch than cellulose?

Pro: as i see it, the cellulose is alot cheaper and does not cause the severe itching problem during installation and if you ever have to get back up there for running wires/exhaust fan ducts.

Cons: cellulose weighs more per sq ft than fiberglass and can exceed the live load on bottom chords/ceiling joist and strain the ceiling sheetrock from added weight to achieve proper R rating in northen climates.

Best way IMO is thick poly incased batts, but that's also very expensive to do an average home.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #7

iwas talking to a friend of mine who has a friend who had blown in cellulose.for some reason the guy had to remove some dry wall a few years after it was built and the cellulose had settled.roughly 5 to 6 inches below the top plate was exposed with no insulation.this has me worried!have you guys ever heard of this?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Pro

Heard of it?? LOL, see it quite often when doing remodels or when reframing openings for larger windows/doors. Alot of houses back in the day just had one hole drilled at the top of the wall cavity and the cellulose was blown in, in common thinking, the cavity should fill and pack from the bottom up. In reality it loosely fills the wall cavity and it does not take much for bridging to happen and stop the insulation from completely filling the void.

Modern practices based off learning from the past now have 2 holes being drilled, typically one half way up the wall cavity which fills/packs the bottom half of the wall, then another just below the top plate to fill the second half of the cavity. When homes are done in this fashion it helps try to ensure a complete wall packing that will not settle as much.

Just like concrete guys will tell you, the only thing they'll guarntee with a new slab/sidewalk, etc...is that it will get hard and it will crack. Kind of the same thing with blown in cellulose,-it will settle. Just a matter of how much. Typical attic insulation if blown in at 16" for the recommended R value at time of installation will easily compress over time, how much depends on alot of variable, but it will not be the same thickness 10yrs after it was first blown in.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukemdano
Please elaborate on this. I have heard nothing good about cellulose because of the fire treated material in it (Boric Acid) and god knows what else. I read somewhere is was 30% chemicals. I also read that alot of them news papers that are recycled are old and the ink they used in the olden days was not good for you... Again, I am just going by what I have read and would love to know why cellulose is "healthier"
Most insulation has some health concerns. You are correct about the cellulose having borax and recyled newspaper. Older inks are more toxic than newer ones. Also mold can grow on newspaper too, so you can have recycled mold. At this point in time cellulose is still considered "safer". Fiberglass insulation packages display cancer warning labels. These labels are required by the O.S.H.A. Last I remember they wanted to retract all past research and say that fiberglass is safer than they thought. So today cellulose is safer, tomorrow that might change.

I did have some respiratory problems from fiberglass and personally just don't like working with it. Reguardless proper handling and installation of all insulation, and it is safe.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #10

so which route would you guys go if you where building a new home?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Pro

If I could swing the money, spray on urethane all the way. It insulates and sound deadens like nothing you can imagine unless you've seen it first hand after the house is built-almost erie how quite the rooms are-even great rooms that had normal echo's prior to bringing in carpet and furniture are dead quite.

Otherwise, fiberglass batts for a more economical solution.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #12

im not familiar with spray on urethane?is that the stuff there doing now that looks like great stuff?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #13

dont they use that spray on urethane with fiberglass batts?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Pro

Once electrical/plumbing is signed off on, they come in with a big gun and hose and start spraying the wall and it expands like Great Stuff and then is cut flush with studs a short time later, it's a stand alone process and is all that's needed. I see lately they've been spraying the bottom of roof decks here too, but would hate to be the guy in 50 years to replace any sheeting if something happened
Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #15

interesting!what is the r rating with it?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
Pro

Just did a qucik goggle for spray on insulation, many links, but here's one for reference: http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent...bu_000575.hcsp
Old 01-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #17

i know there is one contractor for sure in my area who is spraying that stuff 2 inches thick,then putting fiberglass batts over it.
stan
Old 01-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Energy Auditor, Insulation, Contractor

The environmental advantages are generally from making the product. Using recycled paper is more earth friendly than making fiberglass batts. If I had extra money I would use foam insullation. You can equate a foam insullated house like a refridgerator. No air in or out. But if your trying to make money and build houses(which is why we do this right?), I highly recommend BIB cellulose. This is cellulose insullation that is blown in so tight it won't move. This is different that the older methods that you are seeing in 10 yr old walls. My insulation guy will give me a 90% blower door rating with BIB. Very tough to come close with fiberglass batts. Generally speaking fiberglass is least expensive. Then BIB cellulose (15% more), spray cellulose, then spray foam. Spray foam will be at least 3x the cost of fiberglass. Spray is getting greener also. They make it out of soy. Use BIB cellulose, throw in some energy star windows, and you will see at least 30% least energy used (other factors needed to get these savings) And you won't itch installing it!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxbuildsmall
The environmental advantages are generally from making the product. Using recycled paper is more earth friendly than making fiberglass batts. If I had extra money I would use foam insullation. You can equate a foam insullated house like a refridgerator. No air in or out. But if your trying to make money and build houses(which is why we do this right?), I highly recommend BIB cellulose. This is cellulose insullation that is blown in so tight it won't move. This is different that the older methods that you are seeing in 10 yr old walls. My insulation guy will give me a 90% blower door rating with BIB. Very tough to come close with fiberglass batts. Generally speaking fiberglass is least expensive. Then BIB cellulose (15% more), spray cellulose, then spray foam. Spray foam will be at least 3x the cost of fiberglass. Spray is getting greener also. They make it out of soy. Use BIB cellulose, throw in some energy star windows, and you will see at least 30% least energy used (other factors needed to get these savings) And you won't itch installing it!
how do they do this process of the bib thats blown in so tight that it wont move?so it will not settle?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf5150
how do they do this process of the bib thats blown in so tight that it wont move?so it will not settle?
A machine mixes the insulation with a latex binder and sprays the material into the wall with netting. Insul-Safe , Optima, and something else can't remember are what your lookin for. about R-4.2/inch......

Bob