Andersen Windows At Home Depot

Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Andersen Windows At Home Depot

I'm renovating a house for a customer. He's purchasing the windows and trying to decide between Simonton, Andersen 400 and Pella ProLine. He says the Andersens are considerably less at HD. I've never installed Simontons -- does anyone have any experience with them or with Pella ProLine? I usually order the Andersens from the building supply yard -- are the ones from HD the same? Any info appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Andersen Windows At Home Depot

i am not a big fan of Pella. Andersen are ok but FAR from a great window. Simonton(5500 or 9800) with super spacer and 1" IG is much better than Andersen and certainly better than Pella. by the way,both andersen and pella make vinyl windows and they are total garbage.
their are aome vinyl windows out their that absolutely blow away any wood window in terms of performance and even look good.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

all these manuf. have a entry "builders grade" and also a higher end line... can't go wrong with the high end line (depending on the installer)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

I agree with World LLC, all of their entry level products stink. Pella's designer/architectual series is acceptable, which Simontons are you considering. Are you trying to decide between wood Pellas and Andersons and vinyl Simontons?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Old Guy

Trade: Repair and Replace Windows and Doors
Rewards Points: 91

Any Andersen product from Home Depot is the exact same thing you can buy from a local lumberyard.

Andersen has 'Circle of Excellence' Dealers that purchase large amounts of Andersen products and are very competitive. I purchase from a local lumberyard that is a circle of excellence dealer.

The only Andersen product sold at Depot that smokes everyone else price is the Andersen Permashield patio door, so I buy them there.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 508
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggie3x View Post
I'm renovating a house for a customer. He's purchasing the windows and trying to decide between Simonton, Andersen 400 and Pella ProLine. He says the Andersens are considerably less at HD. I've never installed Simontons -- does anyone have any experience with them or with Pella ProLine? I usually order the Andersens from the building supply yard -- are the ones from HD the same? Any info appreciated.
No. Nothing at HD is the same as specialty shops. Not plumbing, paint, tools or even loose bails of OC insulation.

Pella is junk, all of it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
i am not a big fan of Pella. Andersen are ok but FAR from a great window. Simonton(5500 or 9800) with super spacer and 1" IG is much better than Andersen and certainly better than Pella. by the way,both andersen and pella make vinyl windows and they are total garbage.
their are aome vinyl windows out their that absolutely blow away any wood window in terms of performance and even look good.
Agreed.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,235

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
No. Nothing at HD is the same as specialty shops. Not plumbing, paint, tools or even loose bails of OC insulation.

Pella is junk, all of it IMO.

Agreed.
That is a bunch of baloney. I am sick of hearing this from people. Yes the Depot does sell some lesser models of tools, but they also sell the SAME models as other places and usually for less. If the model number is the same, its the same. as far as the windows, the Andersens are the same as the lumberyard offers. I have bought them there a few times, but the price is almost the same. I just like the ability to get them off the shelf and not have to wait. Pella mekes an Architectural Series that is very very good. Its also very expensive. Their doors in this series are very nice as well.
BamBamm5144 (02-09-2010), go dart (05-30-2012)
Old 02-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
That is a bunch of baloney. I am sick of hearing this from people. Yes the Depot does sell some lesser models of tools, but they also sell the SAME models as other places and usually for less. If the model number is the same, its the same. as far as the windows, the Andersens are the same as the lumberyard offers. I have bought them there a few times, but the price is almost the same. I just like the ability to get them off the shelf and not have to wait. Pella mekes an Architectural Series that is very very good. Its also very expensive. Their doors in this series are very nice as well.

Take a Koehler faucet bought at HD and a good plumbing supply house. Then get back to me

Have a look at the OC bails of loose fill insulation. They are in fact the very same product sold for about 1.00 per bail less. They're also less weight and cover less area.

Andersen windows at HD are made in a special plant which produces windows SOLEY for HD. The wood is greener and of less quality. It may be hard to see but it's a fact. The IGU is made by Cardinal but uses a tin plated SS spacer and not a true solid SS.

The list goes on
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy110 For This Useful Post:
nlgutters (02-09-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,146

Quote:
Take a Koehler faucet bought at HD and a good plumbing supply house. Then get back to me

Have a look at the OC bails of loose fill insulation. They are in fact the very same product sold for about 1.00 per bail less. They're also less weight and cover less area.

Andersen windows at HD are made in a special plant which produces windows SOLEY for HD. The wood is greener and of less quality. It may be hard to see but it's a fact. The IGU is made by Cardinal but uses a tin plated SS spacer and not a true solid SS.

The list goes on
Could you give me sources on that info Buddy?

I have heard this for years and still can't authenticate it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post

About Andersen or everything?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Pro

the tin plated spacer..lol had someone tell me a salesman claimed his spacer was TPS. YEAH RIGHT. AFTER LOOKING INTO IT THE SPACER WAS INTERCEPT WHICH IS ACTUALLY A TIN PLATED SPACER. I am all for stainless as in Cardinal's but lets be real,there is only one TPS and we all know who made that one....
by the way,you'd be shocked how many window company salesman actually think they have a stainless steel spacer.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
the tin plated spacer..lol had someone tell me a salesman claimed his spacer was TPS. YEAH RIGHT. AFTER LOOKING INTO IT THE SPACER WAS INTERCEPT WHICH IS ACTUALLY A TIN PLATED SPACER. I am all for stainless as in Cardinal's but lets be real,there is only one TPS and we all know who made that one....
by the way,you'd be shocked how many window company salesman actually think they have a stainless steel spacer.

I'm pretty sure Cardinal is the only oone who uses a true SS spacer
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Andersen 400 series is their better model, as opposed to the 200 which is their more economical model.

As mentioned above, buy them from a local lumberyard as opposed to Home Depot. Andersen will ship a "Van Load" to their Circle of Excellence Lumber Yards. They can compete with Home Depot this way. Basically they'll ship a trailer load of windows to the Lumber yard at a discount. Lumber Yard has to get a few houses worth of windows before they fill the quota for that load. So the lead time may be 2-6 weeks.

Go that route if you can plan in advance. The smaller yards need the business.

I've used Pella and Marvins, both are better windows in my opinion. Andersen is hard to beat on price. Pella can be a bear, trying to get replacement parts if there isn't a dealer nearby.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
Pro

PPG now offer "supercept",an all stainless.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Never buy anything from HD if you can get comparative somewhere else. Have you not noticed the way they push selling installs to the customer? I'd never buy a window from HD or Lowes and little of anything else. They are trying to take our business away so why would I support them?
buddy110 (02-05-2010), GRB (05-30-2012), HomeSealed (02-05-2010), nlgutters (02-09-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #16

Trade: Glass and windows
Rewards Points: 77

Quote:

The list goes on
Although I can't comment on plumbing supplies, insulation, or tools, I do know that Andersen does not have a special plant just for HD. The 400 series window that you buy at HD is exactly the same window that you would buy anywhere else. The same for the 200 window.

Same plants, same lines, same people, same wood, same hardware.

At the manufacturing and fabrication levels, there is nothing that tells the production folks if the unit is HD or any other distributor. There is no difference in production.

Cardinal does not make a tin plated SS spacer (actually the idea of plating stainless doesn't really make much sense).

Cardinal's SS spacer is used in all Andersen products except for the 100 series (they use a different glass system for those) and silverline, which is a mix (and really isn't Andersen anyway, simply a company that they acquired to get an entry in that market).

The original intercept was meant to be stainless, but tin plating it was something like six times cheaper. With the new energy code, changing back to stainless made for a more efficient and longer lasting system.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Although I can't comment on plumbing supplies, insulation, or tools, I do know that Andersen does not have a special plant just for HD. The 400 series window that you buy at HD is exactly the same window that you would buy anywhere else. The same for the 200 window.

Same plants, same lines, same people, same wood, same hardware.

At the manufacturing and fabrication levels, there is nothing that tells the production folks if the unit is HD or any other distributor. There is no difference in production.

Cardinal does not make a tin plated SS spacer (actually the idea of plating stainless doesn't really make much sense).

Cardinal's SS spacer is used in all Andersen products except for the 100 series (they use a different glass system for those) and silverline, which is a mix (and really isn't Andersen anyway, simply a company that they acquired to get an entry in that market).

The original intercept was meant to be stainless, but tin plating it was something like six times cheaper. With the new energy code, changing back to stainless made for a more efficient and longer lasting system.

My information is different with respect to the wood purchased. My understanding is the wood is "second" grade in these propiatary HD plants. Otherwise rejected for other Andersen plants. This came from a production manager at one of those HD plants.

As to the spacer I stand corrected.

Thanks Oberon
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
Pro

almost all intercept(PPG) being used is a Tin plated spacer. why? its much cheaper than all stainless. is it "as good" .No . stainless is less conductive and offers more long term durability.
Cardinal is a true stainless steel spacer and i am a fan of it.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

Quote:

I had heard that many times my self so i decided to do a little test.

We go through a lot of dewalt drills!

So i went and bought a new one at the local lumber yard and one at HD. I put them into service the same day doing the same job and the lumberyard one lasted 30% longer then the one from hd.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

There are Moen faucets that I have bought from a plumbing supply house and then I had to get a quick replacement, I knew Home Depot carried the same one and bought it there, compared them side by side. Plastic parts in the Home Depot box were metal parts in the one from the plumbing supply house.

It's called de-engineerning a product or de-spec'd products so that Home Depot can sell them a little cheaper then anybody else.

Look at the Denshield sold at Home Depot and the Denshield sold at Lowes. The stuff at Lowes is blue and has a different name but is the exact same thing as what is sold at Home Depot. In this case it's not de-engineered, but Lowes has GP make them a version of Denshield that looks different and with a different name to give them a product they can call exclusive. The big box stores do this sort of thing all the time, making deals with manufacturers directly.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 02-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
rpostss (02-28-2010)