Andersen Vinyl Window: Adjust Sash Tension?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,970

Andersen Vinyl Window: Adjust Sash Tension?

Had a call to adjust some loose double-hung tilt-in sashes in a 16 year old townhouse. A couple of them would literally fall out of the frame in a strong wind. I found that with typical mass-production efficiency, there were exactly 4 nails in the mounting flanges, one at each corner.

Ennyhoo, after getting everything tightened up and mounted properly, I have one sash that won't quite stay up the whole way when you open it. Can the tension be adjusted on those twisty-spiral tensioners?

Truth be told, the windows should just be replaced, but they don't have the budget for that right now.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Andersen Vinyl Window: Adjust Sash Tension?

Does it look like a tube with a spiral thing coming out of it than it can be adjusted. there is a special tool that you can get from most dealers that hooks the bottom where it connects into the jamb clip and cam hook it on pull it out and tighten it up by turning clockwise pretty easy really just remember to tighten both sides and don't overtighten just enough spring force to hold window stationary

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
solar guy

Here are some useful sites

http://www.windowrepairsystems.com/D....aspx?tabid=66

http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/resources/howto/SWD009.pdf

You can find the tool here if all else fails
http://www.swisco.com/informative/pd...nce-Adjustment

Hope this helps!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by naptown CR View Post
Does it look like a tube with a spiral thing coming out of it than it can be adjusted.
That's the one. I didn't have time to play with it, but suspected it would work like that. I'll give it a shot when I'm back to do some other work.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 530

doubt VERY much those are andersens. they did not make a vinyl wnd 16 yrs ago. now if its a wood sash with a poly finish maybe BUT those wnds (dc series) were difficult to tilt without a spreader bar so i can hardly imagine the jams have bowed enough to let the sashes fall thru the liners. if the jams are truely that bowed pull the casings, shim and recase. no interior casing? they are not andersen wnds. hollow vinyl sash? they are not andersens, no andersen logo sandblasted in bottom corner of glazing? they are not andersens. just reshim the jambs, there is no adjustment for your problem
Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
solar guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go dart View Post
doubt VERY much those are andersens. they did not make a vinyl wnd 16 yrs ago. now if its a wood sash with a poly finish maybe BUT those wnds (dc series) were difficult to tilt without a spreader bar so i can hardly imagine the jams have bowed enough to let the sashes fall thru the liners. if the jams are truely that bowed pull the casings, shim and recase. no interior casing? they are not andersen wnds. hollow vinyl sash? they are not andersens, no andersen logo sandblasted in bottom corner of glazing? they are not andersens. just reshim the jambs, there is no adjustment for your problem
I agree that they are probably NOT Andersen windows probably a vinyl from one mfr or another. To the best of my knowledge Andersen did not produce a Vinyl window till they Bought silverline/American Craftsman a few years ago.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Guys, you're probably right. I just took the HO's word for it (had no real reason to check). These are all vinyl with no interior casing, and more cheaply made than I would expect from Andersen.

Nevertheless, Naptown nailed it for me. I expect to be replacing these in a year or two; this'll get 'em by until then.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
solar guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Guys, you're probably right. I just took the HO's word for it (had no real reason to check). These are all vinyl with no interior casing, and more cheaply made than I would expect from Andersen.
Sounds Like you have been working in Maryland Home of the drywall return on a vinyl window in even 8-900k houses.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Sounds Like you have been working in Maryland Home of the drywall return on a vinyl window in even 8-900k houses.
Not quite that bad in individual homes around here, but I shudder every time I get called to a townhouse complex, no matter what size or "class." <sigh>
Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #10

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 75

anderson bought silverline,a LOW END vinyl window company;hence,all anderson vinyl windows are complete and utter garbage. the HO probably has silverline and is now saying anderson.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced_energy View Post
anderson bought silverline,a LOW END vinyl window company;hence,all anderson vinyl windows are complete and utter garbage. the HO probably has silverline and is now saying anderson.
no on your answer. please know something about the companys you're talking about, like maybe even how to spell the name for a start
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
solar guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced_energy View Post
IMHO ALL vinyl windows are low end. HOWEVER they have their place. I personally have not seen much differance between a low end vinyl window and a high end (Rehau for example) The principles to how they are built are the same welded vinyl frames glass in varying grades and efficiencies etc. The hardware on most windows is made by Truth so very little difference there. The frames and sash materials are all extruded vinyl perhaps varying wall thicknesses and number of chambers. On the upside they are all about equally durable. low maintenence and affordable. Not everyone is on the same economic level. Oh and its Andersen
Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Andersen does not use a spiral balance. They use a block and tackle or a coil balance that fits near the head. And if its a Narroline and you put a four penny brad through the head casing within 3 inches of the mitre. You just punctured and locked the balance on that side.

If its another manufacture and it IS spiral balance. they are very easy to adjust with a five dollar tool made just for that purpose that I last used two weeks ago on three windows i had to convert from block and tackle to spiral balance.

these guys want $15 but my supplier gave me mine for five.
http://www.cotterglass.com/shop/products.php?cat=17

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/article...articles_id=45
Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by go dart View Post
no on your answer. please know something about the companys you're talking about, like maybe even how to spell the name for a start

There was at one time an "Anderson" out of Lakewood New Jersey that used to do a knock off of Andersen windows. Even using a logo similar to Andersen's. But that was over 30 years ago. I recall Andersen used to put out an ad in trade magazines once a year disclaiming any connection with the "Anderson" of Lakewood NJ. They warned customers to look for the EN in the Andersen name.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
IMHO ALL vinyl windows are low end. HOWEVER they have their place. I personally have not seen much differance between a low end vinyl window and a high end (Rehau for example) The principles to how they are built are the same welded vinyl frames glass in varying grades and efficiencies etc. The hardware on most windows is made by Truth so very little difference there. The frames and sash materials are all extruded vinyl perhaps varying wall thicknesses and number of chambers. On the upside they are all about equally durable. low maintenence and affordable. Not everyone is on the same economic level. Oh and its Andersen

I think most window guys would say that there are alot of differences in vinyl windows. At least in the replacement market.

There are differences in the thickness and shape of the extrusions..some are heavy and practically hold themselves square, others are very thin making the welded corners delicate and the sides flexible and in need of alot of shimming. The way the sashes seal to the extrusions is alot better in some windows than others. Some have interior or exterior accessory grooves that can make trim work easier. The general fit /finish and ease of operation can vary alot from company to company.

Some windows have better looking and heavier duty hardware/balances/pivot shoes than others. Standard glass thickness and spacer type can be different from company to company.

Another big difference in vinyl windows is the level of quality control/expectations from the factory...buy and install a hundred replacement windows from one of the large new construction manufacturers that also makes a supposedly high end replacement window.

Then go buy a hundred windows from any of the older companies that have always specialized in replacement windows. You will be amazed at the difference.