Aluminum Fascia

Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 10

Aluminum Fascia

I'm contracting a large custom home in Ontario, Canada.
I had aluminum soffit and fascia's installed by a contractor during the colder weather in November. Now I'm noticing, during the warmer days, especially the sides that are facing the sun, that the fascia aluminum is starting to get waves in it, as it heats up and then returns to normal when the temperatures drop. The eavestroughs have not been installed yet. Is there any way to prevent or correct this problem? Did the aluminum installer do something wrong or is this a natural occurring problem due to the fact of contraction and expansion? Will the placement of the eves, stop this ? (There are areas, on peaked gables, that will not have eaves, where this waving, is quite noticeable)
Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,938

Re: Aluminum Fascia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eglanc View Post
I had aluminum soffit and fascia's installed by a contractor during the colder weather in November.
I assume that you mean you had them wrapped with aluminum sheet metal?

You are correct; in warmer weather, the metal will expand significantly. I know of no way to correct for that problem with metal that was hung in the cold--I try to schedule projects so that any of that work gets done in warm weather.

There are ways of fastening it so that the rippling effect is minimized, but by your description the damage is done. The only way to really make it right would be to remove and re-do it.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
home-work

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

You can try rehanging, using a "trim nail slot punch" and don't hammer the nails in too tight, stop just before the nail touches the metal.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 99

Unfortunatly, aluminum is a poor fascia cover, Even under the best field conditions,you may have oil-canning. If I waited till warm weather for these jobs in Minnesota I'd starve to death.So I always try to choose steel fascia, but cant always due to the fact they dont offer nearly as many color options. Gutters are going to help on eave areas, but afraid your'e out of luck on rakes.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exterior Finishing
Rewards Points: 150

If you nail the face then there is no remedy for buckling.

On rakes I put a little painted screw through the underside of the fascia making sure the fascia isn't as tight as it can go into the gable trim and also making sure not to screw very tight. We use 5" gutters here so there is no need for aluminum fascia around the perimeter.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

'Homework' is correct, you can rehang the facia but need to use a slot cutter so the facia can move. There is another method - the facia is screwed below with small aluminum screws, and at the top it is insterted into a pressure fit trim. This allows the facia to expand and contract.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry

I've never had trouble with fascia in hot or cold weather doing jobs in Minnesota or the NE. The key is to allow for expansion and never nail into the face of the fascia. I have always used three nails to hold a 10' piece up. Predrill the aluminum to give a little room for movement. Unless you're in a hurrican zone, it won't blow off, which is what everyone thinks will happen if you don't put a thousand nails into it.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,490

slot punch?screws?hmm learn something new here all the time
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,148

One option would be to cover it with Azek.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Last edited by loneframer; 08-15-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
One option would be to cover it with Azek.
you and your azek i swear your a rep. and what if you want more than white? thats all i ever see is white.

But as far as the aluminum nail it loose and don't over load it and stay away from the face
Old 04-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,490

but he does it so niiice!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
but he does it so niiice!
indeed he does
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by galla35 View Post
you and your azek i swear your a rep. and what if you want more than white? thats all i ever see is white.

But as far as the aluminum nail it loose and don't over load it and stay away from the face
Azek is very paintable, scuff lightly, prime and paint with acrylic latex. It doesn't absorb water so the paint holds up well.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Last edited by loneframer; 08-15-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
There is another method - the facia is screwed below with small aluminum screws, and at the top it is insterted into a pressure fit trim.
That's what I just said! Jeez if you're from Ontario you think everything you do is original!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojigga View Post
That's what I just said! Jeez if you're from Ontario you think everything you do is original!
Holey! didn't mean to step on your toe, was making the point about the pressure trim. Is it raining in BC ?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #16

Trade: General Construction-Plumbing-Heating-Roofing etc.
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
I had aluminum soffit and fascia's installed by a contractor during the colder weather in November. Now I'm noticing, during the warmer days, especially the sides that are facing the sun, that the fascia aluminum is starting to get waves in it, as it heats up and then returns to normal when the temperatures drop. The eavestroughs have not been installed yet. Is there any way to prevent or correct this problem? Did the aluminum installer do something wrong or is this a natural occurring problem due to the fact of contraction and expansion? Will the placement of the eves, stop this ? (There are areas, on peaked gables, that will not have eaves, where this waving, is quite noticeable)
Thanks
We use pvc coated coil and it seems to help with the ripples. Three nails per 10 ft is enough most of the time but on high wind areas we will put a nail in the shadow line just below the drip edge.

We also have a brake buddy from Tapco that will put a groove in the face of the coil about 1 or so wide and there is a roller that will duplicate exterior door brickmold. Good Luck
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
Holey! didn't mean to step on your toe, was making the point about the pressure trim. Is it raining in BC ?
No worries mate, just having a go! A little rain, though I'm inland so it's never that bad. Heard its already summer in Ontario.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #18

Trade: Union Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Thanks
yes the installer did something wrong you are suppose to install a fascia splice in between 2 pieces and leave a 1/4" gap
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycer88 View Post
yes the installer did something wrong you are suppose to install a fascia splice in between 2 pieces and leave a 1/4" gap
I've never used a "fascia splice". Is this something you fabricate yourself or purchase? Wonder how the finished look might appear, any pic's?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,565

I always use screws through the bottom of the fascia and tuck it into the roof edge. Even when I put it on in the middle of winter, it does not get wavy. 3 screws per length is plenty around here, (35 km/hr wind is a hurricane to me )

Dont mind the corner that should have been mitered.