Alside Windows Xcaliber Model

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Alside Windows Xcaliber Model

Thinking of having these installed at my house they seem good to me, but I'm no pro, I want real quality windows and these seem to be very popular in this area, any feedback from you pros would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Dave

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Gonna die a glass guy

Trade: Skylights and Glazing
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Alside Windows Xcaliber Model

Dave, what area are you in ? Xcalibur is a good window, usually a little over priced and typically dealt through shcmucks ( I said Typically).

My Opinion as a Pro, as a Homeowner and as an Installer says buy Milgard, if they are in your area. . Really nothing better and again I said it is my Opinion.

And I am not in anyway connected to the brand. It is just the best one for warranty, overall product quality, choices, and insulation value...I mean value in a couple ways. they have good numbers and the cost value for the numbers you get

The Following User Says Thank You to ccappaul For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Dave.... I've been selling windows for 25 years. The excaliber is Alside's 3rd best window. It's a mid-grade window at best (IMHO). Check to see if you can get Gorell in your area. Their 5300 series Double hung is the best vinyl window I've ever sold. I've never had a single call back except for a few sashes that had seal failure in the 12 ir so years I've sold them. Nothing at all structural or mechanical.

Speaking of the warranty.... On most vinyl windows, you will get a "Lifetime" warranty. What most people don't understand is the term "Lifetime" is governed by the state in which you live. In Indiana, "Lifetime" in a warranty is SEVEN years. In Illinois, it's TEN years. So, in essence, if there is some huge problems with the windows in here in Indiana in year 8, the manufacturer can walk away and the buyer has absolutely no recourse. I'm not saying they will, but by law, they can. That's why even the cheapest piece of trash vinyl window comes with a lifetime warranty.

With Gorell, it's FIFTY years on the window, FIFTY years on seal failure and FIFTY years on accidental glass breakage. That by FAR supercedes any "Lifetime" warranty you might get elsewhere.

Complete Window and Door

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 11-17-2011 at 05:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

What is it about the Alside Excalibur that you like? Is it the flimsy, cheap design? Is it the rough welds? Is it the high air leakage rate?
Or is it just the cheap price?
Alside do not make a quality window and Excalibur is their low end! I'm a window guy. The Alside Sheffield and ultramxx are equally as bad for a few reasons. First, they both utilize a snap in sloped sill or a pocket sill. Both very poor designs because water drains through the frame opposed to down the sill which is what a truly welded sloped sill does.
Also, they are both bulky and you lose alot of glass. I would
stay away from Excalibur and don't try to convince yourself they are good just because you think you are getting a deal. Look at gorell, Okna, sunrise, or soft lite if you want a high
quality vinyl window.
If you still insist on getting low quality then go with Alside, silver line, MI Windows , or Pella vinyl.

Last edited by welterweight; 11-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to welterweight For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Trade: Replacement Windows
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
The Alside Sheffield and ultramxx are equally as bad for a few reasons. First, they both utilize a snap in sloped sill or a pocket sill. Both very poor designs because water drains through the frame opposed to down the sill which is what a truly welded sloped sill does.
Also, they are both bulky and you lose alot of glass. I
The Following User Says Thank You to WindowBiz For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Holy cow guys!... Run from that Excalibur! +1000 to welterweights comments. For reference, the Excalibur is window world's "$189" window. That means it MUST be good, right?
Premium vinyl: Okna, Sunrise, Gorell, Softlite, Polaris.... midgrade : Great Lakes, Milgard (although they just closed a plant and no longer supply to the midwest and east coast which is a little scary).
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Pro

Guys I appreciate the education thanks so much for taking the time, im not in anyway looking for the cheapest, looking for quality.I will look into these other windows and see if they are in my area.

how about champion windows, they looked the same as alside??

Last edited by Dave Mac; 11-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Student

Champion's window itself is better than the excaliber, but it will probably be a worse value dollar wise. Its bulky and kind of an old design, lots of nicer options out there.

I tried to sub for Champion several times when work was slow to keep my guys busy, nicest people in the world but each time I only did one job and quit, always had trouble with the way the windows were measured and I just didn't like how they wanted things done.

There is not necessarily any correlation between price and value, national companies like Champion and Sears spend a lot more time perfecting their sales pitch than anything else, and on the back end they tend to take shortcuts and keep installs as simple as possible, they have a one size fits all type of approach because they do a lot of volume and may have trouble with installers at times.

I'll give you an example, the Champion branch I subbed for sent out thin plastic L shaped trim on every job to use where the interior of the window met the jamb. We were supposed to caulk the interior edge of the window, and basically stick the L to it and push it tight to the jamb, then caulk it to the jamb.

Whether we were replacing wood windows with existing trim stops, or metal windows, didn't matter the window would be ordered extra small so we could easily foam it and then use the trim piece. This has the nice side effect of potentially making the exterior trim wrap look funny, depending on exactly how small they order the window in which direction.

Not terrible per se, just not really giving the customer what he is paying for.

Another thing to watch when hiring your windows done, in my experience, is most larger regional or national companies will not address the need for a drip cap. They will just caulk along the top where the trim meets your wall.

We already bend a flashing rule here or there when installing "replacement" windows, but you have to make sure water is not being held out of the home just by a bead of caulk, especially above the window where there may be heavy water flow. Not a huge deal if your existing windows have brick mold trim with drip cap already installed, like many old wooden units, but if you have finned windows with 1x trim/j channel etc, or live in one of the real old homes that just lack drip caps, this can be a huge problem.

To be fair I worked for Home Depot a lot, partly because they did address this and pay me extra to add drip caps or cut back siding and retrim, whatever was needed to make sure the window woudn't leak. I am sure they have their share of problems too, but I found them to be open to suggestions and willing to pay more for a better job.

Sorry about the long post, got a whole week off for Thanksgiving and I'm bored already

Try getting a few estimates from decent sized local guys, and post details here, obviously we love to critique

Edited to add- Don't get too hung up on the window brand, the installation is at least equally important and there are many good quality windows out there. What do salesmen say "people buy the sizzle not the steak". Worry more about not getting a bad window than about getting the best window.

Last edited by W-Tinc; 11-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W-Tinc For This Useful Post:
ccappaul (11-20-2011), Dave Mac (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Pro

Well so far we got three estimates, two of the guys were pushing Excalibur windows, and the other was selling champion, they basically looked the same, and really I dint know what to look for.

the two pushing caliber were good old boys (like myself), gave us the run down and left the estimate, no pressure, and I liked one of them the best so far as he actually installs them himself.

The champion guy was a well oiled salesmen, extremely nice but was a one time closer and kept asking for the sale big turn off, and we we finally sat down to go over the estimate it was so inflated to shock you (i think) then he offered so many discounts for this and that, and how his time was worth money and he could give more of a discount if we signed today bla bla, big turn off.

So thats wear we are at at this moment, I'm gonna call back the one guys and see if he can get the gorilla window, and go from their.

To tell you the truth I'm starting to think I can do it my self, I replace brick molds facial boards, can rip off the side of a house and replace it. I sell all these services with my painting company. I have always said leave it to the professionals.

I really appreciate everyone feedback

One other thing that has struck me odd about this whole process, is the lack of info theses guys have left with me, except champion. when I do a painting estimate I leave a detailed scope of work and what is expected of the HO and what we will be doing, I also leave them a brochure on the paint, I leave references, insurance, warranty. helpful question when hiring a contractor
Champion left us a catalog and a estimate form, one guy left us his card with a estimate on the back, and the other guy who I liked best left us just a estimate,nice company form.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Pro

Let me know what you need on the Gorell (not Gorilla LOL) Dave and I'll log into the dealer side of their website and download any literature you might want. In fact, go ahead and shoot me your email and I'll send you some stuff this evening or tomorrow morning.

They have extremely nice, informative literature. Where are you at? We'll come and install your windows for you....

Complete Window and Door
Dave Mac (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Pro

charlotte, nc, thaks john you have mail

Last edited by Dave Mac; 11-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
charlotte, nc, thaks john you have mail
Cool.... I sent you five of the brocheures I use a lot. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything else. They've got tons more information available. I'll also speak to my rep on Monday and find out who the local dealer is for Charlotte. Maybe I can help get you some special pricing.

Complete Window and Door
Dave Mac (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post

To tell you the truth I'm starting to think I can do it my self, I replace brick molds facial boards, can rip off the side of a house and replace it. I sell all these services with my painting company. I have always said leave it to the professionals.

If you want to give us some info on your house and the existing windows probably plenty of people here can give you an idea of how difficult swapping them out would be, and some ideas on the best way to do it.

Could steer you in the right direction for places to buy windows too. A handy person that already does some carpentry work could save a lot of cash doing it themselves.

You might also want to do a little forum searching, seems like I have seen several threads in the past regarding places to buy good windows and tips on installing them for tradesmen who aren't window guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to W-Tinc For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #14

Trade: Professional Exterior Remodelers
Rewards Points: 25

Ask the good old boy for a ultramaxx quote.

Window worlds $189 window is not Excalibur. That would be a huge upgrade for them.

Excalibur is also their 4 best window. FYI

Last edited by Triple Pane; 11-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple Pane For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-19-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
windowsonwashington.net

Trade: Exterior Construction
Rewards Points: 156

Don't much care for anything that AMI makes in its window division although the 800 series isn't bad.

If you are buying through a supply house, you will be far better suited with Simonton or Gorell.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #16

I use the 9000 series.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
windowsonwashington.net

9000 is the Preservation...correct?

That is a Sheffield that is tweak up a bit.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #18

It more of a 8000. Just with cove internal mitered glazing. Foam fill, fiberglass meeting rails. Super spacer Captured sill and access to krypton for cheap. Yes preservation
Old 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
windowsonwashington.net

I forgot about that. They have changed it up a bit.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #20

Looks like you have a lot of window companies that you use! I use all exclusive brands so I not a me too guy!!!