Alside Series 270 Low-e Match?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 2,204

Alside Series 270 Low-e Match?

I have a stupid question considering I'm a glazier.

For the other glaziers out there. What low-E do you use to match Alside series 270 windows from around 6-7 years ago? PPG Solarban 60, PPG 500?

I use to have a chart made up and can't find it. IIRC, I have always used 500, but I may have used Solarban 60 in the past for the older Alpines. I haven't had to deal with many newer Alside windows as they are usually covered under warranty.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

Trade: Glass and windows
Rewards Points: 77

Re: Alside Series 270 Low-e Match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
I have a stupid question considering I'm a glazier.

For the other glaziers out there. What low-E do you use to match Alside series 270 windows from around 6-7 years ago? PPG Solarban 60, PPG 500?

I use to have a chart made up and can't find it. IIRC, I have always used 500, but I may have used Solarban 60 in the past for the older Alpines. I haven't had to deal with many newer Alside windows as they are usually covered under warranty.
I am making an assumption that Alside 270 series refers to Cardinal's LoEČ-270 coating.

Both Cardinal 270 and Solarban 60 are dual-silver softcoats while Sungate 500 is a hardcoat.

270 and 60 should have a reasonably similar appearance while sungate 500 won't be similar in appearance to either of them.

I am also assuming that you are changing out an IG rather than just planning on using a single pane of glass.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 2,204

Re: Alside Series 270 Low-e Match?

Yep. New IGU. I called Alside which is always an adventure. They said Solarban 60 was the correct one. This of course took 15 minutes and I had to read between the lines considering it threw the warranty department into a tizzy since they didn't understand what I meant by matching the low-e tint color.

The favored response I usually get is we don't warranty anything before 2001. These were newer and it still was a struggle.

Does anybody remember when you could get a guy, or gal, on the phone that has worked at a place long enough to remember the info you need. It seems that everyone I talk to now is new, or just doesn't have any experience.