6' Anderson Sliding Doors In Brick Wall

Old 01-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #1

Trade: Prof. Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

6' Anderson Sliding Doors In Brick Wall

I need to give a price quote to put in a set of thease doors. any one know what the pricing should be. I have put meny of them in, but in wood walls but never in brick walls

Keith

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #2

Trade: Home Improvments-exterior

Re: 6' Anderson Sliding Doors In Brick Wall

is the r.o. brick or is it framed out with 2x4... what is the exterior consists or siding or brick, or block??

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #3

Trade: Prof. Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_plant_art
is the r.o. brick or is it framed out with 2x4... what is the exterior consists or siding or brick, or block??
The exterior is all brick with a window in the cender where the new door will be going over plywood I belive. The inside is wire and plaster> I do belive it is all 2X4.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #4

Trade: Home Improvments-exterior

well if you have studs on the inside the just install as normally would you will need to get an exterior extension jamb to go with the door. look on the andersen website. and you should be able to find the r.o. size that you will need for the specific door that you are getting, if not let me know and i can get it for you. also are you getting the door or is the client? have you installed one of these doors (specifically an andersen) before?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

What about a header to carry the lost brick? What and how large should it be?
I will never leave you hanging!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

Yeah it sounds like there is a window in the center of the rough opening which doesn't help the least bit. To me sounds like the worst possible senerio for installing... cut 1 side of plaster 1 1/2" shy of a stud and slap on a shoulder, hope the other end works out smooth. Cutting out the brick. Slipping header up in the plastered wall sounds like a treat. Probably going to have some plastering to do, maybe not though. If using engineered product header doesn't have to be as tall...l

Bob
Old 01-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

I had a neighbor who did that just a little bit ago. The guys he hired were peeing me off because they took so long to do the job. I would look out my front window and think thats all they got done. You can see into his back yard out my front window. His house is all brick and they had like one small window there and they had to cut out the brick. Well to make a long story short I was home for two days and they didn't get much accomplished. But when i got back home it was done. But then it pee me off because they didn't have a step there to get down on the new cement patio they pored. That step didn't get put in for like a month. Its just a two step wood running the whole length on the new patio door. But i was home when they put that in it took them the whole day. I was thinking you got to be kidding you guys would have knock that out by LUNCH.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 536

sounds like its going in a dining rm
relocate a plug
relocate a heat vent
header change
andersen permashield series w/ standard hwd and screen(don't forget the aux lock nice feature)
shoot him 5400.00 plus the cost of toothing in the brick by others. only an experenced brick man should do this as its critical to the overall look of the product. upcharge accordingly if its frenchwood series. add for paint or stain. oh if hes supplying the door/hwd deduct 1700.00