T&G Vaulted Hip Ceiling

Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 640

T&G Vaulted Hip Ceiling

Just wrapped this up today. First time doing a vaulted hip ceiling with T&G. What a pain in the nuggets. It came out alright though.
Attached Thumbnails
T&G vaulted hip ceiling-image-3199736307.jpg   T&G vaulted hip ceiling-image-1937168328.jpg   T&G vaulted hip ceiling-image-843109510.jpg  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JesseCocozza For This Useful Post:
basswood (07-07-2012), darr1 (07-03-2012), Dirtywhiteboy (07-04-2012), JASA1021 (09-15-2012), pinwheel (07-07-2012), SAW.co (07-03-2012), Spaint90 (07-11-2012), TLHWindows (07-19-2012), Tom Struble (07-07-2012), Trim40 (07-14-2012), world llc (07-03-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,166

Re: T&G Vaulted Hip Ceiling

Looks better than alright. The miters look like they line up well. The framing must have been nice and square and all in plane or else things could have gotten crazy.

Is that a plywood skin you nailed into?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
JesseCocozza (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
Looks better than alright. The miters look like they line up well. The framing must have been nice and square and all in plane or else things could have gotten crazy.

Is that a plywood skin you nailed into?
Yeah, I set the beams and trusses. You know how useless those hip jacks are as far as keeping them on layout. I ended up sheathing the bottom side because the hips were a little twisted, and I needed a flat plane with a straight hip line to run to. I was doing a lot of praying as well! :-) its a miracle that when I got to the top my last two pieces meeting in the ridge were within a light 1/8th in width. I also used copious amounts of PL poly adhesive to minimize movement.

Last edited by JesseCocozza; 07-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseCocozza For This Useful Post:
Tom M (07-04-2012), Tom Struble (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
designer + carpenter

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 510

Looks great! This the cabana project?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINZAN STUDIO
Looks great! This the cabana project?
Thank you sir, and yes, it is.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

SWEET
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

very nice!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 916

jesse looks great!, that vaulted on a lanai never seen that in sarasota, thats not a neal or morison house, i'm on sunset point doing a condo then on to lbk club and lido for a hotel 10 units
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Remodeler

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

She's a Beaut!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to TAHomeRepairs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,324

Very clean looking...

work like that will keep you in the chips...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
jesse looks great!, that vaulted on a lanai never seen that in sarasota, thats not a neal or morison house, i'm on sunset point doing a condo then on to lbk club and lido for a hotel 10 units
Yeah, I've ran 10,000's of feet of this cypress T&G but never on a vaulted hip. It was a head scratcher for sure.

Not familiar with Neal or Morrison. Builders I assume?

Sounds like your staying pretty busy, remodels on LBK and Lido?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Jesse you fancy sponsoring a british carpenter?? Would love to work on some of your jobs.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,334

never seen a hip ceiling like that.

seen a lot of bead board ceilings- heck, I have one myself under a hip roofed sunroom-but the ceiling is regretably flat.
stephen
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sout101
Jesse you fancy sponsoring a british carpenter?? Would love to work on some of your jobs.
Man, if these jobs weren't so few and far between I'd love to. I don't bother posting pics of all the nasty demo and boring jobs In between.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #15

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCocozza

Man, if these jobs weren't so few and far between I'd love to. I don't bother posting pics of all the nasty demo and boring jobs In between.
Keep doing wirk like this and im sure they wont be so few and far between, looks sweet.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Artisan Carpentry

Trade: trim carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,000

Nice to see that without a dumb inside corner moldings to cover sloppy joints.

I've done an octagonal vault like that. It is like running a dozen courses of crown molding with miters instead of copes and the measurements on each course are different. Those compound miters are fun.

Even with good scaffolding and a helper, it is a bunch of climbing up and down...

I prefer running each course all the way around, rather than running each face. I run a few courses, then check the distance to the ridge all the way around so I can adjust the way the stock lays in as I go. It also means you cut the long stock first and the cut offs can be used on the shorter courses toward the top.

Good work.

Last edited by basswood; 07-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswood
Nice to see that without a dumb inside corner moldings to cover sloppy joints.

I've done an octagonal vault like that. It is like running a dozen courses of crown molding with miters instead of copes and the measurements on each course are different. Those compound miters are fun.

Even with good scaffolding and a helper, it is a bunch of climbing up and down...

I prefer running each course all the way around, rather than running each face. I run a few courses, then check the distance to the ridge all the way around so I can adjust the way the stock lays in as I go. It also means you cut the long stock first and the cut offs can be used on the shorter courses toward the top.

Good work.
Thanks. Yeah, lots of ups and downs is right! I contemplated going 1 course at a time all the way around. I ended up doing the two short sides first and when they both ended up with the apex of the "triangles" right at the ridge I knew I had my hip lines good to go. Then I ended up piecing two ends into my opposing miters and then running a middle piece that had two beveled lap joints. It was the only way I could get an accurate measurement.

I'd love to see pics of the octagonal one that you did!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sout101

Keep doing wirk like this and im sure they wont be so few and far between, looks sweet.
Thanks. I feel blessed to work on some of the projects that come my way. It's few and far between because not everyone appreciates or sees the value in this type of work. Too many would rather use beadboard or trim pieces to cover the slop, like basswood mentioned, to save a buck and feel like they got a "similar" look.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Artisan Carpentry

Trade: trim carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,000

Hi Jesse,

There is usually a method to our madness. With your courses using varied length stock and more than one piece per long side it sounds like your method worked fine. Always interesting to discuss details though.

On the octagon, it just seems like you need good measurements... really what you need is one course fitting good and rather than measuring the next course, you make the bottom edge of the next course as long as the top edge of the course before... direct transfer marking (only measuring to refit).

I lock in several courses on the workbench, test fit, and then hold back the top course for setting up the cuts on the next few courses... repeat.

On this vault (done long ago... remember when the pastel pallet was all the rage). ...each piece ran from corner to corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg octagonvaultceiling.jpg (56.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswood
Hi Jesse,

There is usually a method to our madness. With your courses using varied length stock and more than one piece per long side it sounds like your method worked fine. Always interesting to discuss details though.

On the octagon, it just seems like you need good measurements... really what you need is one course fitting good and rather than measuring the next course, you make the bottom edge of the next course as long as the top edge of the course before... direct transfer marking (only measuring to refit).

I lock in several courses on the workbench, test fit, and then hold back the top course for setting up the cuts on the next few courses... repeat.

On this vault (done long ago... remember when the pastel pallet was all the rage). ...each piece ran from corner to corner.
Very nice! The method you listed is exactly what I did on my short sides. The reason I couldn't do it on the long sides is because they were 22' on the longest course. Also the miter was 43.5 degrees with a 14 degree bevel. So I had to piece the long sides because of the long length. Also, now that I think back. Because of the miter and bevel I wasnt able to fit the 4th piece in without the long points of the miter and bevel interfering with the two adjacent pieces that were installed. I tried back beveling but in order to take enough material out for it to slide in it removed some of the chamfer on the v groove and would create gaps in the hip line.