Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Roof design - poor planning

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hdavis 
#1 ·
I am working in this older development and the home I am working on has some serious quality issues. Not much an average homeowner would see....until you start running tile and hardwood flooring like we are doing.

But another neighbors home just made me shake my head. I stopped and took a picture of this poorly fixed roof design flaw.

When you contemplate what happened when they came to this problem, there was so much in the lack of foresight by multiple people working on the home, it is not even funny.

Then the fix...boy, I hope this builder doesn't build any more because this is butt ****ing ugly. This is actually quite a decent sized home. I'm guessing it is pushing 5000 sf.

There are multiple fixes that can make this look right. Raise the windows, make a bay pop out, a small flat roof in front of the windows, a different roof plane or pitch, ditch the trim on the bottom.....etc.

It's sad to see this happen. All it takes is a little paying attention and some brainstorming to fix.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Sometimes things just don't make sense around here. I would guess though that adding ac to the line item right from the get go would have been an extra 10-15K. We don't get the heat you get remember. We usually suffer through a few days and then it's tolerable. Thus the window units :laughing:

#7 ·
That looks like a really bad case of a property owner who had his bad design interpreted by a builder, neither of the two having a clue.

Hope you took the photo from the street.

Is it on a road where Google sent their fisheye streetview camera? Would like to see what else is in the neighborhood. Maybe the same builder did some other design dumps nearby.

#8 ·
Wow, a simple pitch modification to the front roof plane, shift the ridge toward the back a bit, bastard valley.....problem solved. Or is there something I'm not seeing there?:blink:

Reactions: bluebird5
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.