Wrap-around-stairs

Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Wrap-around-stairs

I am going to build a 48" wide x 42" deep landing (2"x10" framing), outside an entry door on the back of a house. The landing will be about 28" off the ground. It will have stairs (3 treads) that wrap around the 3 sides of the landing (4th side attached to house). I figure I will cut and install all the common stringers (tacking the corner ones in case I want to slide them back and forth). Then I will probably try to fit an outside corner (hip?) stringer in with only the top plumb cut and bottom seat cut. I will probably use a level across the common stringers (2"x12"s) to make some marks on the outside corner stringer. I'm not sure if I will double up these outside corner stringers. Either way the risers cuts will need 45 degree bevels. The decking will be 1"x4" fir. The risers will be PVC board. Any tips on how to mark and cut the outside stringers?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #2

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Wrap-around-stairs

there is two ways to do it.
(way one) Build your commons the normal way with your framing square, then build your hips with the same rise and with a run that is the ratio 12x16.3125 For example, if your rise was 6.5 inches and your run was 12 inches then for the hips, your rise would stay 6.5 inches and your run would become 16 5/16 of an inch.

(way two) Aka the cheater way just build progressively smaller platforms. If you are only doing 3 steps I think I would do it this way because not only is it less math, I bet it would be less work than trying to make jack-stringers intersect with your hip stringer properly. Not to mention you will be loosing a good deal of strength with such a big bite out of your hips. you will be shoring then up just as much as if you had build platforms anyway.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
General Contractor

Thanks for that great info! I framed the landing and cut all the common stringers today. I think I will build platforms as you suggested.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketoo View Post
Thanks for that great info! I framed the landing and cut all the common stringers today. I think I will build platforms as you suggested.
What is the run on the common stringers, 9-3/4"? I assume you made the rise 7".
Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
General Contractor

Yes, the run is 9 3/4". The rise is 7 1/4". I was hoping to land the stairs on an existing concrete paver block patio, but yesterday I pulled up the pavers. I dug a trench around the perimeter of the new stairs, so I can pour a solid level footing to land the stairs on. The footing will be about 12"x12"x22'. I am going to cut hip stringers for the outside corners.
I will do 9.750 x 16.3125 for the runs as suggested. I am still not sure how this will work. Will this calculation give me long points? Then I cut 45 degree bevels on the risers? I will cut an inch or so away from the riser marks so I can put the stringer in place, and see how things match up.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketoo View Post
Yes, the run is 9 3/4". The rise is 7 1/4". I was hoping to land the stairs on an existing concrete paver block patio, but yesterday I pulled up the pavers. I dug a trench around the perimeter of the new stairs, so I can pour a solid level footing to land the stairs on. The footing will be about 12"x12"x22'. I am going to cut hip stringers for the outside corners.
I will do 9.750 x 16.3125 for the runs as suggested. I am still not sure how this will work. Will this calculation give me long points? Then I cut 45 degree bevels on the risers? I will cut an inch or so away from the riser marks so I can put the stringer in place, and see how things match up.
If your run is 9.75", then your hip run is 13.78858" or 13-13/16".

Whenever you have something like a hip running at 45, then you can always multiply the run x the square root of 2, and that will be the run of your hip, or in your case your stringer hip.

All you have to do is draw on a piece of plywood or a 2x12 measure up from the corner on each end 9.75" and measure the diagonal and you'll see that you have 13-13/16". That will be the long points.

Here's a quick drawing that I did using two hip stringers. You will see how the 9-3/4" common stringer run creates a 13-13/16" hip run.

This is the reason why when framing a hip roof, you hold the square for example on a 5/12 pitch roof for the commons, you will hold the square on 5/17 for the hip plumbcut mark.

This is because if you draw a 12x12 square, when you measure the diagonal it's 16.97056" or 17" of run at 45
Attached Thumbnails
Wrap-around-stairs-hip-stringer.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Carola; 10-13-2007 at 03:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
BigW (09-29-2012), Brutus (09-21-2012)
Old 10-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #7

Trade: general

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola; View Post

This is because if you draw a 12x12 square, when you measure the diagonal it's 16.97056" or 17" of run at 45

I thought it was 16 5/16, not 16 15/16. I guess my memory failed me.
Good thing you were here to set us both straight.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
General Contractor

Hey I meant to thank you guys for the information on laying out hip stringers. That drawing was helpful. You saved me time and money. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrap-around-stairs-stairs35.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaketoo For This Useful Post:
Brutus (09-21-2012)
Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like you put a lot of work into it, and I bet they'll be happy with the finish
I can never figure out though, why people don't want to use the same footprint, and get more stoop, and less step They can't even lean the ol' snow shovel next to the door
A tip, next time if you run a 2X6 low between those corner stringers? You can nail/screw farther back from the miters on the tread, reduce chances of split-out.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #10

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 30

Looks real nice.

Now just wait till the BO tells you he wants handrails on it.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #11

Trade: handy man

but how do you do that if the steps need to be free standing( not connected to house)? I have to build the same exact steps but top platform is 36" X 48" with a total higth from ground to top of platform is 45".

Last edited by cowboycaddy; 09-21-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Forming and Framing

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,774

The dog is looking at you like "wtf man, how am i supposed to get into the house now"

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #13

Trade: Carpentry

You could also do this, with the stacked box method.

http://m436.photobucket.com/albumvie....jpg.html?o=15

http://m436.photobucket.com/albumvie...g.jpg.html?o=0

The Following User Says Thank You to Knottree For This Useful Post:
kambrooks (09-27-2012)