Working Alone

Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/ Carpentry
Rewards Points: 344

Working Alone

Hello guys I own a remodeling company and cover all sizes of projects getting tired of all the bs that goes with employees looking for advice from guys can I succeed as a one man outfit and just hire temp or subs when i need bigger crew?...All advice appreciated

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Trade: Construction Supervisor/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Working Alone

hello "gillisonconstru" I live and work in Massachusetts. To answer your question I will tell you how I work. I am a one man show, I sub out all of the work. I am a General Contractor/Construction Supervisor and that Is all I do. The reason why is because I believe it to be very difficult to do all of your office work and the project development. I make sure the project is completed on time and within budget. I wouldn't be able to run everything if I had to work eight hours on the job site and four hours of office work as well . I'm guessing maybe if it were small jobs you might be able to do it without compromise but I usually take on jobs in the 5-10 digit range.
So to sum it up . yes you can run a one man show but how much are you willing to compromise in order to get it done, thats the real question. Remember that hiring subs and temps are a gamble because they may not always be readily available. In my opinion focusing on the project parameters and keeping all subtrades working at a smooth pace pays off in the end.

Advertisement

Last edited by CSL; 03-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisonconstru
Hello guys I own a remodeling company and cover all sizes of projects getting tired of all the bs that goes with employees looking for advice from guys can I succeed as a one man outfit and just hire temp or subs when i need bigger crew?...All advice appreciated
I would answer your question, but it would be kind of contradictory. Unless you meant, you are looking for advice from us guys. ?
Can't tell, one sentence just converges with another.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/ Carpentry
Rewards Points: 344

Yes thats what I meant. I am looking for advice from the forum members. Was typing in frusterated haste. I apologize for the run on sentence.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
New Quirky Carpenter

If most of your projects are small enough for you to tackle yourself then definitely. Depends on the laws in your state.

You'll just need to find good subs.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
I usually take on jobs in the 5-10 digit range.
Holy cow man. I can't imagine the stress level of having to manage and account for something like 5 Billion dollars.

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:
BC Carpenter (04-22-2011), Cole82 (03-26-2011), MikeGC (03-27-2011), superseal (06-14-2011), thomasjmarino (05-28-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Trade: Construction Supervisor/General Contractor

I have never taken on a job that big as the sole general contractor only as one of the construction supervisors. I do not have the liability or bond requirements for a job that big. But again the point I wanted to bring across is that I am supervising the job and not actually constructing. It's not that I lack the experience in the trade because I started off as the gopher just like any one else but there comes a point when you have to make a decision , you either get your hands dirty or your a full time G.C. and make projected decisions pertaining to all subtrades on a project. ( 5 Billion Dollars as a sole General , I wish)

Last edited by CSL; 03-26-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: na
The Following User Says Thank You to CSL For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
New Quirky Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL
I have never taken on a job that big as a general contractor only as one of the construction supervisors. I do not have the liability or bond requirements for a job that big. But again the point I wanted to bring across is that I am supervising the job and not actually constructing. It's not that I lack the experience in the trade because I started off as the gopher just like any one else but there comes a point when you have to make a decision , you either get your hands dirty or your a full time G.C. and make projected decisions pertaining to all subtrades on a project. ( 5 Billion Dollars as a sole General , I wish)
That's well said.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 250

I am back to working by myself, effective the end of last year. I am happier now than I have been for some time. At the most I had 5 guys under me a few years ago. I do only remodel work, no more new construction. I sub out alll electrical and plumbing issues. I have a few jobs coming up this summer that I will hire some day labor for, but nobody permanent anymore. It's just easier for me, and I'm not really aggressive and gung-ho anymore. Yes, it can surely be done, where I live anyway. I think most things addressed on this forum have geographical limitations.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmrepairs
I am back to working by myself, effective the end of last year. I am happier now than I have been for some time. At the most I had 5 guys under me a few years ago. I do only remodel work, no more new construction. I sub out alll electrical and plumbing issues. I have a few jobs coming up this summer that I will hire some day labor for, but nobody permanent anymore. It's just easier for me, and I'm not really aggressive and gung-ho anymore. Yes, it can surely be done, where I live anyway. I think most things addressed on this forum have geographical limitations.
I'm about the same.... I sub out electrical(cuz I don't like sparks). Major plumbing situations are subbed as well as countertops, heavy glass... I have a really good drywall finisher and he also does general labor with me for 10 bux an hr. I also have some other buddies that have their own operation and we all help each other out when needed. I refuse to pay workers comp and unemployment out to lazy people that don't posess the work ethic that I have...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (04-11-2011), dprimc (04-10-2011), maxfederle89 (01-23-2018)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #11

Trade: cabinetry design, installation.
Rewards Points: 75

You know how in grade school your report card might say "does not get along well with others"? Well, that's why I work alone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whatsacubbard? For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (01-23-2018), Ragebhardt (04-03-2011), txgencon (04-26-2011), Willie T (04-03-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

In David Gerstel's Book "Running a Successful Construction Business" he states that this is the artisan type of company. A contractor works alone most or all of the time. He suggests that you work alone as much as possible and then use a carpenter labor pool for the times when you need a little help. Also, I sub out electrical and plumbing when I can too.
The Following User Says Thank You to BradingCon For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (01-23-2018)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: decking
Rewards Points: 87

I am getting way too old for the grief of employees. Stopped doing that 4 years ago. sometimes the wife helps out or i get subs. Have to say, I am having more fun than I have in 30 years doing what I do. Money is not as good, but stress and lifestyle is way way better.

Lorne
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #14

Trade: Home Improvement

I do smaller jobs and work almost exclusively alone. I am focusing on repair jobs, small remodels etc... I am currently working another job as well because I do not have enough work to keep me completely busy but I do not attribute this to my working alone.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,250

I've been a one man operation for almost two years and I'm quite happy with it. When I first went out on my own I did much of the work myself, especially smaller jobs. As I've gotten busier, and bigger jobs, I'm doing less and less work in the field and more of the managing of subcontractors. I'm now to the point where I sub almost 100% of my jobs. I do everything from small repairs to remodels to new construction. I've worked hard to brand myself not as a handyman but as a home construction professional, and run my business accordingly. I'm able to charge enough to pay for good subs and my overhead and still make a good salary and profit. It's a full time job working with owners, managing subs and vendors and I enjoy it as much or more as putting on my bags and working in the field. There's my two cents. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearded Wonder For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (01-23-2018), NHA (02-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I've been working alone for 3 yr. now & the biggest down side for me is that i've started talkin to myself. So now I want to hire someone simply cause I'm tired of listing to my own S all day long.

It wasn't so bad until I started loosing arguments with myself & realized that I can't even fire ME!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAW.co For This Useful Post:
Artworks (01-24-2018), maxfederle89 (01-23-2018)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpenter

I think if I couldnt have employees I would go work for someone else. I dont think of my company as me anymore I think of it as a seperate entity and I work for it. And my employees are my friends. And if im in the field I can go about a week and then it starts to feel like solitary confinement. I will wear my headphones and get my work done but after a week I need some one to bull**** with at break or lunch.
And yes I have taken the its not personal out of business and it does stop me from getting any bigger and hiring guys i dont trust. But I dont care I am really close to making the amount I want and everyone gets allong. They all make a union wage and I make just a little more.
The Following User Says Thank You to detroit687 For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (01-23-2018)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAW.co
I've been working alone for 3 yr. now & the biggest down side for me is that i've started talkin to myself. So now I want to hire someone simply cause I'm tired of listing to my own S all day long.

It wasn't so bad until I started loosing arguments with myself & realized that I can't even fire ME!
That is my problem in a nutshell... my previous workplace had workers to bs with in the shop in the am and some afternoons, secretaries to flirt with etc...
It hit me hard when I started my own company but CT definately helps
Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Getting lonely is the hardest thing, I hire guys now and again just for a bit of company otherwise I would. Go crazy.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/gc
Rewards Points: 250

Can't control the the the Voices in my head..

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Bweikel For This Useful Post:
Artworks (01-24-2018)