Weight Of PT Wood

Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 250

Weight Of PT Wood

Anyone have a guide or know a website that lists the general weight of various sized lumber, particularly PT lumber. I know the weight will vary based on moisture content, but I'm looking for ballpark numbers. (Or anyone have a guess at what a 6x6x12' PT weighes)?
Ultimately I'm trying to estimate how much lumber I can throw on my trailer before my truck pukes.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Weight Of PT Wood

You can dig around in here; http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...transport.html

I would think that soaked PT and a green hardwood would be reasonably close in weight.

Another way would be to calculate your total mass, use the kiln dried weight and then add the moisture content.

Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential custom home builder
Rewards Points: 150

We handled a bunch of treated 2x12s a few years back for a large deck. On a bet with my boss, we weighed them before and after a drying period leaned up against the shop. He thought we could significantly reduce their weight by letting them in the sun for a week. Well, no.

They were 12-16 feet long and weighed in at 170-200 lbs. each. They lost about 3-5% of their weight in that week. It was not worth the effort.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

I set 2 6x6x12' PT and 1 6x6x14' PT all by myself. So let me tell you HEAVY AS I would not recomend it but I would guess the ones I had to be around 130 - 160 for the 12' I could be more or it could be less... This was about 8 months ago and I try my best to forget that day. I did end up hurting my back setting those posts too.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Pro

Dang Rowdy, if that's right then a 6x6x16' is going to be about 350lbs. I guess that could be right. I was hoping it was closer to Robert's estimate, but I think he might be a little light. I might just go weigh them myself.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
carpenter and builder

Trade: carpenter and builder

I've just been working out some beam loadings and the figure which is generally used for softwood construction timber is 590 kilograms per cubic metre, which i reckon works out at about 37 lbs per cubic foot. If you work out the volume of your timber member you can calculate the wieght.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H
...for softwood construction timber...
That wouldn't be for PT though, would it?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

If those post are 350 then I am one buff mo fo I am only 5'3" and weigh 140 LBS myself I would bet they dont weigh much more than me.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
carpenter and builder

Trade: carpenter and builder

I assume by PT you mean pressure treated, and yes that would be for PT softwood, most of the construction timber we get is stuff like pine/hem-fir/douglas fir etc, and mostly PT. Once dried the PT isnt going to wiegh any more than non PT, (at least I dont think it does).
Like the others, i've picked up a wet 4x2 16' that damn near broke my back and yet have had 9x2 that you could sling around one handed, all depends on moisture content and if your thinking about truck loading then presumably your gonna be picking stuff up from the merchant and we all know how variable that can be. You should do what I do and thats keep piling it on until the truck's just about draggin it ass, LOL.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
jack of all, master of 1

Trade: carpenter/roofer
Rewards Points: 500

watch your trailer axles. If you can see your tire go out of plumb or the axle bend you probably have too much on it.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Soon to be senile

Trade: Remodel and repair

Geeeez...I really don't want to know how much the damn stuff weighs...I might start reconsidering carrying it any more. Did some 6x6x16's last week and I think I killed some brain cells.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
HouseWright

Trade: Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrafter74
Anyone have a guide or know a website that lists the general weight of various sized lumber, particularly PT lumber.
"Most of the weight added to treated wood comes from water used to solubilize the preservative components. A freshly treated piece of lumber may contain as much as 4.5 gallons of water per cubic foot or about 38 lbs. per cubic foot. As the wood dries and the water evaporates, only the preservative will remain. Lumber tagged for above-ground use should contain 0.25 pounds preservative per cubic foot and, for ground contact, 0.40 pounds per cubic foot."

treatedwood.com

That means that "green" PT lumber can weigh as much as 3 lbs/bf extra. Since KD SYP weighs about 2.2 lbs/bf, it could weigh as much as 5.2 lbs/bf PT green, and about 3.2 lbs/bf PT air-dried (3.8 lbs/bf for PT timbers).

Which means that Rowdy's 2x12-16 should have tipped the scale at about 102 lbs (not the 200 lbs he claimed unless they were fresh off the treatment plant), and RobertCDF's 6x6-14 should have weighed in at 160 lbs (just what he claimed).

- Robert
Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential custom home builder

Well, we picked them up and stepped on our bathroom scale. Take it or leave it. If they only weighed 100 lbs we wouldn't have had much to bitch about, would we? ;-)

It was 200. They were juicy, as most PT is.