Waterproof Deck Coating Over Finished Space. Need Advice On Products Plz.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 4

Waterproof Deck Coating Over Finished Space. Need Advice On Products Plz.

Hey there, I've been a member here since 2006 but for the life of me I can't remember what my username/password were so I've started a new account. If anyone knows how to figure out what it was using an email address or something that'd be great.

We're doing a new house project where theres a deck over a finished bedroom and it calls for a water proof deck coating. About 15 yrs ago I worked for a company that did these all the time but I was never the installer, the caulkers did all those. So I know they get done but I'm not familiar enough with them to know which products are best.

We've got a 1/4 slope on the joists, a layer of plastic sheeting on top of the joists, then 3/4" Edgegold underlayment, another layer of 4mil plastic sheeting, then 1/2 AC ply A side up. The galvi flashings at the deck to wall, threshold and capped over the edge.

The type of deck coatings I remember had that prep for the decks which is the part us carpenters did then they used seam tape on all the flashings, nail heads and seams. Lastly they rolled out some sort of elastomeric deck coating product like a very thick paint and sprinkled some sand on after rolling.

I'd love some advice on what the best product to use for this is. It won't get a ton of weather and is sloped in the direction that any water that does land on it will also be pushed by our normal wind direction to roll right off. I'm still very concerned about water getting in however. My roofer recommended some of the flat roof white plastic but it looks horrible for a nice deck and seems more likely to tear from a high heel or some thing and leak to me.

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

Re: Waterproof Deck Coating Over Finished Space. Need Advice On Products Plz.

Sherwin Williams has an elastomeric deck coating made by Super Deck, I think it is called Deck n Dock. Can be tinted and coverage is about 100 square feet per gallon. It is a very good product plan on two coats. Does not need a primer.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 776

Dex-O-Tex
https://dex-o-tex.com/products/WaterproofingDecking

Mike.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

I'd use a heavy rubber roofing material.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #5

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 102

dex-o-tex. It's the only one I trust as here in california there's a ten year look back for defects. Never a problem. I use a good installer and it's expensive so I lose some of that work. I looked at a couple million dollar restoration project which was primarily waterproofing and structural repair due to bad waterproofing in a condo complex. They had had five different systems over the years ( there was selective demo so the bidders could see them all) and they had all failed. I just did a job where someone had put the fiberglass system over the original dex-o-tex. Fiberglass had failed but the Dex-o-tex was still solid under it so we stripped and went on top. That was 40 years old
The Following User Says Thank You to calmod For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (09-20-2017)