Wall Framing Using Pressure Treated Lumber

Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Trade: handyman
Rewards Points: 75

Wall Framing Using Pressure Treated Lumber

I'm framing out a couple of basement walls and a Contractor's Desk employee at Home Depot said that code requires that any lumber touching concrete must be pressure treated, including the wall studs. I thought just the bottom plate had to be PT. (Yeah, I know , I shoudn't be getting advice from HD employees). What say you guys?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Wall Framing Using Pressure Treated Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckEA
I'm framing out a couple of basement walls and a Contractor's Desk employee at Home Depot said that code requires that any lumber touching concrete must be pressure treated, including the wall studs. I thought just the bottom plate had to be PT. (Yeah, I know , I shoudn't be getting advice from HD employees). What say you guys?
Well well well. Hd strikes one on the head. Use pt on your bottom plate and tell the dude to butt a stump when you see him again.

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/search/f..._moisture.html

Related for your project search this site and you will find the IRC codes you need.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

Trade: i am a small remodeling contractor been at this most my life
Rewards Points: 75

use pt for the sole plate not for your walls u do that and the walls will be bow city..tell that guy to stick with loading lumber..
Old 03-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: builder remodelor
Rewards Points: 250

Homedepot is correct in that common framing lumber must not be in direct contact with concrete,however your walls studs should not be touching the basementwalls but should be offset enough to allow for plumb/lining the walls and for the rigid foam(celotex tuff-r)that you should be useing to insulate.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #5

Trade: roofer
Rewards Points: 25

I use a vapor barrier fasten to mudplate right aganst block befor i build wall then keep wall 1/2"away from block and PT bottom plate
Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have not implemented this yet, but intend to on the next basement remodel. I will install 3/4" polystyrene directly agasint the masonary walls and tape joints. Then build my stud framed walls leaving 1" between foam and backside of studs.

Any opinons on this method other than the added expense?

Either way there should be an air space between the studs and the brick wall to allow air flow inside the wall to disipate mositure build up and help prevent mold build up so PT lumber is not needed if leaving the normally accepted 1" space between block wall and wood wall.