Stair Tread Notch/picture Frame

Old 09-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,161

Stair Tread Notch/picture Frame

Came across this image online and was wondering who has done this and how does it hold up?

I'm in PA with cold winters and hot summers, so I'm not sure if this concept would even work in my climate.

For those that have notched and covered the edge like this, how's it done?
Attached Thumbnails
Stair tread notch/picture frame-img_9497.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to philcav7 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (09-02-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,014

Re: Stair Tread Notch/picture Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcav7 View Post
Came across this image online and was wondering who has done this and how does it hold up?

I'm in PA with cold winters and hot summers, so I'm not sure if this concept would even work in my climate.

For those that have notched and covered the edge like this, how's it done?
Heh. That's my picture.

That was actually the first deck where I did my returns like that. I don't like the extra 1.5" scab on the bottom of the fascia but the HO asked for it after the fact and didn't care about the seam. The returns have been holding up well. I think the oldest one I've checked on recently was 4 years old.

I'd cut the returns on a tablesaw and miter saw and cut the front treads with a circ. saw from the back so I could over cut them a bit to get a clean joint. In the pic I only used one screw in the front tread but on later projects I would use 2. I put a little PL Premium on the joint for composite and PVC cement on PVC.

It's important to predrill the holes for the cortex screw and use a forstner for the plug. If you don't predrill the screw hole it will just spin out and not countersink and, on composite boards, if you don't drill a hole for the plug it will mushroom pretty badly.

On the rear tread I would oversize the hole in the return a fair bit so that the head would just catch to allow for some movement in the tread board. Just snug the cortex up enough to hold the return tight to the tread board. Predrill the plug hole first or you're going to have a hard time lining it up.

Our weather in RI is pretty much identical to yours so I think it would work for you.

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (09-03-2017), B.Johnson (09-03-2017), Rio (09-03-2017), TBM (09-05-2017), Tom M (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,161

Small world.

Does any adjustment for cool weather install need to be considered? I think I'm going to try this on encapsulated azek in a few weeks.

I was considering using a jig and router to cut the front board and finish of the inside of the angle with a jig saw. I will be testing some mock ups.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcav7 View Post
Small world.

Does any adjustment for cool weather install need to be considered? I think I'm going to try this on encapsulated azek in a few weeks.

I was considering using a jig and router to cut the front board and finish of the inside of the angle with a jig saw. I will be testing some mock ups.

Thanks.
Letting the screw to the back tread board float a bit seems to do the trick.

You could do it with a router if you have a lot to do or you're not comfortable freehanding miters. I never got around to making a jig and the circ saw went pretty quick but I did say I was going to make a jig every time I finished doing a run with this detail. I just figured out how far to overcut on the back side to get right up to the line on the front and marked it on my layout. It varies because of the saw and the board thickness. Any remaining little bit I cleaned up with a chisel.