Pole Barn Trusses

Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 14

Pole Barn Trusses

Hello everyone, We set trusses on a pole barn. We started to set them and did it buy taking two 4' levels and planing three trusses at a time. Every time we would put another truss on the level would be pulled from two trusses back and be placed on the new truss. It seemed that we were PLANING them and they would be in the correct locations. When we got done the peak isn't straight. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Pole Barn trusses-img_0991.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Donut �� enjoyer

Trade: B General Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Re: Pole Barn Trusses

most likely your wall isn't level. This is not the proper way to set trusses. String a line from end to end and fix. It should work.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,562

Hire a carpenter to fix them and build the rest of the barn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhark123 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-12-2017), griz (08-12-2017)

Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 44

Two things. One when you set trusses do not spin them around when you set them The trusses should be set like they come off the pile. You are seeing the results of the truss company jigs not be perfectly even.
Number two. the person on top should set the heal of the truss using the top plate as a guide. This means, do not let this person change.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdavid567 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-12-2017), deckman22 (08-13-2017), Unger.const (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 972

I think the only person that will notice that is the guy who set the trusses.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Joasis (08-13-2017), pinwheel (08-13-2017), ScipioAfricanus (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 36

Inconsistent trusses, not a perfectly straight wall, trusses not set at the same spot on the wall. Slap the purlins and barn metal on it, call it a lesson, and move on. Really not to bad for a barn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Dirtywhiteboy (08-12-2017), rrk (08-13-2017), Unger.const (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 9,838

You have got to be kidding me.....guess you can see why hiring a pro would have been a better option
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tghomeservice View Post
Hello everyone, We set trusses on a pole barn. We started to set them and did it buy taking two 4' levels and planing three trusses at a time. Every time we would put another truss on the level would be pulled from two trusses back and be placed on the new truss. It seemed that we were PLANING them and they would be in the correct locations. When we got done the peak isn't straight. Any suggestions?
Truss tails typically vary by 3/4".... You set the heels and cut the tails dude
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
sparehair (08-13-2017), Unger.const (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12

How you figure thats a pole barn with trusses set that way???

If it's worth doing.....

It's worth doing right....

I'd be embarrassed if i tried to charge someone for that mess....

You seem more like a diy'er than a contractor...

If you are a contractor sure hope you don't have any job signs out...
A&E Exteriors (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,166

Let's see your connection at the tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 6,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
Let's see your connection at the tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
connection to what at the tails
OK he seems to be gone,,,,
Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 40

There are several things going on here. None of them are the end of the world. I am going to assume this is your first pole barn. No big deal. We've all had our first. I can remember my first. I hired an experienced pole barn builder to help/teach me.

Your first mistake was using a 4' level to set trusses. This doesn't work. Ever. On anything. You need to plumb your walls, brace them, string them.

Also, pole barn trusses are typically at least 7' on center. (I said at least. It varies alot.) Not as close as you have them. I'm not sure what your roofing will be. Doesn't matter now, you've already done the work and spent the money.

First, have you put a string on your walls? It looks like your wall could be bowed. Maybe not, considering how you set the trusses, but a bow in the wall would easily cause what I'm seeing.

Let's start with the wall. Make sure it's good first.

Problems will come up. Let's not try to go back and figure out what you should have done. You can do that from now on. Let's take the situation as it is, and move forward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-13-2017), RyMar Builders (08-15-2017), ScipioAfricanus (08-13-2017), Unger.const (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
connection to what at the tails
OK he seems to be gone,,,,

The beam that his tails are sitting on.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark123 View Post
Hire a carpenter to fix them and build the rest of the barn
Hahaha so mean.....
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 334

Damn boys....pile on and we wonder why some guys never come back. I see maybe an inch out of alignment? So it isn't perfect. What some of you need is a bunch of us inspecting every job you do and finding fault.

To the original poster, if the walls are plumb, then pick the side that the heels are close to the same on the top plate. The trusses that are off the line, cut the nails loose or pull them, or whatever, and tap them over so the heels are perfect.

I will add this for some of you....I have seen one of our big truss makers here in Oklahoma City send out trusses that with the heels perfect on the plates, they had a wave like that. It ain't the end of the world. It is about structure at the end of the day, and those trusses are not going to fail.

BTW, I have run a lot of trusses where we set the gabble trusses up and run a tight line right down the center. This works when the trusses are stacked on the walls. If we crane set, then we may have all the trusses marked on the bottom chord for a reference, and a string line underneath.

There are dozens of ways to skin a cat. Help a new guy with positive solutions.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Jonbuild (08-13-2017), m2akita (08-13-2017), overanalyze (08-13-2017), Randy Bush (08-14-2017), rrk (08-13-2017), ScipioAfricanus (08-13-2017), sparehair (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tghomeservice View Post
Hang in there....you will learn, and even though some here seem like they were working the Ark with Noah, they all started somewhere.

My Facebook Page
Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
There are several things going on here. None of them are the end of the world. I am going to assume this is your first pole barn. No big deal. We've all had our first. I can remember my first. I hired an experienced pole barn builder to help/teach me.

Your first mistake was using a 4' level to set trusses. This doesn't work. Ever. On anything. You need to plumb your walls, brace them, string them.

Also, pole barn trusses are typically at least 7' on center. (I said at least. It varies alot.) Not as close as you have them. I'm not sure what your roofing will be. Doesn't matter now, you've already done the work and spent the money.

First, have you put a string on your walls? It looks like your wall could be bowed. Maybe not, considering how you set the trusses, but a bow in the wall would easily cause what I'm seeing.

Let's start with the wall. Make sure it's good first.

Problems will come up. Let's not try to go back and figure out what you should have done. You can do that from now on. Let's take the situation as it is, and move forward.
Great attitude when there are problems!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

I'd be embarrassed if i tried to charge someone for that mess....
Do you see something I don't?

Except for the wave in alignment, I don't see a real problem, and if this is in fact a barn, and purlins will be nailed down, and metal screwed down, it is structurally fine. Looks like he even used the metal spacers between trusses that are all the rage now. Blocking looks good.

If it were a home and you were decking the roof, then yes...I would fix it before I decked it because we all know it will show through and could be a problem later.

My Facebook Page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (08-14-2017), rrk (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
Damn boys....pile on and we wonder why some guys never come back. I see maybe an inch out of alignment? So it isn't perfect. What some of you need is a bunch of us inspecting every job you do and finding fault.

To the original poster, if the walls are plumb, then pick the side that the heels are close to the same on the top plate. The trusses that are off the line, cut the nails loose or pull them, or whatever, and tap them over so the heels are perfect.

I will add this for some of you....I have seen one of our big truss makers here in Oklahoma City send out trusses that with the heels perfect on the plates, they had a wave like that. It ain't the end of the world. It is about structure at the end of the day, and those trusses are not going to fail.

BTW, I have run a lot of trusses where we set the gabble trusses up and run a tight line right down the center. This works when the trusses are stacked on the walls. If we crane set, then we may have all the trusses marked on the bottom chord for a reference, and a string line underneath.

There are dozens of ways to skin a cat. Help a new guy with positive solutions.
Dude, have you ever in your life seen a professional carpenter use a 4' level to plane truss tails while setting?

No None of this is the end of the world nor will it ever be noticeable after the roof is decked, but still.....come on setting trusses with a 4' level? Come on..this guy is a DIYer

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 08-13-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12

Perhaps if the individual started his post with "hey I'm a new guy that doesn't have a clue what I'm doing" may have received a different response.

Setting trusses is an extremely basic construction practice often performed by lower level carpenters. I have never seen anyone try to set trusses in the manner the OP did.

From his picture and description it is doubtful he is even building a pole barn.

Judging from our past practices on here that post should have been quickly shut down and sent to the DIY folks.

I believe this post came on the heels of that paperboy idiot who somehow signed for 12g worth of extras he did not know about.

Kind of had me in the wrong frame of mind.....

Part of what is wrong with our industry is the appearance of so many individuals who have little or no knowledge of basic construction means and methods not to mention even basic business knowledge.

I do not mind helping guys out who are new and demonstrate a desire to learn. But do not try an BS me that you know more than you do.

As for not being born with 30 years experience and the need to continually learn, I could not agree with you more.

Advertisement

A&E Exteriors (08-13-2017), TBM (08-13-2017)