Let's Talk About Tables

Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,996

Let's Talk About Tables

I watched some guys on TV build a table. Some live edge stuff, rough saw cuts visible and so forth. No attention to the seams other that butting them up. ONLY nailing everything together and bragging about the old nails. No glue. No joining methods. Just nailing some stuff together. No power tools which they bragged that it put the table a step up from modern methods when I see it as a step down. It appraised at 3500. When I saw the lack of attention to detail on this table it floored me. Now I build tables, bars etc... but I spend time to make things as strong and beautiful as possible. It's hard work. Am I missing the boat? Do I need to start buying 2x12s and break out the framing nailer? I mean I love what I do but damn.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 5,178

Re: Let's Talk About Tables

While Norm was rockin' the wood working channel at his peak, along came "The Woodright Shop" doing it old school with nothing but hand tools. Which one makes more sense?

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 186

Sometimes crap just looks good to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (07-21-2017), hdavis (07-22-2017), illbuildit.dd (07-21-2017), pinwheel (07-23-2017)

Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
I watched some guys on TV build a table. Some live edge stuff, rough saw cuts visible and so forth. No attention to the seams other that butting them up. ONLY nailing everything together and bragging about the old nails. No glue. No joining methods. Just nailing some stuff together. No power tools which they bragged that it put the table a step up from modern methods when I see it as a step down. It appraised at 3500. When I saw the lack of attention to detail on this table it floored me. Now I build tables, bars etc... but I spend time to make things as strong and beautiful as possible. It's hard work. Am I missing the boat? Do I need to start buying 2x12s and break out the framing nailer? I mean I love what I do but damn.
Don't believe everything you see/hear on TV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-21-2017), pinwheel (07-23-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,531

Quote:
What I've been saying about live edge tables/chairs/counter/whatever "Half the work and sells for double the price"
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
That's exactly what I thought word for word
Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
What I've been saying about live edge tables/chairs/counter/whatever "Half the work and sells for double the price"
My last four counter/bar/table tops have been live edge and I don't really push them. I just produce what is asked for. I must say I do like live edge, but everything in between is solid and legitimately built.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #8
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
While Norm was rockin' the wood working channel at his peak, along came "The Woodright Shop" doing it old school with nothing but hand tools. Which one makes more sense?

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/
I do enjoy all styles of woodworking and have appreciation for all of it. But that norm man he's like "now I will put a log in this end of the machine and an entertainment center will come out of the other end". His machinery is nice.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,753

Yeah, you guys are missing the boat. American Primitive is a style of sorts, and some people REALLY go for it. Nails, carpenter's hatchet, auger, simple methods with a fairly crude product. The crudeness (crudity?) is part of the charm.

Here is one example - notice the nail joinery - only $1900:

https://www.chairish.com/product/382...-kitchen-table
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
That's why Home Depot, Lowes, Pottery Barn, etc do so well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rblakes1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Pro

A couple pointers - cut nails go with the style, but antique cut nails are the most desirable. I have a friend who does restoration work for museums (and anyone who can pay), and I periodically give him a bunch of old cut nails I salvage.

Old "barn boards" are very desirable for this type of stuff. People love the character. $25/ bd ft for good ones being sold to high end projects.

That 30" wide 25' barn board you're thinking about trashing? $1500 to the right market. It'll make a bunch of table tops....
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #12
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Yeah, you guys are missing the boat. American Primitive is a style of sorts, and some people REALLY go for it. Nails, carpenter's hatchet, auger, simple methods with a fairly crude product. The crudeness (crudity?) is part of the charm.

Here is one example - notice the nail joinery - only $1900:

https://www.chairish.com/product/382...-kitchen-table
My god man..... that looks like a kindergarten class all pitched in and made it. I'm wondering if I should cut my work load in half and make double the money. Or just make a few of those junky looking tables and put em on the internet.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
My god man..... that looks like a kindergarten class all pitched in and made it. I'm wondering if I should cut my work load in half and make double the money. Or just make a few of those junky looking tables and put em on the internet.
Find an interior designer who is into the American primitive furniture style (s).

OR, you can do like an old codger around here did back in the 60s. He had some of the old mineral pigment deposits on his property, so he'd make up his own paint, make the primitive chair, paint it, distress it, throw it in the attic to gather some dust, then sit on his porch in the summer watching the people drive by. Someone would see what he was sitting on, and rob him blind, only paying a few hundred dollars for a piece worth a thousand.

He'd always tell them it wasn't worth much, it was just something he took down from the attic, but he liked it and wasn't that interested in selling it.
illbuildit.dd (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
First rule - putting a name to it makes it worth more. "American primitive" automatically makes it worth more than "Joe's Junk Pile". If you can identify it as some regional substyle, that can make it worth even more. The people who made this stuff were looking to have something to eat off of or sit on, and they didn't much care to have it more than that.

Yes, reproductions can be worth every bit as much as the real thing - look at the live edge twist. That's something you don't see on most of the old tables, but it's a design feature people want now.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #15
House surgeon

Quote:
A couple pointers - cut nails go with the style, but antique cut nails are the most desirable. I have a friend who does restoration work for museums (and anyone who can pay), and I periodically give him a bunch of old cut nails I salvage.

Old "barn boards" are very desirable for this type of stuff. People love the character. $25/ bd ft for good ones being sold to high end projects.

That 30" wide 25' barn board you're thinking about trashing? $1500 to the right market. It'll make a bunch of table tops....
I got and offer to salvage some 120 year old barn wood the other day. I better get some. These things are rare.
The Following User Says Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #16
House surgeon

Quote:
Find an interior designer who is into the American primitive furniture style (s).

OR, you can do like an old codger around here did back in the 60s. He had some of the old mineral pigment deposits on his property, so he'd make up his own paint, make the primitive chair, paint it, distress it, throw it in the attic to gather some dust, then sit on his porch in the summer watching the people drive by. Someone would see what he was sitting on, and rob him blind, only paying a few hundred dollars for a piece worth a thousand.

He'd always tell them it wasn't worth much, it was just something he took down from the attic, but he liked it and wasn't that interested in selling it.

I do know some designers.... I'm going to give it a shot
hdavis (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
I got and offer to salvage some 120 year old barn wood the other day. I better get some. These things are rare.
You pay to salvage, or you get paid to salvage? Either way, around here, the best prices are paid by companies doing displays. They don't want paint on them, just the nice old rough sawn surface. Furniture gives you more latitude.

IMO, learn to understand and appreciate the style and you'll do a lot better building and marketing the stuff.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
House surgeon

Quote:
You pay to salvage, or you get paid to salvage? Either way, around here, the best prices are paid by companies doing displays. They don't want paint on them, just the nice old rough sawn surface. Furniture gives you more latitude.

IMO, learn to understand and appreciate the style and you'll do a lot better building and marketing the stuff.
I have a friend with a sawmill (I've only known him a little over a year) whom I met because he had good prices on walnut. He started adding on to his house four years ago and I've been helping him finish it up when he gets a few bucks gathered. We've been taking wood off of two old barns to put on some walls in the house and he told me I could have whatever I could take off of them as well. I thought "man I don't want that crap"... but maybe now I do.
hdavis (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:

We happen to have a barn from the 1860's that is coming down on it's own. It has been shored up and repaired many times over the last 100+ years, but it is beyond repair these days. No one has kept it up over the last 40 years.

Our challenge is finding a crew to take it down, and pay us for it, that is bonded and insured. It is a dangerous job taking old barns down and trying to carefully save the boards. There comes a point for free, errr a few gallons of diesel, the dozer can knock it down and crush it into little pieces safely. Heck it sounds kinda fun even!

The really old square nails are found holding many of our out buildings together.

Rotation attempt failed!
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about tables-fullsizeoutput_1f09.jpeg   Let's talk about tables-_abc2427.jpeg   Let's talk about tables-_abc2424.jpeg  
hdavis (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:58 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
No but I have seen that SAME table offered for FREE on Craigslist, but no one would take it.

I am one who likes live edge work, rough sawn timber, and old antiques, but please let me use my modern tools to work with them...

Advertisement

illbuildit.dd (07-22-2017)