Joining Hollow Core Doors - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Joining Hollow Core Doors

Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 64

Joining Hollow Core Doors

I'm currently working on a basement renovation, the client is pretty much at their max budget. They have a set of bi-fold doors spanning a 48" opening that leads to a home office. The ceiling is getting painted flat black, I'm trimming out the top of the drywall with flat casing.

Given that the basement will have an updated, somewhat contemporary look, I'd like to convert the exiting bi-fold doors to a barn door. Aside from glue, does any have suggestions on how best to secure all 4 panels into a single door given they are hollow core? I don't want to risk a return visit 3 month down the line if I can't come up with a good solution.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,106

Re: Joining Hollow Core Doors

How about pulling the hinges, pocket screw or dowel the side rails then run a solid piece of 5/4 across the top and across the bottom. Even angle iron if the inside is not visible. Thats a cheap option

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,246

If they’re out of money it’s time to stop working. Not look for ways to cobble the rest of the job and be on the hook for said cobbles.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (03-15-2018), greg24k (03-16-2018), Irishslave (03-15-2018), john5mt (05-17-2018), KAP (03-15-2018), MarkJames (03-15-2018), mrcat (03-16-2018), pinwheel (03-20-2018), tang (03-16-2018)

Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,515

Since it's modern, how about getting two hollow flat slabs and connecting those instead? Then there's just one joint to worry about vs 3 and less headache. glue, biscuits, pocket screws, etc.

I saw a new high end home get those and it was funny at the time....I wonder how they held up. The same house had a large steam shower bathroom with floor to ceiling glass walls on a 12x16 footprint. I guess that's where they burned their budget.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
How about pulling the hinges, pocket screw or dowel the side rails then run a solid piece of 5/4 across the top and across the bottom. Even angle iron if the inside is not visible. Thats a cheap option
I like the idea about running 5/4 along the top and bottom, and the dowels too.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
If they’re out of money it’s time to stop working. Not look for ways to cobble the rest of the job and be on the hook for said cobbles.
X2 out of money? then you're out of a contractor. period. Good luck finding someone to finish for free. If you find them let me know...I'll put them to work.
Big Johnson (03-15-2018), Bull Trout (03-15-2018), KAP (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Since it's modern, how about getting two hollow flat slabs and connecting those instead? Then there's just one joint to worry about vs 3 and less headache. glue, biscuits, pocket screws, etc.

I saw a new high end home get those and it was funny at the time....I wonder how they held up. The same house had a large steam shower bathroom with floor to ceiling glass walls on a 12x16 footprint. I guess that's where they burned their budget.
My time to dick around with that would be more than the cost of buying a decorative barn door or two. Or (2) 24” slabs of my customers choice.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Whoa big fella, how does max budget equal out of money? Their basement is nothing but a kids play room, they're allocating money for other parts of the house.

Last I checked an off the shelf unit that size is at least $400, this wont take more than an hour of my time. I'm pretty happy with my daily rate, but it doesn't break down to $400 an hour.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch01 View Post
Whoa big fella, how does max budget equal out of money? Their basement is nothing but a kids play room, they're allocating money for other parts of the house.

Last I checked an off the shelf unit that size is at least $400, this wont take more than an hour of my time. I'm pretty happy with my daily rate, but it doesn't break down to $400 an hour.
If you’re so sure of yourself why are you asking us? You should be telling us...... “hey guys, look at this awesome basement I finished with kickass repurposed bifolds that saved my customers money and made me some bank.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
john5mt (05-17-2018), pinwheel (03-20-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,106

It is a contractor forum. Ideas..... Shop talk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
asevereid (03-15-2018), greg24k (03-16-2018), KAP (03-16-2018), onmywayup (03-16-2018), parkers5150 (03-16-2018), Rio (03-16-2018), SuperiorHIP (03-20-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,486

Get a 48" slab and call it a day.

Not only you will save your customer money and leave them with something that looks hacked up, you will save yourself some time dealing with BS.
Big Johnson (03-16-2018), KAP (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 28,582

Quote:
I like the idea about running 5/4 along the top and bottom, and the dowels too.
Quote:

It's not just an hour though right? Even employing a solution like Tom mentioned above, unless you have leftover material onsite from another phase of the projects you're doing, you still have to get the materials (there and back), setup/breakdown to be able to work the doors, cutting, gluing, clamping, nailing, filling, sanding, prime/paint, then re-install... if you can do all that in an hour, hat's off to you, but my guess is more like a minimum of half-day when all is said and done... even if your daily rate is only $400, that's $200 in labor PLUS materials someone has to pay for... keep in mind, it's still only going to look like an applique because it's not going to have the traditional features that most people associate with a barn door...

You might want to instead consider doing yourself and your customer a solid and selling them on a just getting a new door...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (03-16-2018), tang (03-16-2018), Tom M (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,783

This isn't going to look like a barn door, and looks is the most important thing. You can get a decent look with 2 sheets of beadboard and a basic wood framework.

Last edited by hdavis; 03-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,340

Here's a photo of a faux barn door, these were originally 3' wide hollow core by-pass closet doors. That's stained cedar fencing that was glued screwed and tattoed onto the door(s). It's worked great and was inexpensive.

I think something like that would be an affordable alternative and would cost less than trying to get the door pieces to all stay together in plane.
Attached Thumbnails
Joining Hollow Core Doors-cheap-barn-door.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Artworks (03-18-2018), pinwheel (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 766

if it's a 48" opening AND a home office, you need a door that's wider than 48" so that the gap is covered. The air gap around the door will allow noise to come in.

with the time involved with glueing up 4 12" panels buying 2 24" hollow core doors is cheaper. I've seen dual doors but never one large 48" door, that will be interesting.

If you are set on making the 4 panels into one, bonding them all together with a solid piece of wood on top and bottom while glueing each door to the other, would be the way I may tackle it.

Advertisement