How Much Should I Charge...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Not a new guy

Trade: Frame and finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

How Much Should I Charge...

Now that I have everyone's attention....How much do you charge friends and family? Enough to survive? I recently moved back to my home town after 8 years of being away (I'm 30). Now, everybody I know wants stuff done. I've done quite a bit of free work. I built a roof over my mom's porch, ripped up my best friends kitchen and bathroom floors and tiled them, and have done lots of misc. stuff for other friends. I charge $35/hr on everyone else. Friends and family, maybe $20 or $15 (depending on the length of the job). If it's a one or two dayer, I work for free, otherwise, I've got to charge.
I'm just curious what everyone else out there charges friends and family, cause I know everyone on this site is faced with this dilemma.

Oh, and sorry to let everyone down. I know ya'll saw the thread topic and came in ready to flame.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Re: How Much Should I Charge...

This thread is now locked.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

I can wish, can't I?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,070

Twice full price and dinner.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 664

Im lucky that I dont have a lot of family to do this with, but everyone got one project at about half price... I built a laundry room addition for my brother, a 20x20 Ipe deck for my mother, and a kitchen for my in-laws. The price usually covers materials, lunch and gas and maybe a few bucks extra to give to the wife. Of course any little necessary fixes around their homes are freebies, but I'd better get a cold beer and a sandwich out of 'em...

Long Island Remodeling Contractor
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

I am 1 of 10 siblings. I used to think the thing to do was give them a break and work for peanuts.

I guess I have a harder shell nowadays, I will always do whatever for good ole mom. Come on, it's mom. Also, she lives in a senior building and they do the upkeep. But she still needs the AC put in, taken out, or a drawer tweaked, etc.

My no.1 bro lives almost as far south of me as he can get and stay in the country.But for him I would drop what I was doing and go down if needed. But he runs his own trim carpentry business and doesn't need it.

But the rest anymore, no discount. It is either absolutely free (and they better be rolling up their sleeves too) or full charge and stay out of the way. This spring I was beat out by the competition on building a garage for my brother-in-law and sis. They found a guy for literally 1/2 of what I quoted and I wouldn't budge.

They did have a dicey moment when pouring the slab. When the truck left after pouring what was ordered the forms were only half full. He had to make some hurry up calls and pay a premium to get another truck out there quick. No regrets on my part.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

Trade: Building/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I see no good basis for a significant discount to anyone, unless you wish to give them a gift.

If someone receives a room addition for less than market cost, they benefit financially by the amount of the discount. If your friend's property value increases due to your labor, will he give you the difference when he sells the house, or will he pocket it?

Giving a small discount, 5 or 10%, yeah, I can see that. But 1/2 price? Free? Nahh... If they accept that, as if it were right that you work for them below your normal rate, they are taking advantage of you.

My policy for family and friends is to maybe not add as much in the contingency, profit, mark-up, and extra profit categories....

Just my 2ȼ
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing and Trimwork
Rewards Points: 77

I have a large family at least 50 aunts uncles borthers sisters cousins and to add onto that their family. For larger family jobs (sheds decks additions etc)i do accept money about 25 bucks per hour because i am working. Some members of my family are semi handy so if i build them a shed i lay out the rafters and cut them, lay out walls with windows and doors give them my cell number if there is any questions. 2 weekends later i show how to install windows, trim, starter courses of siding and roofing, show how to make door. I get a 99 gift card makes it less ockward than money itself. But my family is pretty good if they give me a check or cash i say "no i cant accept this" they say "no i insist take it" so i take it. Bottom line is if you work you get paid.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Familys family try to hook them up the best you can you know they would do the same. Friends I allways try to trade services ive got a friend that owns a printshop i built a set of stairs for him and he hooked me up with some really cool graphic design work. But its harder in construction because it seems like every job we do takes a part out of you physically.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath

Someone I used to work for told me years ago that friends and family don't ask you to do work for them to get a price break, they just know you'll do a good job for them.

In an industry where our work comes overwhelmingly from referrals you can hardly start giving people "breaks" just because they know you...

On the other hand, if you already have a strong company and are making income that exceeds your goals, then by all means give them a discount.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

doing work at a discount for friends can come back and bite you. if they are not happy or if they misunderstand what was to be done, it can cost you in the end. on the same idea, never hire family or friends
Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Carpenter

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

I agree with "Davidc", Mom gets all done for free. Alot of the times I even buy the materials if it ain't too much. Friends & other family, depending on who they are, I will usually work for $15 bucks @ hr or trade work out with em. If it's a small job they just gotta buy the beer & hold the dumb end of the tape measure.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Carpenter/Finisher

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 640

Mom and Dad i do work for free maybe mom or dad in law. Everyone else is full price and if they do something for me i pay them full price. Just easier that way. For friends if i dont feel like i am able to do it for free i charge full price. Whenever you give someone a deal they still want your labor at top quality. Been screwed way too many times giving friends deals.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Don't ever mix business with your friends or family.

If you decide to do some work for them....volunteer.

Only bad feelings will come out of it.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 980

work for free or don't touch it. A friend wanted glass block windows installed in her basement.I said OK, $25.00 an hour.She found someone cheaper....Sister in law wanted her bathroom romodeled.Insisted on paying regular rate (no family deals).I said OK,$45.00 an hour,and I'll show her husband how to do some of the stuff so they can save.(gutting,painting,etc.).She actually said she was "flabbergasted" that I would charge so much.(They have the money).they can find someone cheaper but I won't touch it.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry

free and they help or full price plus a pita charge, I mean, come on, they are family, they can be a pita.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management

eleventy thousand
Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #18

Trade: Green Building
Rewards Points: 25

It seems there is a lot of sentiment to charge full or go free. I can understand that but as a new guy in the trades just starting out friends and family can be a great way to still make "some" money and get on the job learning.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC, I specialize in Hydronic Heating and more specifically in Radiant Floor Heating

I believe friends and family should get a 50% discount for being my friend or part of my family. I also believe that since i am their friend and part of my family they should pay me a 50% premium.

Or alternatively, we can call it even and do it at the regular price.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
Plumber / Carpenter

Trade: Virginia Building and plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22rifle View Post
I believe friends and family should get a 50% discount for being my friend or part of my family. I also believe that since i am their friend and part of my family they should pay me a 50% premium.

Or alternatively, we can call it even and do it at the regular price.
What if the person is a part of a friendly family?